The University South Caroliniana Society is the private, non-profit patron organization of the South Caroliniana Library, a research unit within the University of South Carolina Library system. The Society exists to meet the following diverse goals:
The Society was founded in 1937 at the invitation of University President J. Rion McKissick and the Caroliniana Committee of the University in order to help build the University's South Carolina Collection. In 1940, the rapid growth of this collection caused the University trustees to designate the beautiful and historic Greek revival-style South Carolina College Library as the South Caroliniana Library, "Caroliniana" meaning "things pertaining to Carolina."
To assure the permanence of its work, the Society was incorporated in 1951. Since that time the Society has functioned as a private, non-profit organization whose sole purpose is to assist the Library in achieving its mission. Distinguished success has attended this joint program of a state-supported institution and a private organization. Gifts of materials from members of the Society become the property of the Library and are cared for by its professional staff. Income from the Society endowment and dues are primarily devoted to purchases of South Carolina materials. A president, secretary-treasurer, and executive council administer the affairs of the Society and, as its responsible officers, are in position to act as its trustees for patrons desiring to make special gifts or bequests.
Become a Member
To inform Ann Troyer, the Society Secretary, of your interest in the University South Caroliniana Society, please fill out the form below.
Send comments to Carroll Peters.