Recent Gifts of Pictorial Caroliniana 2009| Front Page 2009 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | Endowments |
Received at Visual Materials
| Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
- Twenty daguerreotypes, ambrotype, and tintype, 1850s, of the Lawson family. James Lawson (1799–1880) lived in New York and was literary agent and friend of William Gilmore Simms.
Identified images include James Lawson, Jr., in military academy uniform, William Gilmore Simms Lawson, Mary Elizabeth Dondaldson Lawson, Kate Lawson, Captain Francis Mullaby and wife, Eliza Lawson Mullaby, and Robert Donaldson. Photographers include Anson, 589 Broadway, New York; Brady’s Gallery, 205 & 359 Broadway, New York; M.A. & S. Root, 363 Broadway, New York; Beard’s Photographic Institutions, London.
- Four stereographs, ca. 1865, of Charleston and Fort Sumter, by S.T. Souder, of Charleston. Included are “No. 7 A View of East Battery, Looking North,” “No. 29 South Angle of Fort Sumter, After the War,” “No. 32 Fort Sumter Light House,” “No. 32 East Face of Fort Sumter.” The reverse of each stereograph has a brief description of the photo¬graph and brief history of the location.
- Three stereographs, 1865 and 1879, “Toating rice, Charleston, S.C.,” No. 432 by B.W. Kilburn, Littleton, New Hampshire, showing African-American men carrying bales of rice on their heads and walking on dock with ships berthed; “Int. of Ft. Sumpter, shewing gabions and bomb proofs, Charleston,” No. 337 in “Scenes of the Great Rebellion,” by John P. Soule, Boston; and an anonymous view of the eastern face of Fort Sumter showing cannon damage and lighthouse on northeast corner, an image that was published also by George Barnard.
- Stereograph, 1870s, of “Florence Machine Shops” taken from the side and showing two three-storey buildings with a two-storey connector, a small one-storey building in front, and a picket fence on the street. Although the image is not identified as South Carolina, the Wilmington and Manchester and the Northeastern Railroads intersected at Florence, S.C. During the Civil War, Florence was an important supply and railroad repair center.
- Four stereographs, 1870s, “No. 83 Sea Island cotton field, South Carolina,” being a close-up of cotton blooming in field, and “No. 43 Banana Tree,” showing a large banana tree growing outside a picket fence, both in “South Carolina Views” series by George N. Barnard, Charleston. Also “The Southern Series,” Charleston, South Carolina, “No. 23 Orphan House, A” and “No. 29 East Battery Street” looking from White Point Gardens toward the wharves.
- Stereograph, 1878, of “Saluda or Main Falls near Caesar’s Head,” by J.S. Broadaway, Greenville, S.C. The view was taken from an elevation directly across from the falls.
- Stereograph, 1879, “No. 464. Cotton warehouse, drying cotton, Charleston,” photographed and published by Kilburn Brothers, Littleton, New Hampshire. The view shows African-American women and two white men on a second-storey roof covered with cotton. One woman has a cotton-filled basket on her head. A ladder leads to a third-storey drying area, and the steeple of St. Michael’s Church is visible in the background.
- Stereograph, 1879, “Dining Room in Sea Island Hotel, Beaufort, Oct. 1879,” showing tables set and people standing around.
- Thirty-four photographs and two albums, 1850s–1909 and undated, of the Sinkler family of Eutawville (Orangeburg County, S.C.). Cased images include daguerreotypes of William Henry Sinkler I, ambrotypes of William Henry Sinkler II, ambrotype of Isaac Porcher, and a ninth-plate case with albumen print of William Henry Sinkler II in uniform.
One album was begun by Cleremonde Gaillard Sinkler in 1866 and contains cartes-de-visite of family and friends and some Civil War notables such as General P.G.T. Beauregard. The other album belonged to Anna L. Sinkler, 1882, and contains only a few cartes-de-visite and tintypes of family and friends, including Yates Snowden in military school uniform. One image of interest is the interior of Eutawville Chapel in 1909. These photographs compliment the Sinkler family papers.
- Two hundred seventy-five photographs, 1890s–1972, of the Walter and Emma Blanchard family of Columbia, S.C., with the bulk dating 1910–1940. The photographs capture daughters Mildred and Ruth and son Walter, Jr., at various ages, as well as their pets, especially a Jack Russell terrier who loved posturing for the camera.
Walter L. Blanchard opened a photographic studio in Columbia in 1906. Over the years, Blanchard hired Lella Lindler and John A. Sargeant, both of whom later opened their own studios in competition with Blanchard. Emma and Mildred continued to operate the studio after Blanchard’s death in 1939.
