logo of university of south carolina
SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
MANURSCRIPTS DIVISION 2001
| Front Page | Previous Issues | Manuscripts Division | Newsletters | South Caroliniana Library |
| USCAN | Friends of the Library | Endowments | USC | Search USC web |

Pictorial South Caroliniana
2001

  • Daguerreotype, undated, sixth plate of an unidentified young man. Wood and embossed paper case stamped "Quinby & Co., Artists, Charleston, S.C.," on front; inside is an ornate brass matte and preserver.

  • Daguerreotype, undated, sixth plate of unidentified young brothers. Wood and embossed paper case stamped "Quinby & Co., Artists, Charleston, S.C.," on front; inside is a simple oval brass matte and preserver.

  • Ambrotype, undated, half plate of the Metts family taken by George S. Cook in Charleston. McDuffie and Sarah Hargrove Metts are seated with their daughters Lucy and Mary Butler P. Metts. The ambrotype is hand-tinted and gilded.

  • Carte-de-visite, 1862, "Boat landing at Beaufort," showing beached boats in the foreground, African Americans near a shed in the middle ground next to boat ramp, and houses in the background.

  • Carte-de-visite, 1866, inscribed "Capt. Ketchum, with the compliments of the ladies of 'Old Fort,' Feb. 25th 1866," and picturing two ladies riding side saddle, stopped beside a lane.

  • Carte-de-visite, undated, of William Reynolds (1815-1879) by Samuel A. Cooley of Beaufort. This photograph was taken of Reynolds on the deck of the New Hampshire. Reynolds was commander on the Vermont and the New Hampshire in Port Royal from November 1862 until July 1865. Reynolds is leaning on a brass stair railing, and there are fire buckets in the background with the ship's name on them.

  • Tintype, 1871, of Charles H. Drayton by F.A. Schiffley on King Street in Charleston. The tintype is housed in a heavily embossed paper case with an embossed flap. "C.H.D. 1871" is written on the inside of the flap, and the photograph's stamp is on the outside. Drayton was a member of the Drayton Hall plantation family and built the house at 25 East Battery in Charleston in 1883.

  • Stereograph, 1862, "Dock, built by Federal troops, Hilton Head, S.C.," taken by Timothy O'Sullivan for Gardner's Gallery in Washington, D.C. Taken from the shore with the dock offset, this view shows men, a Federal guard, and supplies on a long dock with ships at the end. O'Sullivan learned photography under Mathew Brady, then joined Alexander Gardner in 1861. As a civilian attache to the United States military, O'Sullivan photographed the Federal operations around Beaufort from late 1861 to May 1862. He left military service to follow the Army of the Potomac, photographing many of the images now associated with the Civil War.

  • Three stereographs, 1865, "Palmetto fortifications on the channel side of Ft. Sumpter," "Interior of Ft. Sumpter, looking toward Morris Island," and "Looking down the Harbor, ruins of Blakely gun in foreground," by John P. Soule of Boston. Nos. 336, 343, and 358 respectively in Soule's series "Scenes of the Great Rebellion. Charleston, S.C. and forts in vicinity."

  • Stereograph, 1869, "Laborers returning at sunset from picking cotton, on Alex. Knox's Plantation, Mt. Pleasant, near Charleston, S.C.," published by G.N. Bernard, Charleston. Shows line of African-American workers in the field with bundles on their heads. No. 84 in "South Carolina Views" series.

  • Stereograph, 1876, "Cotton," showing men and boys looking at a basket filled with cotton. Taken by J.A. Palmer of Aiken, this is one of several photographs made on the place owned by Robert Powell in the "Augusta Wood" and rented by Walter Kubler, Esq. No. 173 in "Characteristic Southern Scenes" series.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1876, "Cotton field" by J.A. Palmer of Aiken. No. 170 in "Characteristic Southern Scenes" series, the view shows African Americans picking cotton and a man in the row facing the camera with a large basket full of cotton on his head. Possibly from the series taken on Kubler's farm.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1879, "Tressel through the Swamp of the Great Pee Dee" by Rufus Morgan (1846-1880) of Morganton, N.C. No. 250 in "Scenes in the Eastern Carolinas" series, the image shows African-American men on repair cars on elevated train tracks, probably near Florence.

  • Three stereographs, 1902, from a series taken during President Theodore Roosevelt's visit to Charleston's South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition. These views include "The United Nation's President, Roosevelt, viewing the famous historic sites-from the 'Algonquin,' Charleston Harbor, S.C."; "The nation's chief visiting the Exposition-President Roosevelt on the 'Algonquin,' Charleston Harbor, S.C."; and "President Roosevelt acknowledging the salute of the warships-on the 'Algonquin,' Charleston Harbor, S.C." Underwood & Underwood of New York published the series.

  • Stereograph, 1903, "Pacolet disaster, June 6, 1903," by Tho[ma]s R. Shuford, Gastonia, N.C., showing the interior of the mill after the flood.

