The South Caroliniana Library Renovation Fund
This fund supports the renovation and maintenance of the South Caroliniana Library.
An American landmark, the South Caroliniana Library is a state and national gem. It is essential to preserve and protect the historic structure and its treasured collections for future generations.
The renovation of the Library will require significant resources and several years to complete. The project will be undertaken in two phases:
Phase I will upgrade the facility to modern standards necessary to keep the archival treasures safe and secure. The citizens of South Carolina allocated $5 million through their elected representatives to support this phase. Phase II of the renovation will make public areas of the Library more accessible and functional for patrons.
The completion of this project will not be possible without the generosity and support of those who recognize the significance of this undertaking.
Please join in this important effort by providing financial support.
For more information about this fund, please contact us.
The Renovation Plans
Phase I of the renovation is dedicated to properly storing and maintaining the Library’s treasures.
- The east wing will be gutted and reconfigured to accommodate multiple levels of state-of-the-art compact shelving.
- The area will also be retrofitted with premier fire suppression, humidity control, and heating and cooling systems.
- The collections stored in this wing will be protected by a three-hour fire barrier.
Phase II will upgrade public spaces.
- The Reading Room will be restored to its original appearance.
- The Kendall Memorial Room will become a public meeting and event space that can accommodate lectures and classes.
- The ground floor will have improved exhibition spaces and a glass entry to welcome visitors.
- Handicapped accessibility and fire suppression will be improved throughout the historic building.