logo of university of south carolina
SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
MANUSCRIPTS DIVISION
| Front Page | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | South Caroliniana Library |
| Endowments | USC | Search USC |

Pictorial South Caroliniana
2000

  • Daguerreotype, undated, of an unidentified family by Daniel L. Glen of Charleston. Glen opened his Palmetto Daguerrean Gallery on King Street in 1852. He continued in business at least until 1866, working in various towns such as Sumter and Georgetown. He produced quality work and was a keen competitor for George S. Cook and other Charleston daguerreotypists.

  • Daguerreotype, undated, of an unidentified man by George Smith Cook. An ornate copper matte indicates the image dates from the 1850s. The reverse of the quarter plate case is stamped "Cook, Artist, Charleston."

  • Daguerreotype, undated, of three Gibson girls is an addition to the South Caroliniana Library's holdings of the Summer, Brown, and Caldwell families. This quarter plate was made by W[illia]m Stroud in Norristown, Pa., probably around 1850.

  • Tintype, undated, of Janie H. Lide. Housed in a sixth plate case with "Geo. S. Cook, Artist, Charleston" embossed on the inside lining, it shows a young woman, probably mid-1860s, with rosy cheeks and gilded jewelry. This could be Jane Holloway Lide (1849-1865), daughter of Samuel Wilds and Mary Allston Alison Lide. The side with Cook's name is not original to the case. If this is by Cook, it is an unusual example of his work with tintypes.

  • Carte-de-visite, undated, of Dr. [George William] Holland (1838-1895), president of Newberry College from 1878 to 1895. Photograph by J.Z. Salter of Newberry.

  • Stereograph, [1861-1865], "Officers and crew of the Iron-Clad Passaic, at Divine Service, off Charleston, S.C." Photographed by E.W. Sinclair for Samuel A. Cooley, Photographer, Tenth Army Corps. Cooley had galleries in Beaufort, Folly Island, and Hilton Head. The U.S.S. Passaic was commanded by Percival Drayton, brother of Confederate general Thomas F. Drayton, and participated in the futile attack on Ft. Sumter in April 1863. The photograph shows the crew, including African Americans, sitting on deck with officers seated in chairs. A high ranking officer, possibly Drayton, is standing behind a flag draped table.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1869, "Interior view of ginning mills ginning Sea Island cotton on Alex. Knox's Plantation, Mount Pleasant, near Charleston, S.C." Published by G[eorge] N. Barnard, Charleston. A row of gins emits cotton while African-American men tend the gins. Part of a series of views taken by Barnard on Knox's plantation.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1869, "Ruins of St. Finbars, Interior," looking through the stone archway of the west entrance toward the chancel. St. John the Baptist and St. Finbar was destroyed in the December 1861 fire. F.A. Nowell, Photographer and Publisher, 263 King St., Charleston. No. 17 in series.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1869, "Negro Quarters on an Old South Carolina Plantation," by G[eorge] N. Barnard. Shows African Americans outside a row of cabinsCmen with their ox carts, women doing wash, children grouped together. Inscribed "Theresa M. Abbott." No. 75 in South Carolina Views.

  • Stereograph, 1876, "Planting Centennial Tree H P Hotel Grounds April 15th /76." Shows a group of children dressed in white and women in colonial costume standing behind a small tree. Onlookers, many holding parasols, are gathered around them. The Highland Park Hotel is not visible. No. 378 in Aiken and Vicinity series.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1870s, "Going to the Gin," by J.A. Palmer of Aiken. No. 138 in his Characteristic Southern Scenes, this image shows an African-American family with an ox cart loaded with cotton. The father, holding the oxen's horns, has a shotgun on his shoulder.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1886, of the Custom House by George LaGrange Cook, Charleston. Showing rubble piled in gutters, the photograph was probably taken after the earthquake of 31 August 1886.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1895, "A Rice Raft, South Carolina." Published by Underwood & Underwood, New York; card 18, image 5677. Women and girls are standing on the raft laden with rice and one man in back is holding a bundle on his head. Description on reverse indicates the picture was taken outside Georgetown.

  • Stereograph, ca. 1905, "Weaving Room (2,400 Looms), Great Olympian Cotton Mills, Columbia, South Carolina." Published by Keystone View Company; card H294, image V23231. Men, women, and children tend immense rows of weaving machines in the Olympia Mill. Description on reverse gives brief Southern textile mill history.

