Endowments and Funds
To Build and Preserve
No element is more critical to a university than its libraries--providing, as they do, the essential raw materials for scholarship. As the University Libraries continue their outstanding growth, additional funds are needed to strengthen existing endowments as well as to support the acquisition of new collections, to preserve current holdings, and to provide increased electronic resources. A gift to a library fund or endowment is a gift to the entire University and to the community as a whole. To provide permanent recognition of particularly generous gifts, Naming Opportunities are also available.
For additional information regarding Library funds and endowments, please contact us.
- John Shaw Billings Library Endowment
For major acquisitions of long-range significance.
- Alec H. Chaplin Library Endowment
Provides funds for the University Libraries.
- Arthur Elliott Holman, Jr., Acquisition and Preservation Endowment
For the purchase and preservation of materials related to the Episcopal Church, music and the arts, Anderson County, and other aspects of South Carolina history.
- Arthur E. Holman, Jr. Conservation Laboratory Endowment Fund
Provides support for the ongoing operation of the conservation laboratory.
- The Center for Civil Rights History & Research Fund
Provides support for a collaboration between University Libraries and the College of Arts & Sciences which seeks to bring our vibrant civil rights history to life in order to inspire an informed dialogue on today’s social justice issues.
- Katharine Otis and Bruce Oswald Hunt Biography Collection Endowment
To purchase biographical materials for Thomas Cooper Library general collections, South Caroliniana Library, the Irvin Department or Rare Books and Special Collections, and Moving Image Resource Collections.
- Library Archive and Research Fund
To support research and preservation at the Thomas Cooper and South Caroliniana Libraries.
- The Libraries Digital Collections Fund
Provides for student support, equipment, supplies, and related needs for digitization of materials from all Libraries’ collections
- NEH Grant Endowment
To support the acquisition and preservation of humanities materials and to encourage research in this area.
- John N. Olsgaard Library Renovation Endowment Fund
Provides for the maintenance and enhancement of the University Libraries' buildings.
- Robert I. and Swannanoa Kenney Phillips Libraries Endowment
To enhance the University Libraries' holdings in British and American literature and culture.
- Nancy Pope Rice and Nancy Rice Davis Library Treasure Endowment
For special and significant acquisitions in a timely fashion for the University Libraries.
- Donna I. Sorensen Endowment Fund for Southern Women in the Arts
Supports library acquisitions pertaining to Southern women in the arts.
- War Years Library Acquisition Endowment Fund
For materials related to World War II.
- Chester A. and Holly R. Wingate Endowment Fund
Provides unrestricted support for the University Libraries
- Everette H. Newman Business Library Endowment
Supports the Business Library through acquisition of business reference sources and increased electronic access.
- The Wells Fargo Business Library Endowment Fund
Provides funds for continuing subscriptions to key electronic business resources.
- Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library Fund
Provides support for the unrestricted needs of the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library, the home of South Carolina Political Collections, the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, and Digital Collections.
- The Jean and Jim Barrow Endowment for Special Collections Fund
- Gerald C. Bauknight Library Endowment Fund
Provides for holdings related to U. S. foreign policy, including world events from the late 19th century to the present through acquisitions, preservation and maintenance, as well as support for electronic and print publications promoting the collection.
- Ethelind Pope Brown Natural History Library Endowment
For the preservation and acquisition of materials pertaining to natural history.
- Matthew J. and Arlyn Bruccoli Special Collections Acquisitions Fund at Thomas Cooper Library
Provides support for acquisitions that ehance the Bruccoli collections and/or areas of interest.
- Class of 1956 Rare Books Library Endowment To provide financial support for Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Barbara L. and David M. Graham Acquisition Endowment
Used for preservation and acquisitions that will benefit the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Edward S. Hallman American Literature Endowment
Provides for the acquisition of American Literature to support and enhance the holdings of the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Irvin Department Preservation Fund
Supports preservation or conservation work to support materials.
- Irvin Department Student Assistant Fund
Provides for student assistantships.
- C. Warren Irvin, Jr. and Josephine B. Irvin Endowment Fund
For the acquisition and preservation of materials related to the life and works of Charles Darwin.
- K.D. Kennedy, Jr. Robert Burns Library Endowment
To provide support for the Roy Collections of Burns, Burnsiana, and Scottish Poetry.
- Maners Pappas Library Endowment Fund
Provides for initiatives to digitize, or make available electronically, materials in the Irvin Department’s collections.
