University 

LibrariesUSC home pagesearch library sitehoursuscanelectronic 

indexeselectronic journalsUniversity 

Librariescampus picture
Gifts of Pictorial South Caroliniana Announced 2005
   Recent Acquisitions by Visual Materials Division

| Front Page 2005 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | Endowments |

  • Sixth plate daguerreotype, 1850s, of John W.L. Tylee and his wife, Elvina “Viney” Willis, by George Smith Cook, of Charleston, S.C. Possibly a wedding portrait. Tylee was a native of New York and moved to Charleston about 1850. He sold men’s clothing in a store at 123 East Bay Street. Tylee served with the Washington Artillery during the Civil War.

  • Carte-de-visite, 1861, of Charleston, S.C., after the December fire, showing destroyed buildings and ruins of St. Finbar’s Cathedral in the background, by Osborne’s Gallery, Charleston.

  • Thirteen photographs, 1860s-1942, of the Capers and Morall families include images of Ellison Capers with the 1940 graduating Navy Platoon 148 at Norfolk, Va., and Catherine Rice (later Mrs. Ellison Capers) as a hostess at a dance in 1942 at Ft. Jackson (Columbia, S.C.).

    Also includes photographs of William Manigault Capers with the University of South Carolina Law School Class of 1937, Bishop Ellison Capers and sons, Bishop William T. Capers, and Theodotus “Oddy” Legrand Capers. Morall family images include a gathering at Glenn Springs (Spartanburg County, S.C.) in 1879 and photographs of Dr. George Washington Morrall, Sally Dunbar Morrall, Annie Mae Morrall, Phoebe Morrall, and Morrall Rice. R.H. Mims, of Edgefield, photographed an unidentified group of children, girls holding dolls and boys holding trumpets.

  • Three photographs, 1875, 1880, and undated, of houses and the jail in York, S.C., by J.R. Schorb, of York, Mrs. Smith’s house on West Liberty Street is a two-storey clapboard house with picket fences, people out front, buggy, and outbuildings. An unidentified one-storey clapboard house with lattice on the porch has a well and rail fences in front.

  • Photograph, ca. 1900, of the Columbia Water Works taken from the west bank of the river. It shows people standing on top of the dam and Columbia Mill in the background.

  • Two photographs, 1909, of the 4 November 1909 Carolina-Clemson football game are the earliest known photographs of a Big Thursday game. Taken by Columbia Photographic Studio, they were originally published in the 1910 Garnet and Black yearbook.

  • Three woodcuts, 1861-1889, from Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper: the floating battery in Charleston Harbor, Port Royal as “the new city of the South,” and music by the “bottle band”; and halftone, 1902, three buildings of the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition in Charleston, S.C.



This page updated 25 May 2005
Comments:
Contact SCL
Copyright © 2005, The University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2005/visual05.html

South Caroliniana Library
University South Caroliniana Society
The University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208
Phone: 803-777-5183
Fax: 803-777-5747