University 

LibrariesUSC home pagesearch library sitehoursuscanelectronic 

indexeselectronic journalsUniversity 

Librariescampus picture
Gifts of Pictorial South Caroliniana 2004
   Recent Acquisitions at SCL Manuscripts Division Announced in 2004

| Front Page 2004 | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | Endowments |

  • Daguerreotype, ca. 1850, of Louisa Willis, by George S. Cook, Charleston. The quarter-plate photograph shows an older woman wearing a loose lawn head covering adorned with flowers.

  • Daguerreotype, undated, of James Fitz James Caldwell. The quarter-plate photograph has an ornate oval matte.

  • Ambrotype, 1859, of Ellison Capers (1837-1908) or Tom Walker. This sixth-plate photograph shows a young man with fair hair seated with his elbow on a table and a cane in his hand; his top hat is inverted on the tabletop, and he is wearing a double-breasted jacket. The buttons and cane head are gilded, and the tablecloth is tinted.

  • Ambrotype, ca. 1860, of Miss Zealy and Miss Ada Taylor, Columbia. The quarter-plate photograph shows two young ladies standing together, their jewelry gilded and dresses tinted. Lavinia Zealy is pictured on the right. The photograph was possibly taken by Lavinia’s father, Joseph Zealy.

  • Ambrotype, undated, of the Rev. John Bachman (1790-1874), Lutheran minister and scientist, of Charleston. The sixth-plate photograph has an ornate oval matte.

  • Carte-de-visite, ca. 1861, of Francis W. Pickens while governor. Taken by C.J. Quinby, of Charleston, Pickens is standing and turned to his right and wearing a striped silk tie.

  • Carte-de-visite, ca. 1866, of Nannie Anderson Faust, of Washington, Wilkes County, Ga. She was the wife of Dr. Henry Faust, of Grahams, Barnwell District. The photograph shows Mrs. Faust in full length, standing next to a large studio column; she is wearing a light-colored dress with fitted bodice, full skirt with long hem, and puffed upper sleeves.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1878, “Confederate Monument, Capitol Square,” “Popular Series of Southern Views” by W.A. Reckling, Columbia. The photograph shows the monument, the northeast corner of the State House with its hipped roof, and stonework scattered around. The Confederate monument was raised on the State House grounds in 1878. William A. Reckling trained under Wearn & Hix, then opened his own gallery in 1874 and continued in business until 1910.

  • Cabinet photograph, ca. 1870, of John Dunovant Wylie, taken by J.H. Van Ness, of Charlotte, N.C. Wylie was born in Lancaster County in 1833, attended The Citadel, practiced law, organized the Lancaster Greys, and served in the Confederate Army, ultimately being promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He married Eliza Jane Witherspoon, and their surviving son later became his law partner. John D. Wylie served several terms in the South Carolina Senate, 1877-1882. J.H. Van Ness and his brother appear to have been itinerant photographers as they operated studios briefly in Winnsboro, Chester, and other localities in the late 1860s and early 1870s.

  • Photograph, ca. 1875, of a Columbia girls’ school, taken by W.A. Reckling, of Columbia. This large format albumen print shows a group of girls and young ladies, some holding croquet mallets and balls, in the yard of a two-storey white clapboard building. There were several girls’ schools in town at the time, including the Columbia Female Academy.

  • Fifty-seven photographs, 1886, 1893, and undated, of Charleston and Aiken areas, chiefly show damage after the 1886 earthquake and the 1893 hurricane. Interesting earthquake views include Bethel Church, King and Broad Streets, the News and Courier building, Hamstead Mall showing a tent city, and a break in Langley dam. Hurricane views include South Battery, East Battery, Yacht Club, and ship and dockage damage at wharves. Also included are three boudoir photographs of African Americans in St. Andrews Parish, taken by Miss M.E. Pickett, of Charleston. They picture a man plowing, a child riding an ox to school, and a man in an ox cart. Other photographs show Ft. Sumter, St. Philip’s sanctuary, workers in a cotton yard, and Thomson Auditorium. Photographers represented are William D. Clarke, George LaGrange Cook, W.H. Fairchild, M.E. Pickett, and B. Rosenthal, of Charleston; J.A. Palmer, of Aiken; William E. Wilson, of Savannah, Ga.; and J.H. Wisser.

