At a Distance
Distance services for students, faculty or staff working remotely. University Libraries is here for you no matter where you are!
Your Library Card
- You will need a barcode number for the following University Libraries' services:
- creating an Interlibrary Loan account to get materials we don’t have or to make a Scan and Deliver request to get articles and book chapters from our collections
- using PASCAL Delivers to have books from other academic libraries in the state delivered to a participating library
- loading PDFs of articles from Quick Search results
- Get a CarolinaCard by visiting the CarolinaCard office. You can upload a photo.
- Students who don’t come to campus for classes can get a barcoded library card from Distributed Learning Support Services. Order your USC Library ID.
- To be able to check out books when you visit a library on the Columbia campus or any participating PASCAL academic library in the state you’ll need to show the barcode from either your CarolinaCard or Distributed Learning’s card.
- When accessing article databases, ejournals, and ebooks from off-campus or the wireless network you'll be prompted to enter your USC network username and password, which is the same as your Blackboard username and password. If you have problems, click here for troubleshooting tips.
- Are you out of the country and having trouble connecting to our resources? Many vendors require that we block access originating from outside of the United States. Try installing Juniper VPN [Virtual Private Network] http://uts.sc.edu/network/vpn.shtml. Using your USC Network username and password, students download the software at https://sslvpn.sc.edu/students/; faculty and staff can download the software at https://sslvpn.sc.edu/facstaff/. If you have problems downloading or installing the VPN client, contact the University Technology Services Desk at 803-777-1800, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Research Help
- Uncertain where to start your research? Take a look at our online subject and course guides. For personalized help, try Ask-a-Librarian via phone, chat, or e-mail.
Getting Materials Delivered
- Library materials can be delivered to your computer or home. Find out how easy it is to request materials we have and even materials we don't have. (more information)
- Driving directions to parking lot nearest Thomas Cooper Library
- Map links to all University Libraries
- Hours (when Thomas Cooper Library is open 24/7 you’ll need to have a CarolinaCard to enter or stay in the building during late night hours)
- Thomas Cooper Virtual Library Tour
- Lockers are available in Thomas Cooper Library to stow your stuff if you want to take a break from the library. Check out a key from Circulation using your CarolinaCard.
- Find out how the library can help you and your students with e-reserves, online course guides, and library instruction. (more information)