Sylvia Beach & Shakespeare and Company
Sylvia Beach's bookshop and lending-library on the Left Bank, Shakespeare and Company, was the major distribution point in Paris for English-language modernist books and periodicals, and, with its near-neigbor, Adrienne Monnier's La Maison des Amis des Livres, a central meeting place for the expatriate literary community. Beach had founded her bookshop in 1919 on returning from work in Serbia during the Great War with the American Red Cross. Shown here are an advertisement for the two shops (from one of Monnier's publications), a picture of the bookshop (from a USIS exhibit catalogue, 1960), Beach's account of first meeting James Joyce (from her Ulysses in Paris, 1966), and the first periodical text of T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land (from The Dial, 1922), promoted by Beach with a special window-display.
1 2 3 4 >>>