Booker T. Washington Complex
Booker T. Washington High School was the first black high school in South Carolina. The University acquired the property in 1974. The oldest building on the property was too costly to renovate, so the University tore it down and used the bricks to pave the Horseshoe drive. Additional sections of the complex were torn down recently to make way for the construction of a new dormitory.
The University purchased this apartment complex from the City of Columbia in three stages during the 1950s and 1960s. It provided on-campus housing for married students until it was demolished in the late 1990s to make way for a parking garage.
Built in 1973 as a hotel, the Carolina Plaza was purchased by the University in 1992. It housed the Visitor's Center and University offices from 1994 to 2004. The S.C. General Assembly met there from 1995 to 1998 while the Statehouse was being renovated. The Plaza was imploded in February 2006.
Also known as the Towers, the Honeycombs were constructed in 1958, 1962, and 1965 as student residence halls. The name "Honeycombs" refers to the veil block pattern that covers the exteriors. The two oldest buildings, Baker and Burney, were demolished in 1996 to make way for the Graduate Science Research Center. The remaining four buildings were demolished in January 2007 to make way for an Honors College dormitory.