University 

LibrariesUSC home pagesearch library sitehoursuscanelectronic 

indexeselectronic journalsUniversity 

Librariescampus picture
Receipt, 3 Mar. 1857 to C[hristopher] Werner
    for Palmetto Regiment Monument

    A gift to the SCL Manuscripts Division announced in 2004

| Gifts to Manuscripts 2004 | Front Page 2004 | Friends of the Library | Endowments |

Manuscript, 3 March 1857, of C[hristopher] Werner (1805-1875) documents payment for the Palmetto Regiment monument on the grounds of the South Carolina State House.

Signed by Werner, the note directs that “Genl [James] Jones Commissioner of the New State House will please hold subject the order of John C. Cochran Cashier of the South Western Rail Road Bank the sum of Five thousand Dollars on completion of the Palmetto Tree according to act of the Legislature 1856.” The overleaf bears Cochran’s signature acknowledging receipt of four thousand dollars from Jones on 19 January 1858.

The oldest monument at the State House, the “Iron Palmetto,” as it has been called, commemorates the heroism of South Carolina’s Palmetto Regiment during the Mexican War. It was erected in 1858 by Charleston artisan and noted iron craftsman Christopher Werner.



This page updated 8 April 2004
Comments:
Contact SCL
Copyright © 2004, The University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2004/werner04.html

South Caroliniana Library
University South Caroliniana Society
The University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208
Phone: 803-777-5183
Fax: 803-777-5747