logo of university of south carolina
SOUTH CAROLINIANA LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINIANA SOCIETY
MANUSCRIPTS COLLECTIONS

Deed of Henry Felder, Jr.

Manuscript, 1798, deed of Henry Felder, Jr., for land in Amelia Township is a rare historical find because Orangeburg County's early records were burned by Sherman's army in 1865. Felder (1748-1802?) represented St. Matthew and Orange parishes in the South Carolina House of Representatives, 1782-1786 and 1792-1794.

The conveyance identifies the seventy-five acre tract as part of 250 acres originally granted to Conrade Hover and sold by his son Joseph Hover to Conrad Amick. Felder purchased the land from Amick's widow, daughter, and son-in-law—Eve Shingler, Elisabeth King, and Sebastian King. Although the transaction occurred on 17 September 1798, Felder died soon afterward and his heirs waited thirty years to record the deed. On 14 January 1828, Orangeburgh District Register of Mesne Conveyance J. Winningham recorded it in the lost Book No. 13, pages 401-402.

| 1997 Manuscripts Collections | 1997 USCS Program Menu | South Caroliniana Library |

This page copyright © 1996-97, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/1997/felder97.html