  • Two stereographs, 1903, "Drawing frames in the great Olympian Cotton Mills (1,200 operators), Columbia, S.C.," and "Warping room in the great Olympian Cotton Mills, Columbia, South Carolina." Published by Underwood & Underwood of New York; card S155, image 5674, and card S157, image 5672, respectively. Both images show workers and machines in the Olympia Mill. Reverse includes description of process and industry

  • Stereograph, ca. 1905, "A Beautiful Scene in Magnolia Gardens, near Charleston, South Carolina." Published by Keystone View Company; card T23, image 23482T. Image of pond with bridge in background. Description of gardens on reverse.

  • Stereograph, 1905-1909, "Flooding the Rice Fields, South Carolina." Published by Keystone View Company; card 104, image 30010. Descrip-tion on reverse provides information on growing rice.

  • Stereograph, undated, of The Citadel by G.L. Cook, Charleston. No. 87 in series. View from south side of Marion Square showing civilians watching field activity from fence. Horses are hauling cannon and supplies onto parade ground. George LeGrange Cook was the son of photographer George Smith Cook.

  • Stereograph, undated, "Chapel, Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, S.C." View across the pond, with the chapel on the far bank. No. 54 in American Views, Standard Series.

  • Two stereographs, undated, of Caesar's Head area taken by A.F. Baker, Photographer, London Art Gallery, Hendersonville, N.C., and Blackville, S.C. The views are of "Little River Gorge, Caesar's Head R[oa]d," and "Point Look-out."

  • Ten photographs, 1863 and undated, of Morris Island, Folly Island, and Hilton Head Island by Union photographers Haas & Peale. This series doubles the South Caroliniana Library's holdings of Haas & Peale images. This set includes No. 2, Scene on Folly Island (horse and small wagon on dirt road); No. 19, Beacon House; No. 23, Battery Meade; No. 26, Ruins of Charleston Lighthouse; No. 27, Battery Reno; No. 29, Battery Stevens; No. 34, 30-pounder Battery in Ft. Putnam; No. 37, Battery Hays; No. 38, 300-pounder Parrot Rifle; and No. 43, Ft. Sumter, 23 August 1863. Almost all of the images include Union soldiers. Work on Battery Stevens began in July 1863 and was completed in about three weeks; work was slowed by high water and corpses. It was one of several batteries built under Gen. Quincy A. Gilmore's command. Philip Haas enlisted in the Union Army in 1861 at the age of fifty-three. He was assigned to special service in photography and attached to General Gilmore's army in 1862. His assistant was Washington Peale, a painter. Due to ill-health and the rigors of war photography, Haas resigned from the army in May 1863.

  • Ten photographs, 1887-1889, of Patrick Military Institute students. The school originally opened in 1870 as Greenville High School; it subsequently operated as the Greenville Military Institute from 1878 to 1887, at which time it relocated to Anderson and opened as the Patrick Military Institute. The Institute ceased operations during the late 1890s. The one carte-de-visite and eight cabinets are identified: Cadet J.G. Williams, Allendale, 1888-89; Percy Sharpe, 1887-88-89; M.A. Dean, Deans, 1887-88-89; Quartermaster T.W. Gary, Newberry, 1887-88-89; A.H. Byrd, Darlington; Cadet M. McCants, Co. A, Johnson, 1889; J.G. Seigler, Aiken, 1889; L.A. Lorick, Columbia, 1889; and Cadet Coleman. One cabinet is unidentified. Photographers include J.C. Fitzgerald of Greenville, J.H. Collins of Anderson, Hennies of Columbia, and Pelot and Cole of Augusta, Ga.

  • Photograph, 1908, of a young male mill hand by Lewis Wickes Hine (1874-1940). Working as an investigative photographer for the National Child Labor Committee (NCLC) from 1908 to 1921, Lewis Hine documented working and living conditions of children in the United States. Intended for distribution by the NCLC for publicity and educational purposes, Hine's photographs were included with his reports to the committee. They also appeared in illustrated publications and exhibitions circulated by the NCLC. This image is number 374 and is identified as a worker in Clinton Cotton Mills in December 1908.

  • Two photographs, 1917, showing a troop train at Spartanburg and a scene taken from a train near Campobello. The first photograph is of two cars with men standing beside them and leaning out the windows. The Campobello photograph captured two men, a canvas covered truck, and a mule-drawn wagon. These are snapshots and probably taken by a soldier on his way to or from Camp Wadsworth.

  • Twelve photographs, 1935-1964 and undated, of places around Columbia. Of interest are views of the Big Apple building and an African-American couple doing the Big Apple dance, ca. 1937; preparing the site of the old Imperial Theater on Main Street for the Palmetto Theater, ca. 1935; and an aerial view of Columbia, 1964. Others include residences and government buildings. At least one photograph is by Charles Old of Columbia.

