SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
Pictorial South Caroliniana, 1999
- Daguerreotype, ca. 1856, of Felix Harling of Edgefield County, in a Union case with a George Washington motif. The thermoplastic case was made by S[amuel] Peck.
- Daguerreotype, ca. 1856, of an unidentified woman by [George Smith] Cook and Root Gallery in Philadelphia. Cook purchased Marcus A. Root's gallery in 1856. Showing an older woman, possibly a Quaker, in a ruche cap and glasses, the quarter plate is in a plain leather case.
- Daguerreotype, seven ambrotypes, and twenty-six photographs, 1850s-1890s, of the Summer, Brown, and Caldwell families. The daguerreotype is a quarter plate of Elisha and Elijah Fox by Frear in Montgomery, Ala. The sixth plate ambrotypes are identified as N.E. Moffett—a young girl with her head resting on a table, a fully colored image—and A.J. Gibson—a double image. The five ninth plate ambrotypes are not identified, but two are by Quinby & Company in Charleston. The twenty-six cartes-de-visite and cabinets are of the John Calhoun and Sallie Bughardt Brown family, Bettie Caldwell Gibson, Bartlee Smyth Gibson, Albert Jacob Gibson, and W.M. DeLomu, Jr. South Carolina photographers represented include: W.P. Hix, Wearn & Hix, W.A. Reckling, and Hennies of Columbia; W.H. Wiseman and Salter of Newberry; S.T. Souder and F.A. Nowell of Charleston; and Winburn of Sumter. Also included are a cabinet-size memorial card for T.M. Pollock (1836-1892), a clipping on the burning of "Oak Wood" in Richland County, and a clipping on the marriage of Charlotte Cantey Johnson and Matthew Richard Singleton.
- Carte-de-visite, 1862-1865, Magnolia Hotel, Beaufort, with Union flag flying in front of the hotel. Engraved on the reverse of the mount is an image of Lt. Fairfax, a Union officer, by Wm. S. & A. Martien, Philad[elphi]a.
- Carte-de-visite, 1862-1865, residence of Gen. Rufus Saxton, Beaufort, by Hubbard & Mix, Practical Photographers, Beaufort. Taken from the end of the dock.
- Carte-de-visite, ca. 1863, of John M. Thompson, captain, Co. F, 1st South Carolina Volunteers, taken by Sam[uel] A. Cooley, Beaufort. The 1st Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, was organized at Beaufort on 31 January 1863 and mustered out of service on 31 January 1866. Its designation was changed to 33rd Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops, on 8 February 1864. Thompson was commissioned a captain on 7 November 1863. The reverse is inscribed "J.M. Thompson, Capt. Co F, 1 So. Ca. Vols." This is an exceptionally sharp full-length image by a Union photographer.
- Three cartes-de-visite, undated, of Reidville Female College, Reidville Male Academy, and the faculty of Spartanburg Female College. The two Reidville images are colored tintypes and are copies of photographs, possibly daguerreotypes or tintypes. Each image shows the school building with students and teachers standing in front. The Spartanburg Female College image is a composite of the Rev. Samuel B. Jones, the Rev. Samuel Lander, Miss Jane Wofford, Miss Lou McCollough, and Miss Alice Loman. It is an albumen print by S.C. Mouzon, Photographer, Spartanburg. Mouzon may have made the Reidville images as well.
- Stereograph, undated, "The Battery, Charleston, S.C.," by S.T. Souder, Charleston. North side of the Battery shows African-American boys selling chickens. No. 48 in series.
- Stereograph, 1867-1868, Stevenson's Boarding House, Park Ave. & Newberry St., Aiken, part of series Tucker & Perkins' Southern Stereoscopic Views, Augusta, Ga.
- Stereograph, undated, Columbia Hotel, by Wearn & Hix, Artists, Columbia. Exterior view with horse and buggies out front. No. 199 in series.
- Stereograph, undated, "South Battery, from Meeting Street, Charleston, S.C.," No. 57 in South Carolina Views series by G.N. Barnard, Charleston. Looking toward the corner of South Battery and Meeting with a horse-drawn trolley car marked "Broad, Meeting, & Wentworth."
- Three stereographs, ca. 1870, in G.N. Barnard's series South Carolina Views. Includes the interior of St. Michael's Church taken from the balcony looking toward the altar, South Battery at Meeting Street, and a distant view of Fort Sumter showing the lighthouse.
- Fifteen stereographs, ca. 1870s-1880s, of Beaufort, Charleston, and Greenville. Images include two partial series of Governor Perry and family at Sans Souci near Greenville by Earle Turpin and Wheeler Art Gallery, Charles Street in Beaufort by Wilson & Havens of Savannah, and Charleston views by G.N. Barnard and S.T. Souder of Charleston and Kilburn Brothers of New Hampshire.
