Ladies Calhoun Monument Association| Manuscripts Gifts 2007 | Front Page 2007 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library |
Circular Letter [ca. 1857 to 1860]
A gift to SCL Manuscripts Division announced in 2007
Undated printed manuscript, but presumably dating from between 1857 and 1860, announces a floral fair to be held by the Ladies Calhoun Monument Association of Charleston, S.C., "on some early day in May next." | Manuscripts Gifts 2007 | Previous Issues | Endowments | Friends of the Library |
The organization’s officers and members, "animated by an earnest desire to carry out to completion the great object for which they were organized, and believing that the People of the City and State approve and will sustain their undertaking," were soliciting for the occasion contributions of "handiwork, refreshments, and flowers."
Signed in print by officers Mrs. George Robertson, president, Mrs. John M. Fludd, Mrs. H.W. Conner, Mrs. Henry Wigfall, and Mrs. H.Y. Gray, vice-presidents, Miss F.M. Blamyer and Miss L.S. Porter, corresponding secretaries, Miss M.C. Cheesborough, recording secretary, and Mrs. M.A. Snowden, treasurer, the association issued a public call "to unite with them in this noble work of doing honor to CAROLINA’S GREATEST SON…."