logo of university of south carolina
SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
MANUSCRIPTS DIVISION
VISUAL MATERIALS 2002
| Front Page | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | South Caroliniana Library |
| USCAN | Manuscripts Division | USC | Search USC web |

Gifts of Pictorial South Caroliniana
2002

  • Ambrotype, undated, sixth plate of Robert Ilderton and Emma Mendenhall Limehouse. Probably a wedding photograph, it shows a young couple in fancy dress with jewelry gilded.

  • Carte-de-visite, ca. 1861-1865, copy of a painting showing family at graveside and African-American man with shovel. In background are other widows at graves and row of four columns, similar to those left by destruction of Millwood plantation. Photographed by Wearn & Hix, Artists, Columbia.

  • Twenty-two cartes-de-visite, ten cabinets, and three tintypes, ca. 1867-1890, of the Schiffley and Wigfall families. Frederick A. Schiffley was a photographer in Charleston during the 1870s. In addition to identified members of the Schiffley and Wigfall families, the collection contains an 1867 image of the Stonewall Fire Engine Company. Photographers represented are George Hennies, William P. Hix, and Wearn & Hix, of Columbia; George L. Cook, F.A. Nowell, F.A. Schiffley, V.C. Brown with F.A. Schiffley, Anderson Studio, G.N. Bernard, J.M. Osborne, Quinby & Co., and W.B. Austin/Vandyke Studio, of Charleston; C.M. Van Orsdell, of Orangeburg; Paddingham, of Augusta, Ga.; J.H. Smith, of Newark, N.J.; and F. Kuhn, of Atlanta, Ga.

  • Thirty-one cartes-de-visite and four tintypes, 1869-1887, in a photograph album belonging to W.D. Kirkland, 1 January 1871. Identified persons include Henry E. Partridge, Emma Greene, Carrie Watkins, Lola Speer, F.A. Gilbert, and D.A. DuPre. South Carolina photographers represented are J.T. Winburn; S.C. Mouzon of Spartanburg; J.R. Schorb & Son of Yorkville and Chester; W.H. Wiseman of Newberry; James D. Wilder and Wilder & Wheeler of Sumter; S.T. Souder, F.A. Nowell, and George S. Cook of Charleston; and W.A. Reckling, W.P. Hix, Wearn & Hix, and Hennies of Columbia.

  • Thirty-one cartes-de-visite and three tintypes, 1860s-1870s, in a photograph album possibly owned by C.J. "Charlie" Elford. Most of the photographs are identified, including Mrs. C.J. Elford, who "died suddenly while attending evening service at First Baptist Ch., Greenville, S.C." There is a tintype of Col. C.J. Elford, who served in the Sixteenth Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers and commanded the Third Regiment of South Carolina Reserves. Col. Elford was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Elford. South Carolina photographers represented include C.H. Lanneau's Photographic Gallery, W.M. Wheeler, and Mrs. D.W. Jones of Greenville; Wearn & Hix of Columbia; and Quinby & Co., S.T. Souder, and Bolles' Gallery of Art of Charleston.

  • Tintype, ca. 1860s-1870s, of J. Mitchell's Dry Goods, Groceries, &c. store in Lexington. Men and carts crowd the front of a two-story clapboard building with a third-story facade.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1863-1865, "Admiral Dahlgren and staff on the 'Pawnee.'" Taylor & Huntington of Hartford, Ct., claimed this to be an original print when they published it ca. 1889 as number 3413 in their series "Photographic War History, 1861-1865." The image shows Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren of the United States Navy standing on deck with eight officers. The Pawnee was involved in reducing the Confederate fortifications around Charleston.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1875, "Birds-eye from St. Michael's" looking north and showing the Mills House. Number 40 in George N. Barnard's series "South Carolina Views." Barnard took this from the church steeple, looking up Meeting Street.

  • Five stereographs, 1870s-1880s, of Charleston views. Four by George L. Cook show the Pavilion Hotel, South Bay Street, East Battery, and South Battery. The other photograph is of Grace Church by George N. Barnard and part of his series "South Carolina Views."

  • Stereograph, 1902, "President Roosevelt and party on the ruins of the old Spanish fort at Dorchester, near Charleston, S.C." Group of men and women in undeveloped area. Published by Underwood & Underwood of New York.

  • Stereograph, undated, of a lighthouse and keeper's house. Probably from the Beaufort area as a label from Stuart & Clancey, Druggists, Beaufort, S.C., is affixed to the reverse.

  • Four photographs, 1893, of the Charleston area taken after the hurricane by Clarke's Photo Gallery in Charleston. The photographs show damage to boats, houses, a mill, and possibly the Carolina Yacht Club.

  • Two photographs, undated, showing United States Marines, possibly at Parris Island. One photograph shows two men standing by an ambulance or carry-all type wagon and the other shows twenty Marines with shovels and picks grouped near the wagon and tents in the background. Probably taken during the 1890s. The United States Marine Corps established their presence on Parris Island in 1891 when First Sargent Richard Donovan arrived with two corporals and ten privates.

  • Five photographs, undated, of views in the field and at the lodge of men with guns, dogs, and horses in various stages of a bird hunting expedition. Large cabinet style format.

  • Three hundred and three photograhs, 1911-1971, relating to the Gibbes Machinery Company of Columbia. Alexander Mason Gibbes bought out his father in the W.H. Gibbes & Company in 1902 and created the Gibbes Machinery Company. This company, with a foundry on Gervais Street and automotive services on Assembly Street, operated until 1987. In 1955 the company became a Volkswagon dealership in addition to maintaining the rest of its productions. The bulk of the photographs date from 1940 to 1971 and show casting day at the foundry on the corner of Wheat and Park Streets, the automotive service department and paint and body shop, the machine shop and its products including the Gibbes table, the trailer shop for construction and repair of heavy vehicles and trailers, street level and aerial views of the complex on the corner of Assembly and Blossom Streets, company dinners, and staff. Early photographs of interest include an interior of the company office with Singer sewing machines around 1905, interior views of the company works on Gervais Street in 1911, the 1912 fire which destroyed the company building on Gervais Street, a Model A Maxwell climbing the State House steps in 1910, Caughman's Auto Transfer, and Gen. Mark Clark receiving a new car in 1959. The foundry operated from 1912 to 1957 and made lamps for the Gervais Street bridge in 1927.

  • Sixty photographs, 1976-1991, added to the papers of Cladys "Jabbo" Smith (1908-1991) provide a further visual record of the great jazz trumpeter. These pictures, made both in color and black and white, many of them undated, were made as publicity stills or as candid shots documenting his appearances, 1976-1986, at various domestic and European venues, including images taken during the run of the musical show "One Mo' Time" and at Jazz concerts or festivals in France (1982), the Netherlands (1983) and in Germany (1986). A small color photograph used as an I.D. picture for a 1978 Louisiana driver's license testifies to his presence there at that time. Photographers include Richard Corman, Nancy Miller Elliott, W.R. Everly III, Norma Holt, Donn D. Mumma, Bob Parent, Judy Sneed and Alice Su.
| Top | Front Page | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | South Caroliniana Library |
| USCAN | Manuscripts Division | USC | Search USC Web |


This page copyright © 2002, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2002/picts02.html