Circular Letter, 1871, from the Bible Society| Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Front Page 2008 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library |
of Charleston, S.C.
A gift to SCL Manuscripts Division announced in 2008
Printed manuscript, 10 April 1871, circular letter issued by the Bible Society of Charleston and signed in print by C.G. Memminger, president, reports that the organization was instituted on 10 July 1810 “and united in its support Christians of all denominations,” with an initial list of 275 subscribers pledging $2,296.00. | Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
Further noting that the work of the Bible Society had been interrupted by “the calamitous effects of the late war,” following which it had been reorganized and Bibles procured for distribution, the circular solicits new subscribers from the various congregations of Charleston at an annual rate of $2.00 per subscriber.