Recent Gifts of Pictorial Caroliniana 2007| Front Page 2007 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | Endowments |
Received at Visual Materials
| Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
Carte-de-visite, 1866, of Marcus Cato McLemore (1834-1900), by Bartlett & Joslyn, Lone Star Gallery, Galveston, Texas; inscribed to M[artin] W[itherspoon] Gary, 26 July 1866, and part of tax stamp on reverse. McLemore was a merchant in Mobile, Alabama, for four years before the Civil War, then served in a Texas regiment during the war. McLemore then moved to Galveston, Texas, where he practiced law and served as U.S. Attorney for the Eastern and Southern Districts.
- Carte-de-visite, ca. 1867, of "Faculty of Wofford College," by S.C. Mouzon, Spartanburg, S.C., is a composite of faculty members surrounding a drawing of the main building at this Methodist college. The Rev. A.M. Shipp was president; The Rev. Whitefoord Smith, James H. Carlisle, The Rev. A.H. Lester, Warren DuPre, and David Duncan completed the faculty.
- Three stereographs, 1865, of Charleston, S.C., at the end of the Civil War. "Ruins of Secession Hall," no. 3447 in "War Views" series by E. & H.T. Anthony, shows destruction to the back side of Circular Congregational Church and Secession Hall with the steeple of St. Philipís beyond; this image was from a Mathew Brady negative. "Rear of Circular Church," no. 363, and "Meeting Street - ruins of Secession Hall and Circular Church, with St. Philips in distance," no. 361 of "War Views" by John P. Soule, shows destruction along Meeting Street.
- Stereograph, ca. 1865, of "The Mills House, Charleston," no. 3078 in "War Views" series, published by E. & H.T. Anthony & Company, New York, in their "Photographic History: The War for the Union" series. The photograph shows the Mills House hotel beyond an African-American man with yoke-style carrier leaning against wagon wheels and a white man, possibly the photographer, seated on the ruined foundations of the building. This same view was published by John P. Soule.
- Two stereographs, ca. 1861-1865, of Fort Sumter. One shows a wall of the fort with damage from bombardment, taken by Osborn and Durbec of Charleston, S.C., early in the war. The other is "Sea Face of Fort Sumter, showing Broken Guns, Shot, Shell, etc.," no. 346 in "War Views" by John P. Soule, of Boston, 1865. Soule may be the man sitting beside a destroyed gun.
- Stereograph, ca. 1866, "The Beach," St. Helena Island, S.C., residence of S.S. Whitwell. The photograph shows a white family with mother in a wheelchair and an African-American house servant on the porch of a raised two-storey clapboard house with gable end dormers and central pediment over second floor Palladian window. A large birdhouse and outbuilding are visible in the background.
- Two stereographs, 1870s, of "Highland Park Hotel" by J.A. Palmer, of Aiken, S.C. View no. 282 shows a windmill in a field behind the hotel and an African-American woman walking in the foreground. View no. 264 is a closer shot of the hotel with lamp and gate posts in the foreground. The reverse of each has a label with information on the hotel.
- Seven stereographs, 1870s-1880s, of "Residence of J.P. Moore in Greenville [S.C.]," Wheeler House in Columbia, S.C., and "The Pavilion Hotel in Charleston," by Wearn and Hix, of Columbia; the "Palmetto Tree" Memorial erected to the memory of the Old Palmetto Regiment in Columbia, S.C.," by Rufus Morgan; the "Residence of Detroitís Campbell family in South Carolina" and "View of Pine Woods," by J.A. Palmer, of Aiken, S.C.; and view of Charleston from St. Michaelís Church, by an unknown photographer. All stereographs were part of the Treadwell Collection.
- Photograph, 1885, of the South Carolina legislature, showing men and boys standing on steps of building with three doors and two columns.
- Photograph, 1896, of Cole[man Livingston] Blease, age twenty-eight, is a full-length portrait of Blease with papers in left hand and right hand on small side table. This large format albumen photograph was taken at the time Blease was a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives and two years before his election to the South Carolina Senate.
- Panorama photograph, ca. 1905, of Monroe Hall, Summerland College, in Batesburg-Leesville, S.C. The photograph shows a large group of young women in front of a clapboard building and large brick building; staff appears to be standing to the left. Blanchard Studio, Columbia, S.C., took the photograph.
- Five photographs, ca. 1905, in postcard format of downtown Laurens, South Carolina, showing two-storey stucco house; Minter Co., S.M. & E.H. Wilkes & Co., Laurens Advertiser buildings on square; H. Terry dry goods store; building housing R.W. Willis Furniture, Palmetto Drug Co., and W.G. Wilson & Co.; members of fire department, with horses, wagons, pumper, ladder, and hose on square in front of courthouse. Also, a printed postcard of street scene in Honea Path, South Carolina.
