The University
South Caroliniana Society

Friends of the South Caroliniana Library


The Society

On-line Publications of the Society

River Baptism, Colleton County
River Baptism, Colleton County, S.C.
Photo by BEULAH GLOVER


Membership in the Society provides funding that ensures continued preservation of the visual and documentary heritage of the Palmetto State, including this image from the Beulah Glover collection.

Click on the image to read more about Glover and her work, in our Spring 1997 newsletter.

Welcome to the home page of the University South Caroliniana Society--a network of dedicated individuals supporting the study and preservation of South Carolina history.

Browse our Annual Programs for detailed descriptions of recent aquisitions. Visit the linked pages of the divisions within the library to learn more about the projects supported by membership in the Society.

Read more About the South Caroliniana Library at this site that includes a vintage photograph documenting the era when automobiles roamed the Horseshoe.

| Books Division | Manuscripts Division | Modern Political Collections | University Archives |
| South Caroliniana Library |


History and Mission of the Society

image of pilaster - 2.2 KThe University South Caroliniana Society actively collects, preserves, and encourages research in materials documenting the history of the Palmetto State. The Society promotes research via its publications, meetings, and annual programs. Our name, "Caroliniana," uses the Latin suffix to signify "things pertaining to Carolina."

The Society formed in 1937 at the invitation of University of South Carolina president J. Rion McKissick and the University Caroliniana committee. Concerned by the removal and dispersal of valuable historical documents to locations outside the state, McKissick and the committee resolved to increase the holdings of the University's South Carolina collection. With additions of new matierials, this collection soon outgrew its alcove in the reading room.

With completion of a new library facility in 1940, the University removed the general library holdings to the new McKissick Memorial Library, now McKissick Museum. This allowed continued growth of the South Carolina collection in the old library building.

To assure the permanence of its work, the Society was incorporated in 1951. Since that time the Society has functioned as the private non-profit organization of the South Caroliniana Library with the sole purpose of supporting the Library in its mission.

When completed in 1840, the monumental Tuscan columns gracing the Horseshoe marked the first use of a free-standing building for a college library in the United States. Today, the Caroliniana continues to "make history" by providing researchers with the raw materials of scholarship. Membership in the society supports the active collection and preservation of books, manuscripts, and Modern Political Collections documenting the rich history of South Carolina. Gifts to the Society ensure that these valuable materials remain within the Palmetto State, and enable the South Caroliniana Library to continue serving the needs of researchers from within and beyond the University community.

| Top | South Caroliniana Library | University of South Carolina |


Gifts by Society Members

Front elevation - 12.2 KIncome from the Society endowment and dues from members provide continuing support for the purchase of documents and publications, the raw materials of South Carolina history. New gifts appear on exhibit during the Society's annual spring meeting. Printed descriptions appear in the Library's annual programs, which along with reports, publications and correspondence update members near and far on topics covered by recent aquisitions. The Society publishes notable new titles and re-publishes rare and out-of-print materials from the collections in the South Carolina Series, which is made possible through contributions designated for this purpose.

A president, secretary-treasurer, and executive council administer the affairs of the Society and, as its responsible officers, are in position to act as trustees for patrons desiring to make special gifts or bequests.

Preservation of the public records of South Carolina is the responsibility of her government, but it is a poor history of a people that is based on government records alone. By its aid in preserving and making available the papers of persons, organizations and institutions, the University South Caroliniana Society is carrying on a great trust and rendering a priceless service to the future.

| Top | South Caroliniana Library | University of South Carolina |


Membership

To join the Society, or for further information, contact the Secretary-Treasurer by telephone: (803 777-3131) or by mail:

The University South Caroliniana Society
South Caroliniana Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208

Membership categories are as follows:
Regular Member$30
Sustaining Member$75-$149
Patron$150-$499
Benefactor$500-$1499
Life Member$1,500.

| Top | South Caroliniana Library | University of South Carolina |


PUBLICATIONS: Newsletters and Programs

Caroliniana Columns Newsletter

Members of the Society receive a newsletter published in Spring and Fall, with updates on activities, recent acquisitions, and collections.

Issues Autumn 2001 to the present in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

To search the editions listed below, SEARCH USC WEB and include caroliniana and columns in your search.

Annual Publications of the Society

Members receive personal copies of the University South Caroliniana Society Program at the Society's annual meeting each May. The programs contain extensive descriptions of the years' aquisitions of manuscripts, photographs, and printed materials, as well as the text of the address given by the previous year's guest speaker.

Annual Programs from 1937 to the present are available in the Manuscripts Division Reading Room.

To search the volumes listed below, SEARCH USC web, type in "caroliniana" and name or topic of your choice to browse descriptions of recently acquired relevant collections.

| Top | Books Division |
| Manuscripts Division | University Archives |
| South Caroliniana Library |



This page copyright © 2009, The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina.
URL http://www.sc.edu/library/socar/uscs/index.html

This page updated 15 May 2009