This year, for the first time since 2003, the Southern 500 is taking place on its original date of Labor Day weekend. These WBTW-TV news outtakes were filmed at the Darlington Speedway on September 4, 1970, just days before the September 7th race. Driver Dick Brooks speaks about damage to his vehicle and his expectations for the upcoming event. Brooks would go on to finish 8th in the 1970 Southern 500.
Visit the MIRC Digital Video Repository for more films.
The collections below are just a sample of our offerings, and each one contains materials available online. Click the links to access videos and other curated content.
Regional Film Collections
- Always Coming Home Project
- Anna and Archer Huntington Home Movies
- Fredrick C. Adams Home Movies Collection
- Heyward Gibbes Home Movies
- Houlis Home Movies
- Itinerant Filmmakers in South Carolina
- John Herchak Home Movies Collection
- Lever-Karst Family Home Movies
- Lula Belle and Scotty Wiseman Home Movies
- Martin Family Home Movies Collection
- Mary H. Schaub Collection
- Olin E. Gambrell Collection
- Paul Rubenstein Collection
- Phelps Sisters Home Movies Collection
- Scott Nixon Home Movies
- South Carolina Arts Commission Collection
- USC Athletic Department Films
- Watson-Cambre Home Movies Collection
- YMCA Collection
Science and Nature Films
- African Americans Seen Through the Eyes of the Newsreel Cameraman
- Curated Collections, Moving Image Research Collections
- Edwin E. Gordon Archive Collection
- Eleanor Phelps' Cruise Around the World, 1922
- Fox Movietone News: The War Years
- MIRC Award for Creative Editing
- The National Media Literacy Conference Collection
- Roman Vishniac: The Subject is Nature
- South Carolina Manuscripts Collections
Located at 707 Catawba St., MIRC is open to the public Mon. - Fri., 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Thousands of hours of material may be viewed for free.
Phone: 803-777-6841, Fax: 803-777-4756
MIRC will soon be the permanent home to four decades of the U.S. Marine Corps’ film history currently housed at the History Division in Quantico, Virginia. More than 1,000 hours of this archival film footage will be transferred to the University Libraries and added to MIRC’s significant collections. Be a part of the mission to save this one-of-a-kind leatherneck legacy.