SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
G.W. Aimar & Co. (Charleston, S.C.) Druggist's Label, [ca. 1852-1877]Printed manuscript, undated, of G.W. Aimar & Co., nineteenth-century druggist's label. The Aimar drug store, founded in 1852, operated at the corner of King and Vanderhorst streets in Charleston for over one hundred twenty-five years.
The imprint, which likely dates from the period 1852-1877, is a relic from the days when druggists compounded and bottled their own remedies; it was intended to be affixed to a bottle of George Washington Aimar's store brand gonorrhea medicine. No doubt, the formula was some mixture of lead, zinc, or copper salts that did little more than treat the symptoms. Despite the "infallible" five-day cure promised by the label, no cure for gonorrhea existed until the sulfa drugs of the 1930s and the antibiotics of the 1940s.
| 1998 Manuscripts Collections | 1998 USCS Program Menu | South Caroliniana Library | This page copyright (c) 1997-98, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.