- Photograph, 1911, in postcard format of the studio of C.W. Drace, Photographer, in Greer (Greenville County, S.C.). Drace took the photograph showing a two-storey brick building beside a one-storey brick bank building on corner. Drace also advertised "Music Instruments and Talking Machines."
- Photograph, 1920s, of the Greer High School basketball team in uniform with coach, loving cup, and basketball. Orr Studio, Greenville, S.C., took this photograph of the South Carolina State Champions in high school basketball.
- Seven photographs, 1920s, of Charleston and Goose Creek, S.C., taken by M.L. Taylor. Charleston views include the Motte house, a two-storey brick building with columns on the first- and second-floor porches; side view of the William Washington house, a two-storey clapboard building; and the Exchange building from Broad Street. Views of Goose Creek include two African-American males riding oxen and interior and exterior of St. James Goose Creek Church. Also included is bridge at Magnolia Gardens plantation.
- Photograph, 1933, "State Champions 1933, Johnston High School" football team of Edgefield County, S.C., taken by Tommins. The photograph shows boys in uniforms, seated on front steps of school, two men standing behind them, and students looking out the windows.
- Nine photographs and photograph album, 1938, document the South Carolina Public Service Authorityís Santee-Cooper Project in Berkeley County, S.C. The album contains thirty-four "First Official Photographs of Santee-Cooper," by Sargeant Photo Company, Columbia, S.C., and compiled by Richard I. Lane, selling agent. It shows the Board of Directors, the P.W.A. engineering staff, the first boring rig at Pinopolis dam site, and scenes from the official opening ceremony.
The photographs include aerial view of dam and power plant after construction, 1944, Authority board members, St. Stephenís Episcopal Church, and stable and carriage house at Middleburg plantation. Identified individuals are Daniel L. Boland, Col. Edwin B. Boyle, P.M. Brown, R.B. Dinkins, B.M. Edwards, C.H. Gerald, James H. Hammond, Walter G. Jackson, R.M. Jeffries, William C. Johnston, Robert S. Lafaye, Richard I. Lane. Col. A. Stanley Llewellyn, Kenneth Markwell, Burnet R. Maybank, J.H. McGee, W.B. Montague, Sen. M.M. Muray, James E. Powe, Col. W.L. Rhodes, F.R. Sweeney, Arnold Winokur, D.D. Witcover, Spartanburg mayor T.W. Woodworth, John A. Zeigler, and T.C. Williams, "Grandaddy of the Project." Also included is a copy of Picture Progress Story Santee-Cooper.
- Album, 1921-1929, of Louise Thelma Smith includes photographs of family and friends, correspondence, travel souvenirs, local theatre and recital programs, high school academic and college social souvenirs, and news clippings from her run for University of South Carolina May Queen. Of note are photographs of Smith on the University of South Carolina sophomore field hockey team, her Girl Scout membership card, partially smoked Chesterfield cigarette and empty packet, and lock of hair.
- Seventeen postcards, 1907-1941 and undated, of Orangeburg, South Carolina, include marketing cotton on the public square, Russell Street, First Baptist Church, Moss Heights, and Main Street.
- Postcard, 1915, "Skyline, Columbia," postmarked 1917 and issued by Columbia Chamber of Commerce. Small panoramic format taken by Blanchard from a rooftop shows downtown Columbia, S.C., from St. Peterís Catholic Church on the left to the State House on the right.
- Postcard, ca. 1915, "Golf Club, Georgetown." Tri-fold postcard shows dirt road to club, entrance, and a fairway; on reverse is order information listing Iseman Drug Company as jobber.
- Hand-colored print, 1874, "Battle of Kingís Mountain," from the original painting by Chappel of this significant Patriot victory of the American Revolution on 7 Oct. 1780, published by Johnson, Wilson & Company, of New York. A similar print was published in 1859 by Johnson & Fry.
- Two mixed media portraits, 1924, of Edwin Grenville Seibels (1866-1954) and Rosamond Seibels (1877-1960), painted by Elizabeth Avinoff Shoumatoff, of New York. Edwin G. Seibels was a Columbia businessman who, in 1898, invented the lateral filing system used to this day.
Mrs. Shoumatoff (1888-1980) was born in Kharkov, Russia, and immigrated to the United States in 1911. She settled on Long Island and received commissions for portraits from around the world during her long career. She was painting Franklin D. Roosevelt at Warm Springs, Georgia, when he suffered a fatal hemorrhage in 1945.