  • Stereograph, 1903, "The Battery, pride of old historic Charleston-cradle of many conflicts-S. Carolina," published by Underwood & Underwood of New York. Shows two Citadel cadets standing on the promenade with canons and stacked canon balls beside the walk. The view was taken looking north and shows houses on East Battery and South Battery streets.

  • Stereograph, 1905, "A view of South Carolina, rice fields, from Savannah, Ga., U.S.A.," published by Keystone View Company. Looking over tops of buildings, including the Jefferson Medical Institute, to the fields beyond the river. Caption on reverse discusses the rice industry and Savannah's role in it. No. 6205, 135 in series.

  • Stereograph, undated, "The Orphan House-Charleston, S.C.," published by Quinby & Co., Charleston. No. 2 in series. A lengthy caption on the reverse gives history of the orphanage and the statue of Sir William Pitt located on the grounds at that time.

  • Stereograph, undated, "View on the Battery, Charleston, S.C., looking south, showing the grand promenade." No. 3079 in "American Views, Popular Series." Shows houses on East Battery and South Battery streets.

  • Stereograph, undated, "Lake (Magnolia Garden), Charleston, S.C., U.S.A.," published by Keystone View Company. Shows lake with island. No. 4202 in series.

  • Stereograph, undated, of house and garden by Jesse A. Bolles. Part of his "Charleston, S.C., and Vicinity" series. Shows a three-story clapboard house with piazzas on each floor. The front yard has a rock garden, yucca plants, and a small trellis.

  • Two stereographs, undated, "View of the wharves, Charleston, S.C., near the Battery," by E. & H.T. Anthony Company, No. 3093 in "American Views, Popular Series," showing masted schooners, small mosquito fleet boats, and a barge at the docks. This is probably Adger's Wharf. "View of East Bay, from the Post Office, Charleston," showing street scene with horse carts and shop fronts.

  • Stereograph, undated, "The Battery, Charleston, S.C.," published by S.T. Souder, Charleston. No. 48. Looking west on South Battery, showing houses and portion of White Point Gardens.

  • Stereograph, undated, "Main Street" by J.A. Palmer, Aiken. No. 62 in "Aiken and Vicinity" series. Shows Main Street, plaza, and St. Thaddeus Epsicopal Church in Aiken.

  • Stereograph, undated, "St. James Church near Charleston, S.C.," by T.E. Wood of Ashtabula, Ohio. St. James, Goose Creek, after earthquake of 1886. Shows front and left side and gate. Very similar to the Jesse Bolles stereographs in the collection.

  • Cabinet, undated, of the Blackstock Presbyterian manse in Fairfield County. Taken by W.H. Morrow, it shows a family standing on porch steps and a complete view of the house. The mount has scalloped, gilt edges.

  • Eleven photographs, 1861, "Complete Views of Interior in Sections." Small albumen prints show the interior and exterior of Ft. Sumter after the Confederate bombing in 1861. Printed text describes the photographs and indicates there was a twelfth photograph in the group. The small albumen prints have been grouped in such a way as to provide a panoramic effect. Includes dignitaries and wives visiting the fort, soldiers clearing debris, ordnance, ruins of officers' quarters and soldiers' barracks, and shot furnaces. The photographer is unknown.

  • Photograph, June 1874, "Phosphate Wharf at Beaufort, S.C." This large format albumen print shows men standing on the docks, a boat tied to the docks, and men and a cart on the level above the docks.

  • Photograph, 1913, of Gov. Coleman L. Blease and his staff. All of the staff are in military uniforms of various descriptions and are standing in a yard. Photograph by Walter L. Blanchard, Columbia. Accompanying the photograph is a certificate appointing W.A. James "Aide-de-Camp, Governor's Staff, National Guard of South Carolina, ranking as Lieutenant-Colonel, from January 22, 1913."

  • Photograph, 1923, of Clemson College mess hall, Junior-Senior Banquet, 11 May 1923. Print shows the interior of the dining hall with tables decorated with flowers and candles as well as streamers and other decorations hanging from the ceiling.

  • Photograph, ca. 1888, of a class at the Columbia Female Academy. Pictured with the students is a man identified as Mr. Dreher, presumably Ernest S. Dreher for whom Dreher High School in Columbia is named. The school was located at the corner of Washington and Marion Streets from 1820 to 1888 when the building was leased to the city for the first public school, Columbia High School.

  • Photograph, undated, advertising bureau, James & Stewart, Pelzer. Four boys with papers over one arm, next to horse and carriage; possibly cotton mill in background.

  • Fifteen photographs, undated, of scenes around Charleston. Twelve photographs were taken at the same time and include churches, public buildings, parks, monuments, and the Villa Margherita. Three were taken at different times and include a house on Nassau Street, the College of Charleston, and "old house at Chicora Place, now main yard."

  • Postcard, undated, Calhoun Street, Newberry. A bifold card published for Mayes' Book Store, showing Aveleigh Presbyterian Church and residences on Calhoun Street.

| Top | Front Page | Previous Issues | Newsletters | South Caroliniana Library |
| USCAN | Friends of the Library | USC | Search USC web |
This page copyright © 2001, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2001/visual.html