- Academic Info - Directory of educational sites and collections from libraries, museums, and academic organizations that is browsable by subject and searchable by keywords.
- CredoReference - Reference search engine that contains encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and books of quotations. (No access to USC Columbia; free 30-day trial offer.)
- Digital Librarian - General subject directory of online sites compiled and maintained by Margaret Vail Anderson, a librarian in Cortland, New York.
- Infoplease - Online version of Information Please's distinguished almanac, encyclopedia, dictionary, and atlas publications and reference databases which contain statistics, facts, and historical records on a variety of subjects. The site is keyword searchable as well as browsable by subject and is part of the Learning Network.
- Internet Archive - Digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form featuring the Wayback Machine which makes it possible to surf pages stored in the Internet Archive's web archive by entering an URL or clicking on specific web archive collections.
- Internet Public Library - Virtual public library of Internet sites and sources featuring directories of online texts, newspapers, magazines, reference materials, materials for teens and youth, etc. created by the University of Michigan School of Information and sponsored by Bell & Howell Information and Learning.
- Librarian's Index to the Internet - Searchable, annotated directory of Internet resources that are selected, evaluated, and arranged into general subject categories by librarians.
- Library Spot - StartSpot Mediaworks, Inc.'s network of libraries and reference information sources such as dictionaries, calculators, almanacs, maps, statistical factbooks, etc.
- LibWeb - Database of libraries on the internet arranged by type of library and location.
- MapQuest - Online service that provides detailed mapping and driving directions for the United States, Canada and most of Western Europe including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
- Online! - Guide to finding, evaluating, using, citing, and publishing Internet sources.
- Refdesk - Comprehensive database of reference sources of all types and on numerous subjects.
- WWW Virtual Library Central Database - Catalog of all the Virtual Library Divisions worldwide. The Virtual Library is the oldest catalog of the web and was started by Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of html and the web itself. The catalog is currently run by expert volunteers who compile pages of key links of subjects in their field.
- Dictionary.com - Online English dictionary, thesaurus, and reference guide.
- Foreign Word - Language site that provides access to on-line dictionaries and glossaries, gives an overview of the latest translation software products, and features Eurêka-the language search engine.
- Investopedia - Educational and reference source about investing that contains directory of investing terms, investing tutorials, investing advice from investment professionals, and investment news.
- Merriam-Webster Online - Homepage of one of the most popular dictionary publishers in the U.S. The site provides a audio service for pronunciations as well as a search engine for looking up words.
- OneLook Dictionaries - Database of online dictionaries with the search ability to search for definitions and spelling variants of words.
- Online Dictionary Net - Directory of free online language and subject dictionaries.
The Oxford English Dictionary Online - provides definitions, pronunciations, and etymologies for over half a million entries. The dictionary features 2.5 million quotations from a wide range of sources. The OED Online contains words from different varieties of world English, from North America, Europe, India, the Caribbean, and the Pacific Rim. The dictionary allows the user conduct simple world searches or advanced searches for words in the definition, quotations, author of the quotation, and etymologies.
- Wordsmyth - American English dictionary with an integrated thesaurus.
- Your Dictionary - Comprehensive portal for general language and specialty dictionaries, grammar sources, and other language-related services (i.e. - fee-based professional brand naming service for businesses) on the web.
- AnyWho - AT&T's Internet directory that provides access to search the white and yellow pages for phone numbers, addresses, and maps/directions for people and businesses in the U.S. The site features a reverse directory for finding people and businesses by area code/telephone number, a toll-free number directory, and links to online international white and yellow pages arranged by country.
- Europages - European business directory available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish and searchable by product/service, company name, and activity/industry sector.
- InfoBel - Database of international white and yellow pages arranged by country.
- SuperPages - Directory service provided by Verizon Information Services that features SuperTopics, a tool to search each product category for links to online merchants, product reviews, and comparison shopping and MerchantMatch, a search tool to find the provider who can best meet your product or service needs. The site also searchable white pages, yellow pages, city guides, and consumer guides and is available in English and Spanish.
- Switchboard - Online directory service searchable by person, business, product/service, and telephone number. The site also features maps/directions, city guides, and a database of personal e-mail addresses searchable by name.
- Telephone Prefix Location Directory - Directory of telephone prefixes and their locations in a specific area code in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean.
- USC Directory - Online directory of faculty, staff, and students at the University of South Carolina.
- Yahoo Consumer Yellow Pages - Directory of online consumer sites and businesses searchable by name or subject category provided by Yahoo!.
- Zip+4 - U.S. Postal Service's database of zip codes which allows users to search for zip codes by location or search for the location of a zip code.