Original President's House
The original President's House was built in 1807 and was used as a residence by University presidents until the 1920s, when it was converted into offices. It was condemned as unsafe in the 1930s but the University continued to use the building until a portion of the ceiling collapsed in 1937. It was torn down in 1939 while a new library, now McKissick Museum, was constructed just behind it. The current President's House was originally a faculty housing duplex that was converted into the president's residence in the 1950s by USC President Donald S. Russell.
Old Field House
The old Field House was built in 1927 on Sumter St across from Longstreet Theatre. It served as a student assembly hall and basketball arena until it was destroyed by fire in 1968. Fortunately, the Carolina Coliseum was already under construction.
The site on which the Russell House and Thomas Cooper Library now sit was once the location of Melton and Davis Fields. Melton Field was the main football field until the construction of what would become Williams-Brice Stadium in 1934. It was named for USC President William Davis Melton. After Melton's sudden death in 1926, brick and iron memorial gates were built at the entrance to Melton Field. The gates were demolished to make way for the construction of the Russell House in the early 1950s.
The name Steward's Hall was given to three different buildings that served as cafeterias. The first was located on the Horseshoe on the site of Harper College until 1848. The second was located at the corner of Main and Greene streets. It was the site of the infamous Great Biscuit Rebellion in 1852, when Carolina students rebelled against the wormy biscuits and rancid meat that was regularly served there. The third building was constructed in 1901 and located at the corner of Sumter and Greene streets. It was torn down in 1950.
Original Wade Hampton Dormitory
Built in 1924, the original Wade Hampton dormitory was the first women's residence hall at Carolina. Until World War I, women had not attended in great numbers, and no housing was provided for them. The building was demolished in 1959 and the current Wade Hampton dorm built on the same site.
After the end of World War II, Carolina had a tremendous influx of veterans, many of whom were married, enrolling through the GI Bill. The University used surplus prefabricated government buildings to create the Carovets Apartments for married veterans and their families. The complex was located on Bull Street near the State Hospital. They were gradually torn down from the late 1950s into the early 1960s.