Newsletter of the University South Caroliniana Society
| Front Page | About the Society | South Caroliniana Library | Search USC |
University South Caroliniana Society
62nd Annual Meeting
Dr. Christine Heyrman from the University of Delaware talks with Society members while Dr. Jessica Kross of USC looks on from podium. Dr. Heyrman spoke on the topic, "Holy Wars in the Old South: Or, The Battle among Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians."
The University South Caroliniana Society celebrated its 62nd annual meeting on Saturday, May 16, with a morning reception and exhibit at the South Caroliniana Library followed by a luncheon and business meeting in the Russell House. The exhibit of manuscript, printed, and visual materials acquired by the library during 1997 as a result of gifts by Society members and acquisitions through the use of dues and other income highlighted the reception. The Dick Goodwin jazz trio provided music, and the library's special "Reception punch" provided sustenance. Among the collections on exhibit are the papers of Stanley F. Morse, Mrs. Caroline McKissick Dial, the Pinckney and Hayne families, and Clements and Katharine Ball Ripley. Selections from recently acquired visual materials, including stereographs and daguerreotypes are also featured in the exhibit. Modern Political Collections is represented by selections from the William Jennings Bryan Dorn and C. Bruce Littlejohn papers.
Society President Harvey S. Teal presided at the luncheon and business session in the Russell House ballroom. Retiring Executive Council members Carol Bleser, Isadore Lourie, and Rex Wilson were recognized for the service. Elected to succeed them were Belinda Gergel, Harry Lightsey, and John McLeod. President Teal's report to the membership entitled "Rain Drops and Silent Drums" called attention to the fact that during its history, the University South Caroliniana Society "has showered the University with...gifts of money and South Carolina historical materials such as manuscripts, books, pamphlets, maps, photographs, sheet music, picture postcards and works of art on paper in a manner that might be described as raindrops falling on a receptive host....As a Society we quietly went about the business of preserving South Carolina's history and heritage and had less concern about `beating the drums' to publicize what we were doing....let me hasten to add that the true value of our `Raindrops' is not monetary. It is historical. Collectively, these `Raindrops' have formed into a tremendous stream of South Carolina historical materials flowing into the South Caroliniana Library, and thereby creating a...critical mass...to justify scholars from far and wide to come and use them. What the Library has become is an historical research laboratory."
Following his remarks, President Teal called upon the Society to honor and recognize several individuals who have made gifts and bequests that will enable the library to acquire collections and to conserve what we have already collected. Dr. Daniel W. Hollis, USC Distinguished Professor Emeritus of History and author of the sesquicentennial history of the university, has established the Daniel Walker Hollis Endowment for the Acquisition and Preservation of Materials on South Carolina History. Dan Hollis, pictured here with his wife Peggy, was among those honored with a framed print of the Caroliniana.
Dr. Robert K. Phillips, who teaches English at Lander University, has established the Robert I. and Swannanoa Kenney Phillips Libraries Endowment to honor his parents and his family's long commitment to the University of South Carolina.
Mrs. Gladys Ingram of Hartsville is a daughter of Professor John C Hungerpiller who had a long and distinguished career in public education in South Carolina. Professor Hungerpiller was also a poet and editor of a 1931 anthology entitled South Carolina Literature. Mrs. Ingram has made a bequest of a half million dollars to the College of Education to honor her father's contributions in public education and a half million dollars to establish the John C Hungerpiller Library Research Fund to further the work of the South Caroliniana Library.
Society President Harvey S. Teal with Mrs. Gladys H. Ingram (r.), her sister and brother-in-law, Mrs. Sloan H. and Deward B. Brittain.
The Secretary-Treasurer reported that in 1997 the Society received $22,410 in dues and endowment contributions and $37,623 in interest and dividend income. The fund's balance at the end of the year was $859,308, an increase of $297,711 since 1996. The fund's market value stood at $1,477,132, an increase of $304,476 during the year. The Society contributed $34,350 of accumulated dues and investment income to purchase printed, pictorial, and manuscript Caroliniana for the library's collections. The Society continued to provide financial support to two nationally recognized editorial projects at the University of South Carolina, The Papers of Henry Laurens and The Papers of John C. Calhoun, with contributions of $1,500 to each project.
Dr. Christine Heyrman, professor of History at the University of Delaware, was introduced by Dr. Jessica Kross of the University of South Carolina Department of History. Professor Heyrman received her Ph.D. degree from Yale University where she studied under Dr. Edmund Morgan. Among her publications are Commerce and Culture: The Maritime Communities of Colonial Massachusetts, 1690-1750 and Southern Cross: The Beginnings of the Bible Belt. The title of her address was "Holy Wars in the Old South: Or, The Battle among Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians" which will be published in the program for the 63rd annual meeting in 1999.
| Front Page | About the Society | Membership opportunities | South Caroliniana Library |
| University of South Carolina |
This page copyright © 1998, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.