  • Thirty-one photographs, 1937-1938, 1941-1942, and undated, of South Carolina railroads and railways. The collection contains images of locomotives, cars, and stations for Piedmont & Northern Railway at Greenville; Columbia Street Railway; Charleston Consolidated Railways Gas & Electric Company; Florence Electric Railway Company; Anderson Traction Company; Seaboard Air Line Railway in Columbia; Charleston & Western Carolina Railroad; and Columbia, Newberry & Laurens Railroad.

  • Three photographs, 1940, of Henrietta Pinkney and her home near Charleston and an African-American man on an ox cart pulled to the side of a concrete road near Charleston. These snapshots are inscribed on the reverse and stamped with the date.

  • Photograph, undated, of Wheeler and Moseley building in Prosperity. The mount is stamped "Wheeler & Moseley, Bankers, Prosperity, S.C." In front of the building is a group of men and women and a boy with a small cart, as well as three wagons. A sign on one of the wagons reads "Moseley Bros., Prosperity, S.C."

  • Postcard, ca. 1903, of "[Waccamaw] River at Conway, S.C., Horry Co[unty-]." Photograph taken by and published by Warren Kenneth Hamilton, Conway, shows the Waccamaw River with docks and a side wheel steamboat. Postmarked September 1903. Hamilton also had studios in Dillon and Florence during his career.

  • Postcard, 17 December 1905, of "Two So. Carolina products a county dispensary and yoked oxen as motive power, Greenville." An African-American man stands next to his ox cart that is stopped alongside a building. The sign in the window reads "County Dispensary," and above that is a sign for G.L. Armory, Co. A, 1st S.C.V.I. At this time, each county had a County Dispensary board that regulated the distribution and sale of liquor. The card was sponsored by Wm. H. Cobb & Co. 5 & 10 Cent Stores.

  • Twelve postcards, ca. 1909, of the Aiken Race Meet. The set of real photograph postcards includes the parade of horses, race, pony cart race, and general views.

  • Postcard, ca. 1915, "Public Square, South Side, Darlington, S.C." A panoramic view, it shows the courthouse, the monument wrapped with garland, horse-drawn carriages and carts in the road, and shop fronts.

  • Postcard, 1920, "South Carolina Row, White Sulphur Springs, W. Va." Hand-colored Albertype Postcard, with inscription and postmark, showing a row of resort cabins, presumably used by South Carolinians.

  • Postcard, undated, "The old Jennings home, now the `Riverside Infirmary,' Charleston, S.C." Published by The Albertype Company, Brooklyn, N.Y., and sponsored by Lanneau's Art Store, Charleston. Large format, sepia tone.

  • Twenty-one postcards, 1909-1943 and undated, of various locations in South Carolina. Of particular interest are Little Mountain High School; a log skidder used by Atlantic Coast Lumber; Bennettsville cotton market in 1910; Kelly residence and Presbyterian Church in Bethune about 1915; Woodside Free School and Community House in Greenville about 1920; and tornado damage in Charleston about 1938.

  • Fifty postcards, 1906-1934 and undated, of various locations in South Carolina. Among the images are Georgetown Seminary; West Main Street in Ninety Six; 14th Band at Yemassee in 1913; Hardeeville Methodist Church; crew from Laurens Glass Works; Long Cane Creek covered bridge in McCormick County; and Kings Mountain Street in Clover.

  • Printed manuscript, 2 June 1862, Confederate States one dollar bill picturing Lucy Holcomb Pickens and a steamboat. Said to be the most beautiful woman of the Confederacy, there are few known images of Lucy Pickens.

  • Half-tone print, undated, "Camp Wadsworth, Spartanburg, South Carolina." Panorama has four views: overview of camp, exercises, rifle instruction, and marching. Overview shows wooden buildings and tents. Camp Wadsworth opened in mid-1917 with over nine hundred buildings constructed within a few months. More than forty thousand men were trained there during its year-and-a-half existence

  • Aquatint, undated, added to the Margaret M. Law collection is titled "Snow Gang" and pictures three men with picks working a snowy road. It is similar in style to her works titled "Road Pickers" and "Chain Gang."

  • Lithograph, 1848, of LeGrand Guerry Capers (1808-1868) by Charles Fenderich. Capers was born in Sumter District, married first Abigail Swift and second Amelia Freelove Layton. He was a Charleston merchant and served on General Worth's staff during the war with Mexico. He was an American judge in "Tampico y estado de Tamolepos Mexico en 1846-47-y48."

| Top | Front Page | Previous Issues | Friends of the Library | South Caroliniana Library |
| Endowments | USC | Search USC |
This page copyright © 2000, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/2000/visual.html