Allen University Diplomas, 1892 and 1922
| Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Front Page 2008 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library |
A gift to SCL Manuscripts Division announced in 2008
Two documents, 1 June 1892 and 1 June 1922, Allen University diplomas awarded to Lucy Lipsey (1892) and Roselyn Victoria Nicholas (1922) attest to their completion of studies for certification as school teachers. | Manuscripts Gifts 2008 | Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
Lucy Lipsey is identified in the census of 1900 as a resident of Union, S.C., where she and her siblings lived in a household headed by Green Nicholas. According to the 1920 census, Miss R.V. Nicholas also resided in Union and was the daughter of W.W. Nicholas, an insurance agent, and Nell Nicholas. By the time of the 1930 census, Nicholas appears as a public school teacher in Gaffney, S.C..
Allen University, an historically black institution of higher education located in Columbia, S.C., was established in 1870 by the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The 1892 diploma features an image of Arnett Hall, originally known as Ladies Industrial Hall, prior to the removal of chimneys. Construction began on this building in 1891 and, although unfinished, the structure was known to have been in use by 1896.