- Fifteen stereographs, 1860s-1870s, of Charleston and surrounding area. Produced by firms such as Quinby & Company of Charleston and E. & H.T. Anthony of New York, images of note include "Interior of Fort Moultrie, Moultrieville in the distance," "Interior view of Ft. Putnam, Charleston Harbor," "Interior of Ft. Wagner, Morris Island," during occupation and after, "Mortar Battery in Ft. Chatfield, Morris Island," and a view of the O'Connor House taken by Matthew Brady. Fort Putnam was the former Confederate Battery Gregg on the north end of Morris Island and was occupied in September 1863. Union forces consolidated Batteries Chatfield, Seymour, and Barton to make Fort Chatfield.
- Three stereographs, undated, of views around Aiken by J.A. Palmer. The images include "Park Avenue," No. 276 in Aiken and Vicinity series; "Rice Field," No. 468 in Characteristic Southern Scenes series; and Highland Park Hotel with railroad cut in foreground.
- Stereograph, 1895, "Plantation Negroes Carrying Rice in South Carolina, U.S.A.," published by Strohmeyer & Wyman in New York and sold by Underwood & Underwood in New York. Shows African-American men and women carrying bundles of rice atop their heads while walking through a cut rice field.
- Stereograph, ca. 1905, "Opening the Flood Gates—Flooding a Rice Field at High Tide, South Carolina, U.S.A.," published by Keystone View Company in Meadville, Penn. An African-American man is standing on the gate, pushing it down to open it; a rice field stretches beyond him. The reverse contains a description of rice growing.
- Stereograph, ca. 1875, "Main Street N. from Capitol," by W.A. Reckling, No. 17 in his Popular Series of Southern Views. Probably taken from the second floor of the State House, the view clearly shows the base for the Palmetto Monument, a white fence enclosing the State House grounds, and buildings on Main Street for several blocks. Print overlays one of U.S. Officers' Headquarters.
- Stereographs, undated, of Goose Creek Church by Jesse A. Bolles of Charleston. The exterior view shows the church, the yard, and a man in the foreground. The interior view is of the pulpit area. Part of the Charleston, S.C., and Vicinity series.
- Five stereographs, undated, of places around Charleston. Part of the Southern Series, Charleston, South Carolina, is "No. 5 Charleston Library" at 50 Broad Street and "No. 32 Corner Market and Meeting Streets," offices of the Daily Morning Chronicle just below Market Hall. Three other views on orange mounts are identified with handwritten captions: "St. Michaels Church" looking north, "City Hall," and "Market Hall" with theatre marquee out front.
- Photograph and stereograph, 1889 and undated, "Cotton Lint Room" by J.A. Palmer, Aiken; and "Pavilion Hotel," No. 15 in the Southern Series, Charleston, South Carolina. The Palmer photograph shows a woman with a small basket standing near a doorway with lint hanging from the walls and ceiling and a waist-high mound of lint on the floor separating her and an African-American woman; it is inscribed on the reverse "Aiken Views, Dec. 28th 1889." The stereograph of the Pavilion Hotel in Charleston shows front and side views of building with a wagon and a porter and other African-American men and boys outside.
- Five photographs, 1860-1861, of Charleston by Osborn & Durbek. "Sumter from Sullivans Island April 1861, Sand Battery in foreground"; "Ruins in Meeting Street looking north after the great fire in 1861. Ruins of Institute Hall and the Circular Church"; "View in Meeting Street looking north 1861. 1. Front of the Round [Circular] Church, 2. Institute Hall, in with the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession was passed"; "View of the Battery opposite Meeting Street" showing turnstiles onto the promenade; "View of the Battery" showing turnstiles and harbor light. The two images of the Battery were taken in 1860 before the turnstiles were removed for wartime defenses. The image of Institute Hall is the only known example in the state.
- Thirty-seven photographs, 1886, Cook's Earthquake Views of Charleston and Vicinity, Taken After the 31st of August, 1886. Photographed and produced by George LaGrange Cook of Charleston, the series contains one hundred and one views of the destruction caused by the earthquake in Charleston, Ten Mile Hill, and Goose Creek.
- Two photographs, undated, of The Eagle Shoe Factory in Florence and a Greenville street. The factory image shows the interior of a shoe repair shop with young African-American men working at the counter, repair area, and shoe shine stand. Letterhead attached to the mount indicates that H.W. Schmidt was proprietor with two shops—110 East Evans Street and 305 North Dargan Street. The street scene shows a main street with snow, several horse-drawn wagons, the courthouse, the Mansion House, Greenville Furniture Co., a barber shop, café, and telegraph and electrical poles.
- Two photographs, undated, of a Laurens & Newberry Railroad car and a pastoral scene. Standing next to railroad car 42475 is a man, his wife, and two young girls; the car is sitting on one of several tracks and is hooked to a hand car. The Boudoir-sized landscape by J.R. Schorb of Yorkville shows fields, a farmhouse, a barn, and mountains in the distance.
- Photograph, 1886, of St. Philip's Church by Geo[rge] L[aGrange] Cook, Photographer, Charleston. No. 3 in Cook's Earthquake Views of Charleston and Vicinity, Taken After the 31st of August, 1886. Camera placement was in middle of Church Street in front of the Huguenot Church looking north. Sold by George J. Lanneau, Dealer in Cigars, Smoking & Chewing Tobaccos and Cigarettes, Charleston.
