Fifty-three manuscript volumes, 1895-1981, are comprised of cash books, ledgers, check registers, voucher records, and miscellaneous other account books documenting various aspects of production at the Clinton and Lydia Cotton Mills, both founded by Mercer Silas Bailey (1841-1926) and subsequently owned and operated by several succeeding generations of the Bailey family.|
Mercer Silas Bailey founded Clinton Cotton Mills in 1896; in 1902 Bailey founded
Lydia Cotton Mills, a factory located two miles oustide of
Clinton and named for his wife.
M.S. Bailey served as president of both mills until his death
in 1926, after which the presidencies passed to his sons:
Cassius Mercer Bailey (1876-1935) served as president of
Lydia Mills (1926-1935) and William James Bailey (1865-1948)
served as president of both Clinton Mills (1926-1948) and of
Lydia Mills (1935-1948); Putsy Silas Bailey (1904-1958)
served as president of a combined operation (1948-1958).