Orin Crow (1896–1955), a Spartanburg County native, received his BA degree from the University of South Carolina in 1917 while attending the First Officers Training Camp at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in the only USC commencement ever held outside the state. After serving in France as a lieutenant in World War I, he began his teaching career as principal of Hartsville High School. In 1925 he joined the University of South Carolina as professor of education and in 1930 succeeded Dr. Patterson Wardlaw as dean of the School of Education, having earned his MA and PhD degrees from Peabody College. Under Dr. Crow's guidance the present education building was erected, and University High School was organized. Called to active duty with the National Guard in January 1941, he was given a leave of absence by the University and served in the United States Field Artillery until the end of World War II, rising to the rank of full colonel. A few years after his return to USC he became Dean of the Faculty.
As a student at Carolina, Orin Crow participated in the Clarisophic Literary Society, won oratorical honors, and was editor of The Gamecock. As a professor, he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and served as the USC chapter president.
Prominent in Columbia's civic organizations, Dr. Crow served as president of the Kiwanis Club, the English-Speaking Union, and the Music Festival Association. He was also adjutant of the Richland Post of the American Legion and a member of the Columbia Housing Authority and of Kosmos.
An author and long-time member of the University of South Carolina Society, he was especially interested in preserving materials related to the state of South Carolina: its history, its literature, its music, its art, and its drama.
Funds generated by the Orin F. Crow Acquisition and Preservation Endowment will provide for the purchase of materials for the South Caroliniana Library, as they become available, and for the preservation of aging documents. For more information, please contact us.
Send comments to Carroll Peters.