- Yvonne and Schuyler Moore Acquisitions Endowment Fund
Supports the collections of printed and manuscript items and realia relating to the lives and work of fiction writers in the genre of, and with emphasis on, Tennessee Williams, Edgar Allen Poe, the Bronte sisters, Herman Wouk, and Maurice Sendak.
- Mary Elizabeth Newton Rare Books and Special Collections Endowment Fund
Provides for the Irvin Department, with an emphasis on French, history, and music, with support for collections through acquisitions, preservation and maintenance, publications and programs.
- Jerome J. and A. Kay Platt Endowment Fund for British Medallic Art, Science and History
- Provides support for acquisition, outreach activities, and research related to British historical medals.
- Davy-Jo Ridge Library Fund
Supports the acquisition, preservation, and display of materials on the natural history of the Americas, with emphasis on the life and works of John James Audubon.
- Robinson Family Children’s Literature Library Endowment Fund
Provides support for the Department’s children’s and young adult literature collection, including the acquisition and preservation of materials, as well as promotion and programming, including a lectureship.
- The G. Ross Roy and Lucie C. Roy Scottish Literature Fund
Supports the use, development, preservation, and recognition of the G. Ross Roy Collection of Burnsiana & Scottish Literature.
- The W. Ormiston Roy Memorial Fellowship Fund
- Supports a research fellow for study of the G. Ross Roy Collection of Burnsiana & Scottish Literature.
- Studies in Scottish Literature Fund
Provides support for the printing costs, publicitiy, and other direct production costs to support the print version of Studies in Scottish Literature (“Journal”)
- George D. Terry Library Building Fund
To support the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Travel/Research Fund for Studies in the History of Natural History
Founded to strengthen the study of natural history at the University of South Carolina and to foster understanding and awareness of the natural history collections in the University's Libraries
- University Libraries Treasure Acquisitions Program Fund (TAP)
Provides timely support when opportunities occur to acquire significant materials that will enhance the Libraries' Special Collections holdings.
- Fox Movietone News Fund
Supports the digitization of this national treasure to ensure increased access to the collection.
- Moving Image Research Collections Endowment
Funds used for the preservation, organization, and care of its film collections.
- The U.S. Marine Corps Film Fund
Supports the preservation of the moving image history of the United States Marine Corps and related research and public programming opportunities
- The J. K. Adams Fund for French Music
This fund provides for the acquisition, preservation, and programming of French music.
- James B. Meriwether Music Library Endowment
Provides support for the Arturo Toscanini Collection and related collections through new acquisitions, conservation, publications, and programming.
- The Music Library Fund
Provides unrestricted support of the Music Library.
- Digital Sheet Music Collection Fund
Provides support for the maintenance and expansion of an online database that catalogs and showcases the sheet music from the Music Library's collections.
- Dorothy K. Payne Music Library Endowment
Provides funds for the Music Library through acquisitions and preservation of materials and support of programs.
- Class of 1956 Donald S. Russell Lectureship for South Carolina Political Collections
Provides financial support for a guest lecturer to speak on topics relevant to the holdings of the South Carolina Political Collections.
- William Jennings Bryan Dorn Endowment for South Carolina Political Collections
Supports expensive preservation work on the Dorn Collection, a research awards program, and graduate assistantships in South Carolina Political Collections and other related projects.
- Flynn T. Harrell Collection on the Separation of Church and State Endowment Fund
Provides support for the acquisition, processing, preservation of, and research in collections specifically related to religious liberty and its corollary, the separation of church and state.
- South Carolina Bankers Association/Lloyd I. Hendricks South Carolina Political Collections Endowment Fund
Provides support for students working with materials documenting the financial services sector and government’s impact on that and related sectors.
- Donald H. Holland Endowment Fund to Support South Carolina Political Collections
Provides support for programs of the collection and the Donald H. Holland collection.
- Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library Fund
Supports the activities of the Ernest F. Hollings Library for Political Research and Policy Study, and supports and promotes the Ernest F. Hollings Collection of the South Carolina Political Collections.
- Sarah Leverette League of Women Voters Endowment Fund
Provides support for the archive of the League of Women Voters of South Carolina and the papers of League leaders, and encourages the study and use of these collections.
- The Schuyler L. and Dr. Yvonne R. Moore Endowment to Support South Carolina Political Collections
Supports the training and education of archivists through internships, assistantships and post-graduate employment.
- Republican Endowment to Support South Carolina Political Collections
Supports collections with Republican holdings by helping fund student assistants to process these holdings and also outreach efforts to encourage research on Party history and its leaders and members.
