Letter, 20 May 1834, from Charles Cotesworth| Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Front Page 2008 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library |
Pinckney to C.C. Pinckney, Jr.
A gift to SCL Manuscripts Division announced in 2008
Letter, 20 May 1834, of C[harles] C[otesworth] Pinckney (1789-1865) written from Pendleton in upstate South Carolina to his son, C[harles] C[otesworth] Pinckney, Jr. (1812-1898) in Virginia, concerns efforts to call a priest as rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Pendleton. | Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
The Rev. William T. Potter had preached there and the congregation wished to engage his services, even if his tenure was only six months in duration. The elder Pinckney anticipated that Potter would accept the call and advised that his son, a seminary student at the Theological Seminary in Alexandria, need not make any further efforts on the church’s behalf.
Pinckney agreed with his son’s plan to spend his vacation in study before returning to South Carolina the following winter, and he noted that “a relaxation or apparent decay of even the semblance of religion at Santee... might render it impossible to re-establish the Church at all.” To cover his son’s added expenses, Pinckney promised to forward a check on the U.S. Bank at Washington that would include money from “Grandmother Elliott” for the “hire of Phillis for the past year.”
Pinckney was pleased that the young man’s interest in politics was declining and commented that he “found them incompatible with christian charity & brotherly love.” The letter cautions his son to keep his mind “equally unbiased by Church politics” and comments on the partisanship that leads to claims that any one church is the true church to the exclusion of all others.
The elder Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a Charleston planter, served as lieutenant governor of South Carolina, 1832-1834. His son graduated from South Carolina College in 1831 and was ordained an Episcopal priest in 1836. He served St. James, Santee (near McClellanville, S.C.); Christ Church (Greenville, S.C.); and Grace Episcopal Church (Charleston, S.C.).