- Sixth-plate daguerreotype, undated, of unidentified woman by J.T. Zealy of Columbia. Capturing an older woman in glasses, this image exhibits the beauty and clarity of Joseph Zealy’s work. Zealy opened his studio in 1846 and continued in the trade until about 1865.
- Sixth-plate daguerreotype, ca. 1859, of unidentified man by Richard Wearn of Columbia. Young man with beard, turned to side in chair, with hand resting against head, tinting of cheeks and jewelry, the image is very sharp and framed with decorative matte.
- Half-plate ambrotype, 1 May 1863, of W.C. Murphy and sister, taken by Charles H. Lanneau of Greenville. It shows a young man and woman sitting beside each other, holding hands. The ambrotype is not in a case, but in a frame with a paper matte and identifying information written on backing board. Lanneau was an itinerant photographer, 1850-1863, with Greenville as his base.
- Sixteen daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, and tintypes, 1850s-1870s, of the Strickland family of Gray Court in Laurens County. Ranging in size from ninth-plates to quarter-plates, there are five daguerreotypes, nine ambrotypes, and two tintypes. The images are unidentified except for daguerreotypes of Mrs. S.F. Stevens of Lagrange, Ga. (possibly by George S. Cook), and of Theodore Lutie of Carlisle, 8 December 1857, and ambrotypes of Mrs. Eliza G. Strickland with baby Rosa, of Hugh Strickland, and of James and Eva Strickland. Two cases are by Littlefield, Parsons & Co. and one by William Shew of Boston.
- Fifty-seven cartes-de-visite and cabinet photographs in an album, 1870s-1890s, of the Duffie, Bellamy, Lindsay, and Verner families. Most photographs are studio portraits, but some are of groups of young men by Rufus Morgan of North Carolina. Also included is the interior of a church. The table of contents lists members of the Class of 1897 at the College for Women and their years of marriage, including Elise and Ellen Duffie. Identified persons include William Korn Duffie, Louise Elizabeth Duffie Lindsay, Eliza (Elise) Bellamy Duffie Verner, Joseph Lindsay, Mary Lindsay, John Browner Duffie, Mollie Duffie, John Duffie, Mary Jennings Bellamy, Earnest Duffie, John Duffie, Jr., Mary and Lindsay Duffie, Louise Bellamy Wood, William Jefferson Duffie, Nellie May Duffie Hinton, James Green, Elize Duffie, James Spencer Verner (lawyer and state representative from Columbia), Annie Sidney Duffie, Silas Johnston, Kate Lavinia and Emma Crawford Duffie, Mary Isabel Koons Duffie, Eliza Harriss Bellamy, Mac Duffie, John Duffie, Sue Koon, and Chelsey Bellamy. Photographers include William Reckling, William Hix, George Hennies, and J.P. Howie of Columbia; Winburn Studio in Sumter; and various photographers in North Carolina, Washington, D.C., Texas, and Paris.
- Stereograph, ca. 1860, of South Carolina Institute Hall on Meeting Street in Charleston, where the Ordinance of Secession was signed in December 1860. The anonymous view was taken looking north with the Hall between the Robert Mills-designed Circular Congregational Church and a building with N. Fehrenbach (Importer of Havana Segars and French Confectionary) and his Teetotal Restaurant. All of these buildings were destroyed in the fires of 1861. Beyond the Hall are several buildings up to the corner of Meeting and Market Streets.
- Two stereographs, ca. 1860, of scenes around Rockville on Johns Island. Osborn & Durbec took and sold views no. 60 (6), “Summer Residence, Rockville, S.C.,” and no. 74 (10), “Plantation Views, near Rockville, S.C.” The first photograph shows an African-American man holding a horse while a white man steps into a carriage in front of a white fence and two-storey white clapboard house, with people on the porch and looking out the windows. The second pictures African-American men outside cabins in a slave row, stable at end with horse and carriage and cart. These images are part of a series of photographs taken by Osborn & Durbec of Charleston and the surrounding areas in 1860.
- Three stereographs, ca. 1876, of Columbia, from William A. Reckling’s “Popular Series of Southern Views”: “Hampton’s Garden” looking down garden path to fountain; “Columbia Female Seminary” showing front of Hampton-Preston House; and “Parade Ground” with Columbia Male Academy boys in uniform, standing at attention. Columbia Female Academy began in 1815 and was located at Washington and Marion Streets in 1824. Columbia Male Academy was founded in 1792 and occupied the block of Laurel, Richland, Pickens and Henderson Streets. It became Taylor School in 1905 and closed in 1964.
- Three stereographs, undated, from “The Southern Series, Charleston, South Carolina”: No. 9, “St. Michaels Church, Interior”; No. 36, “Shipping”; and No. 54, “Panorama from St. Michaels Church, F.” The interior view was taken from the balcony looking toward the pulpit area where scaffolding stands. The shipping view shows cotton bales waiting to be loaded on a ship. The panorama was taken looking northeast beyond the Custom House to the Cooper River.
- Two albums, 1870s-1940s, of the Houston family of Columbia: William McKamey Houston and Lillian Virginia Bull Houston and their children, Charles Bull Houston, Earle Houston, Frank Houston, Marjorie Houston Fairey, and Grace Houston. One album, 1897-1943, with photographs and newspaper clippings was begun by Lillian Houston and continued by her daughter Grace Houston. It includes photographs of the children at different ages, the residences in which the family lived in Columbia (1424 Washington Street, 1528 Gervais Street, 1401 Senate Street), Charles Lindburgh with his Spirit of St. Louis, and Marjorie’s daughter, Marjorie Fairey. Also included are letters from Marjorie to Grace and from Earle while at a recruitment center in 1918. All three boys served in World War I and survived. The second album, 1909-1911, is Grace’s and shows snow pictures, boating on the canal, picnics at Waterworks Park, State House grounds, Southern Railroad bridge over the Broad River, a Confederate reunion parade on Main Street, a house party on Sullivan’s Island, The Citadel, the Battery, and Ft. Moultrie.