- Ten photographs, 1890-1924 and undated, of Williamston Female College building and of Kathleen Lander Willson, John O. Willson, Kathleen McP[herson] Lander, Emma Trent Hand, and Miss Hanna Keely. The three views of the school are from different perspectives: from the front looking towards the back, from the back looking towards the front and down the street, and from a nearby park, with a fountain, showing the side of the building. Kathleen L. Willson was the daughter of the school's founder, Samuel Lander, and wrote a biography of him; she married John O. Willson. Williamston Female College later became Lander College. Photographers include Wheeler of Greenville and L.L. Wallace of Williamston.
- Two photographs and engraving, ca. 1893-1896 and 1934, of Thomas W. Woodward. "Post Bellum Presidents of the State Agricultural and Mechanical Society of South Carolina," with names and dates of service; Woodward was president, 1873-1875. "The True Patriots of the Age Standing by the Hero of 1876," known as the "Hampton Gang," with members identified and Hampton and five others represented by photographic insets. The engraving of Woodward was used in David Duncan Wallace's History of South Carolina.
- Six photographs, 1940s-1950s, taken by photographers Mrs. Jessie Gasque Hamilton Blackmon and her daughter Mrs. Betty Warren Blackmon Wyman of Florence. Mrs. Blackmon learned photography from her father, Warren Kenneth "Kay" Hamilton, who opened a studio in Florence in 1918. Kay Hamilton's son, Hubert S. Hamilton, operated the studio from 1937 to 1947, when it merged with another Florence studio Mrs. Blackmon had opened in 1944. The studio closed in 1985. Images include a Shriners parade in downtown Florence, Kafer's Bakery with fleet outside, a train wreck, and Mrs. Blackmon with her husband, Jennings, and her brother Hugh Stephen Hamilton outside Blackmon's Studio.
- Crayon portrait, undated, of Henry Pinckney Miller (1816-1890), Consul to Charleston for Queen Victoria. This photograph depicts Miller in uniform with a sword at his side and his hat on a small table. The photograph itself is large format on paper backed with linen. It was produced using a developing-out process; the enlarged, weak photographic image was finished with charcoal or crayon. This type of photograph was made from the 1860s through the early 1900s.
- Photograph album, 1877-1901 and undated, of the Hunt and Caldwell families of Newberry County contains sixty-four cartes-de-visite, cabinets, and tintypes. Some of the identified persons include J.H. Hunt, Bachman Wise, O.B. Mayer, Sr., O.B. Mayer, Jr., the Rev. G.H. Wright, Fannie Mae Carwile, Etta Wearn, and Dr. G.B. Caldwell. South Carolina photographers include Salter, W.H. Wiseman, and Elite Photo Studio in Newberry; Wearn & Hix, Reckling, and Hennies in Columbia; Nowell in Charleston; and Van Orsdell in Orangeburg.
- Photograph album, undated, of an anonymous family and their friends. The album contains twelve cartes-de-visite, fourteen tintypes, and two photographs. Identified persons include J.K. Brodie, Mary Bean, Kizzie Perry, and Sallie Faulkner. South Carolina photographers include P. Sinclair, Traveling Photographer; Jesse H. Bolles and S.T. Souder, Charleston; and C.M. Van Orsdell, Orangeburg.
- Engraving, undated, of Battery Beauregard, Sullivan's Island. Signed C.W. Chapman, 22 November 1863. Made from a Conrad Wise Chapman painting.
- Woodcuts, 22 May 1869, of Aiken scenes as part of "Southern Life and Scenery—From Sketches by Joseph Becker," in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper: "Scene at the R.R. Station, Aiken, South Carolina—Arrival of the Train from the North," "The Hotel at Aiken—The Morning Promenade," and "View of the Principal Street at Aiken."
- Union case, ca. 1858, with Francis Marion and the sweet potato dinner image made by Littlefield, Parson & Company. The design is based on the painting "General Marion in his Swamp Encampment Inviting a British Officer to Dinner" by John B. White. The thermoplastic case contains a quarter plate ambrotype of five siblings.
- Thirteen postcards, 1903-1933 and undated, depict seldom seen views of various places around South Carolina. Of special note is the ca. 1903 first-grade class in their room at Barnwell Public School, the Cheraw cotton market in 1910 with baseball field bleachers in the background, part of the business district of Clemson in 1933, and the Corner Store in Frogmore in 1927.
- Hand-colored postcard, undated, "Golf at The Kirkwood," showing a threesome on the course with their caddies. The hotel and clubhouse are in the background. Published by the Albertype Company in Brooklyn, New York.
- Twenty-seven postcards, 1906-1924 and undated, of various locations in South Carolina. Of special interest is the mule trolley in Orangeburg, the Westminster Bank, the entrance to a covered bridge near Cheraw, the Dearborn Inn in Great Falls, and the Bank of Chesterfield.
| 1999 USCS Program Table of Contents | University South Caroliniana Society |
| South Caroliniana Library |
This page copyright © 1999-2000, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.