At a Distance
Distance services for students, faculty or staff working remotely. University Libraries is here for you no matter where you are!
Your Library Card
- You will want a CarolinaCard or a card from Distributed Learning Support Services to check out books when you visit a library on the Columbia campus or any participating PASCAL academic library in the state.
- Having either card also allows you to login for full access to Quick Search.
- Get a CarolinaCard by visiting the CarolinaCard office. You can upload a photo. If you are a student at a distance and unable to come to campus when the CarolinaCard office is open you can request a library card from Distibuted Learning Support Services.
- When accessing article databases, ejournals, and ebooks from off-campus or the wireless network you'll be prompted to enter your USC network username and password. Your network username was assigned to you and usually is the beginning of your USC email address. Don't confuse it with your VIP ID which is eight numbers. If you have problems, test your Network Username and Password Verification. If it fails, go to my.sc.edu and click on “View my IDS and manage my passwords” under the Personal section and reset your password.
- Are you out of the country and having trouble connecting to our resources? Many vendors require that we block access originating from outside of the United States. Try installing VPN [Virtual Private Network]. Go to my.sc.edu, logon and then select "Purchase computer software" (but you won't be charged anything). From the next screen, open up Security and then "Cisco AnyConnect VPN." Installation instructions can be downloaded with the software or from installation and set up.
- If you have problems downloading or installing the VPN client, contact the University Technology Services Desk at 803-777-1800, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit an online request.
A free wifi service, eduroam, is available to traveling faculty and staff to obtain wifi internet connectivity when visiting other participating institutions by simply connecting your device wirelessly to the eduroam wifi services. See a list of participating institutions. Additional information and instructions from University Technology Services can be found at https://uts.sc.edu/eduroam.
Getting Research Help
- Uncertain where to start your research? Take a look at our online subject and course guides. For personalized help, try Ask-a-Librarian via phone, chat, or e-mail.
Getting Materials Delivered
- Library materials can be delivered to your computer or home. Find out how easy it is to request materials we have and even materials we don't have. (more information)
- Driving directions to parking lot nearest Thomas Cooper Library
- Hours (Some hours--late evening and early morning-- you'll need to have a CarolinaCard to be in the building)
- Thomas Cooper Virtual Library Tour
- Lockers are available in Thomas Cooper Library to stow your stuff if you want to take a break from the library. Check out a key from Circulation using your CarolinaCard.
- Find out how the library can help you and your students with e-reserves, online course guides, and library instruction. (more information)