Mission Statement for Processing Services
Processing Services actively supports USCís academic mission and the University Librariesí mission of making resources and information
available quickly and accurately to the University community.
Processing Services staff uses all available tools to acquire resources through ordering, receiving, and processing; providing
organization and enhanced bibliographic access; and physical maintenance and processing.
Working in a timely and cost-efficient manner, Processing Services utilizes the expertise of its staff, follows national standards
and guidelines and adapts its processes to accommodate the rapidly changing technological environment and needs of our patrons in
order to provide access to the librariesí resources.
By organizing available information resources via the libraryís website and online catalog, the Processing Services staff supports
the teaching and research needs of faculty, staff and students and the support role of Public Service librarians in helping them
to identify, select, and locate materials that will best contribute to their thinking, research, and writing.
ACQUISITIONS is responsible for obtaining materials, in all
formats, for the University Libraries and all Senior and Regional campuses, processing of library material, efficient payment,
record-keeping and maintenance of serial resources.
BINDING & PREPARATIONS is responsible for all
functions relating to commercial binding of the University Librariesí collection, for labeling and re labeling of materials for
University Libraries and all Senior and Regional campuses and the processing of materials being sent to the Annex.
- Obtaining materials consists of ordering, receiving and claiming items for the library collections.
- Processing of library materials includes bibliographic control, organization and physical preparation of items for use and circulation.
- Efficient payment and record-keeping include the expertise of establishing and maintaining accounts as well as furnishing information
about library material purchases to the information seeker.
- Maintenance of serial resources includes the claiming, problem solving, and general management of electronic journals.
CATALOGING is responsible for providing bibliographic
control and organization for all format types and for maintaining bibliographic control and organization of library materials in
collections and databases for University Libraries and all Senior and Regional campuses.
- Functions relating to binding include the physical collection of periodical and serial titles from the stacks, preparation of all
material types prior to shipment to the commercial bindery and the maintenance of bibliographic information relating to the materials
throughout the binding procedure.
- Performs labeling and re labeling of materials as needed.
- Responsible for the physical collection and status changes in the database to materials being sent to the Annex.
- Providing bibliographic control and organization of all library materials includes the technical evaluation, manipulation, or
creation of information according to national and local library guidelines and procedures.
- Maintaining bibliographic control and organization of library materials includes the monitoring and updating of database
information to keep it current and consistent.
- Responsible for review and development of cataloging policies, descriptive and subject cataloging and classification of materials.