  • Thirty photographs, four albums, one halftone, and one silhouette, 1890-1915, of the Ford family of Aiken. Arthur Peronneau Ford and Marion Johnstone Porcher Ford (d. 1907) came to Aiken in the 1860s and built their house on Barnwell Avenue, just west of Rose Hill, in 1886. Arthur established the Aiken Recorder in 1871 and continued on as editor until his death in 1910. The family was active in St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church. Possibly compiled by daughters Louise Petigru Ford (d. 1943) and Marianna Porcher Ford (d. 1965), the albums feature images of identified horses, unidentified women, dogs, gardens, Aiken house, Liberty Hall plantation, Fairhaven, African Americans plowing with ox and working dikes in rice fields, and a trip to the North in 1903. Among the loose photographs are studio portraits of Arthur and Marion; a young woman on a bicycle; the house; and the Ford sisters in the garden, inside the house, and with groups of young people. Of interest are two milk-glass photographs of young Arthur and Marion. Also included are a carte-de-visite of young John Drayton Ford in 1874; a photograph of baby John Drayton Ford in 1911; a silhouette of Louise; and the halftone of Arthur in Confederate uniform used in his book Life in the Confederate Army (1905). Photographers represented include O.N. Cripps, of Aiken Photo Studio; C.D. Hardt, of Aiken; Holland’s Studio, of Charleston; and Y.M. Van Wagner, of Nyack, N.Y.

  • Photograph, 1891, of F.W. Wagner & Company’s store as it appeared during Gala Week, 1891, taken by Andreas Savastano, of Charleston. The large format albumen print shows flags, banners, and men hanging from windows of a three-storey corner building. Men, barrels, wagons laden with cotton, and dray carts are pictured on the street in front of the store. Wagener was a wholesale grocer at 161-163 East Bay Street. Savastano, a native of Naples, Italy, worked in Charleston from 1891 to 1893.

  • Photograph, ca. 1890s, of “Venus Wigfall’s Cottage in St. Andrews,” taken by M.B.R. and D. Ruse. This large format, mounted cyanotype shows an African-American woman and children in the yard of a small clapboard house with exterior mud chimney in St. Andrew’s Parish, Charleston County.

  • Photograph, 1906, of the Charleston Hotel on Meeting Street, Charleston, taken by Clarke’s Studio in Charleston. In the foreground are people on the sidewalk, dray carts, and telegraph and electrical lines. The photograph appeared in an advertisement in Walsh’s Charleston city directory for 1906. William D. Clarke operated a studio in Charleston from 1894 to 1938.

  • Eleven photographs and twenty postcards, 1907-1948, of scenes throughout South Carolina include images of Peoples Banks, Steedly Bakery, and the post office in Branchville; Laurens Cotton Mill Store and employees; soldiers at the Ridgeway train station; a Catawba Indian family; Saluda Copper Mines; Mayesville Methodist Church; Barnwell cotton platform; and Dr. J.H. Saye’s house in Sharon.

  • Photograh album, ca. 1910s-1925, with fifty-five photographs of Camden houses, the Kirkwood Hotel, women with golf clubs, women on horseback, men playing polo, African-American children, the Wateree River and bridge, canal lock, and a house in Coral Gables, Fla.

  • Twenty-six photographs, undated, collected by John Neilson and used in the News and Courier include views of Col. William Washington’s house on South Battery, Durant house at 54 Meeting Street, Ficken house at 96 Rutledge, and other Charleston houses and gates; the rock at The Citadel on Marion Square; duck hunters with their quarry; hunters on horseback with rifles at the ready; copy of portrait of Gen. William Moultrie as president of the Saint Andrews Society; the Beaufort-Yemassee section of Coastal Highway; and the entrance to The Oaks in Goose Creek.



This page updated 8 April 2004
Comments:
Contact SCL
Copyright © 2004, The University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2004/picts2004.html

South Caroliniana Library
University South Caroliniana Society
The University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208
Phone: 803-777-5183
Fax: 803-777-5747