- Four albums, 1910s-1920s, of the Phelps family of Aiken were probably compiled by Claudia Phelps. The Phelps family owned Rose Hill in Aiken, and Mrs. Phelps was the first president of the Garden Club of South Carolina. Two albums are of a European tour, 1910-1911 and 1914, through Holland, Germany, England, France, Spain, Portugal, and Belgium. They also contain a few photographs of polo, dogs, and people in Aiken. The third album, 1915, shows a picnic at Hitchcock traps with Mrs. Hitchcock and Mrs. Hoffman, horses at a racetrack, dogs, Cathedral Isle, and changing a flat tire on the Augusta Road. It also contains photographs of boating in Maine at Seal Harbor, Egg Rock, Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, York Harbor, and Tranquility Farm. The fourth album, 1916-1918, has photographs of Salem Troop in Southampton, Mass., preparing to leave for Mexico and pictures of Plymouth, Mass., boating in Bar Harbor, Weaukeag Ferry, Osterville, and a house called Tranquility.
- Thirteen photographs, ca. 1865-1890s, of the Chesnut family. The collection includes a ninth-plate ambrotype, ca. 1865, of Mary Boykin Chesnut, as well as a cabinet photograph, ca. 1887, by Leidloff’s Studio in Charleston. A series of cabinet photographs by Dowling in Charleston shows nephew James Chesnut in black face and in costume, and a photograph of Chesnut as Bob Rogers in the play “The Rivals.” Also part of the collection is a cabinet photograph by Campbell & Co. in Richmond of James Gibbes, husband of A.J. Chesnut; a couple in a garden, possibly Mulberry in Camden; and an 1892 photograph of First Presbyterian Church in Charleston.
- Four photographs, ca. 1890-1912, of the M.D. Williams residence in Johnston and the South Carolina Co-Educational Institute in Edgefield. The Williams home is a two-storey clapboard house with central halls and doors open. A group of people stands by the fence, including a woman holding a bicycle. The South Carolina Co-Educational Institute images show students as honor guard and involved in a staged trial; these photographs were taken by Blanchard’s Art Studo in Columbia. Founded in 1890 at Williston as the state’s first co-educational boarding school, South Carolina Co-Educational Institute relocated to Edgefield in 1898.
- Four photographs, 1908 and undated, in postcard format showing the Kirkland Hotel and Marlboro Cotton Mill #1 in McColl, Palmetto Grocery Company in Mullins, and J.W. Trews Cotton Gin in Dentsville. Also included is a 1918 color postcard of the interior of Sloan’s Drug Store in Greenville showing the soda counter.
- Twenty-nine photographs, ca. 1910-1955, of Winnsboro Granite Corporation in Rion, including the quarry and equipment, workers, trademarks, models for Confederate monument statues, owners Hattie and John Haywood and their house; Hamilton-Carhartt Cotton Mill #2; W.B. Wilson residence in Rock Hill; and Anderson Granite quarry. Photographers include Russell Maxey and George Hennies in Columbia; Ernest Ferguson and Photo Arts in Winnsboro; and Clarke’s Studio in Charleston. Also includes a Coupon Number 1 for bond issued by Winnsboro Granite Corporation in 1903 and an advertising circular for Winnsboro Granite, “The Silk of the Trade.”
- Two photographs, ca. 1912, of the Henry Timrod home on the corner of Senate and Henderson streets in Columbia, taken by J.P. Howie of Columbia. One shows the cottage as it was when Timrod died there; the other shows it as a two-storey house with a full front porch after it was remodeled by contractor C.M. Lide.
- Photograh, ca. 1915, “Main St. from South, Branchville, S.C.” Postcard showing carriages, horses, shop fronts, and electric street light in downtown Branchville.
- Five photographs, ca. 1916, augment the South Caroliniana Library’s holdings relating to Richter Herman Moore. One is a studio portrait of Moore while a student at Wofford College taken by Bell. Two photographs show Moore as a member of the baseball and football teams at Wofford; both were taken by Henry Bernhardt of Spartanburg. A series of penny photographs shows Moore and a friend in various poses.
- Three photographs, 1924-1932, of Richburg High School students, 1924; interior of the J.S. Corbett Store in Bishopville with its general merchandise, 1932; and construction of the Cooper River bridge, with steel trusses and the beginning of span support. The bridge opened in 1929.
- Postcard, ca. 1916, “Quilting Bee at Jane House, Good Hope Camp, Ridgeland.” Published by The Albertype Company of Brooklyn, N.Y., the postcard shows a group of African-American women and children standing in front of a white clapboard house and two side views with hunting dogs working a field.
- Lithograph, 2002, “South Carolina Defense Force, 1943,” with artwork by Darby Erd and accompanying text by Jack Allen Meyer. This is plate No. 798 in the “Military Uniforms in America” series published by the Company of Military Historians.
- Forty-two postcards, 1907-1964, with the bulk being of Orangeburg sites such as Memorial Plaza, courthouse square, Claflin University, Orangeburg Hotel, U.S. fisheries station, Magnolia Court, Orangeburg Motor Court, Cotton Bole Motel, Berry Tourist Home, and Jack Nolen’s Restaurant. Also included are a postcard of Main Street in Bamberg, ca. 1952, and two first flight airmail covers, 1932 and 1934.