- Photograph, ca. 1900, of Claude Epaminondas Sawyer (b. 1851) in the uniform of the United States Volunteers, taken by William A. Reckling of Columbia, S.C. Sawyer sat in the Wallace House during Reconstruction and continued in the South Carolina House of Representatives until 1882. As a Red Shirt of Aiken County, S.C., Sawyer was a staunch supporter of Wade Hampton III.
Sawyer entered military service in 1898 as captain with Co. L, First South Carolina Volunteers, and later with the Thirty-eighth Infantry, United States Volunteers, in the Philippines; he mustered out at the Presidio and returned to his law practice in Aiken. At various times in his life, Sawyer served as trustee of South Carolina State College in Orange¬burg, director of the State Penitentiary, Second Judicial Circuit solicitor, and 1888 presidential elector. He was a loyal Democrat, Mason, and environmentalist. The photograph is inscribed to his old friend James Henry Rice, who wrote about Sawyer in his “Paladins of South Carolina” column in The State newspaper, 7 November 1926.
- Photograph, ca. 1915, of the HHHH Richland County Canning and Bread Club on the steps of the State House. The photograph shows a large group of young women and girls in white dresses, aprons, and dust caps, holding a banner of the Four-H county extension service organization. Photography by Blanchard’s Art Studio, Columbia.
- Seventy-one photographs, 1930s–1950s, of Hilton Head Agricultural Society at Camp Dilling, Hilton Head Island (Beaufort County, S.C.). The photographs capture men sitting around the hunting cabin with their dogs and posed with their bagged deer, wild hogs, and game birds. They also show the African-American guides and cook.
Hilton Head Agricultural Company incorporated in 1917, with its principal office in Gastonia, North Carolina, and original stockholders being cotton mill men from North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The hunt club sat on property of the former Leamington Plantation and Hill Place, and the former Beaufort Gun Club was renamed Camp Dilling. The Society held five yearly hunts between November and Christmas with different groups taking turns. The Company dissolved in 1967 when its assets were sold to Palmetto Dunes Development Corporation.
- Photograph, 1943, of Dr. Connie Guion, by Caroline B. Theus. Dr. Guion was a famous physician in New York City, being the first woman in the United States to be named professor of clinical medicine in 1946 and achieving other distinctions throughout her life. Her sister, Catherine Guion, married Dr. James W. Babcock, superintendent of the S.C. State [Mental] Hospital and later founder and head of Waverly Sanitarium, both in Columbia, S.C. Dr. Guion helped her sister found the first nursing education program at the State Hospital and later helped in the establishment of Waverly Sanitarium.
- Photograph album, 1915–1930, with about two hundred forty-five snapshots of an unidentified family at home, children with toys, and at beach through two generations; girl and friends at school (possibly Columbia College) and on the trolley and at College Place trolley shelter; soldiers in camp showing tents, kitchen tent with African-American workers, recreation, including playing guitar and mandolin; grave marker for World War I soldier, Private W.E. Warth (d. 6 October 1918), buried in Flanders Fields (Belgium); military parade on Main Street, Columbia, S.C.; and views of homes on street, possibly Columbia, since Lollar Studio developed some of the photographs. The album contains black pages in a post binder with red braided cord and mottled brown leather covers.
- Six hundred twenty-seven photographic negatives, 1935–1977, of Southern Railway steam engines, rolling stock, and facilities, taken and collected by Ben Roberts. Other rail lines represented include Argent Lumber Co., Campbell Limestone Co., Swamp Rabbit Railroad, Blair Quarry, Becker Sand and Gravel, Clinchfield Railroad, Greenville and Northern Railroad, Charleston & Western Carolina Railroad, and Hamburg. Construction of tunnel in Spartanburg, S.C., is captured also in the negatives. Roberts worked as a pipe fitter for Southern Railway, 1939–1956, then for the Air Force in building maintenance, with a brief maintenance stint at the Fort Jackson hospital.
- Postcard, ca. 1911, of monument on the Battery to William Gilmore Simms in White Point Gardens, Charleston.
- Postcard 1919, of John Cart’s residence in Orangeburg, S.C. The card depicts a two-storey clapboard house with a large covered front supported by Corinthian columns. It was sent from Hester living at 159 East Russell Street to Mrs. David Bell in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Twenty-eight drawings, 1902–1966, of Seaboard Air Line Railway buildings in the Vista neighborhood of Columbia, S.C., including 1902 plans and elevations for the freight station on Lincoln Street between Gervais and Senate Streets, 1904 plans for the passenger station on Lincoln Street between Lady and Gervais Streets [now the Blue Marlin Restaurant], 1937 plan for a proposed butterfly shed in front of the freight station, and 1966 proposed changes to the passenger station. All plans came from the Chief Engineer’s Office, first in Portsmouth, then in Norfolk, and finally in Richmond, Virginia.