- South Carolina Political Collections Development Fund
Supports staff attendance at meetings of historians, archivists, educators and others, and promotes the division as a national leader among legislative repositories.
- South Carolina Political Collections Endowment
Supports the work of South Carolina Political Collections unit in general, funding graduate assistantships and supporting activities that promote the division and enhance its collections.
- John C. West Endowment Fund
Supports South Carolina Political Collections, including funding assistantships, preservation projects, and outreach efforts.
- Robert and May Ackerman Library Fund
Provides for the acquisition of materials to benefit the South Caroliniana Library, including manuscripts, printed materials, and visual images.
- Elizabeth Boatwright Coker Graduate Assistant at South Caroliniana Library
For the advancement of graduate student training in the Public History Program, in conjunction with the South Caroliniana Library.
- Deward B. and Sloan H. Brittain Endowment
Provides for the acquisition of manuscript and published material, the preservation of the collection, and internships and assistantships.
- Orin F. Crow South Caroliniana Library Endowment
For the purchase and preservation of materials related to South Carolina.
- Jane Crayton Davis Preservation Endowment for South Caroliniana Library
To restore the unique holdings of the South Caroliniana Library.
- William Foran Memorial Fund
For the purchase of materials related to the Civil War and Reconstruction.
- Edwin Haselden Cooper Director’s Fund
Provides funds to be expended at the Director’s discretion for greatest needs.
- Rebecca R. Hollingsworth South Caroliniana Library Endowment Fund
Supports the acquisition of daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, ferrotypes and albumen prints for the Visual Materials Division and processing, cataloging, digitizing, exhibiting, outreach, conservation, and hiring student assistants to work with these efforts.
- John C Hungerpiller Library Research Fund
This fund is used for expenses to conduct research and preserve the papers of Mr. Hungerpiller and for acquisition of materials for South Caroliniana Library.
- Lewis P. Jones Research Fellowship in South Carolina History
To support summer fellowships for research in South Carolina history.
- J.A. Kay South Caroliniana Library Intern Endowment Fund
Provides for internship(s) for graduate or undergraduate students to work with rare and unique research materials and learn conservation techniques and other library skills.
- The Lumpkin Foyer Endowment Fund at the South Caroliniana Library
Provides support for enhancement and maintenance of the Lumpkin Foyer as well as unrestricted support for the Library.
- Governor Thomas Gordon McLeod and First Lady Elizabeth Alford McLeod Research Fellowship Endowment
Provides support for research at South Caroliniana Library to encourage the study of post-Civil War politics, government, and society, with an emphasis on South Carolina history.
- William Davis Melton University Archives Graduate Assistantship at the South Caroliniana Library
Provides support for a graduate assistant in the University Archives Department at the South Caroliniana Library.
- Robert L. and Margaret B. Meriwether South Caroliniana Library Fund
Supports the Library in memory of founding director, Robert L. Meriwether, and his wife and colleague, Margaret B. Meriwether.
- John Hammond Moore Library Acquisitions and Conservation Fund
Provides support for the acquisition of new materials and conservation of existing holdings at South Caroliniana Library.
- Hemrick N. Salley Family Endowment Fund
Provides support for the care and preservation of the Library.
- The Lanny and Sidney Palmer Endowment Fund at the South Caroliniana
Provides support for the Lanny and Sidney Palmer Cultural Arts Collection and related collections. Funds can be used for processing, preservation, programming, and publications as well as for materials and staff to support increased use of and access to the collections.
- John Govan Simms Memorial Endowment to Support William Gilmore Simms Collections
Provides support for the Library to maintain its pre-eminent position as the leading and most extensive repository of original source materials for research, analysis, and study of William Gilmore Simms and his position as the leading man of letters in the ante-bellum South.
- William Gilmore Simms Visiting Research Professor Endowment
To support scholarship based on the publications and manuscripts by Simms held in the South Caroliniana Library.
- Ellison Durant Smith Research Award for the South Caroliniana Library
Provides annual research awards for scholars seeking to conduct research at the South Caroliniana Library on government, politics, and society since 1900.
- South Caroliniana Library Alcove Endowment
Provides for the renovation and maintenance of the Library.
- South Caroliniana Library Fund
Provides resources for the Library in the areas of greatest need.
- South Caroliniana Library Oral History Fund Endowment
Supports the activities and programs of the Oral History Program, including equipment, supplies, staff, student training, and publications as administered by the South Caroliniana Library.
- South Caroliniana Library Portrait Conservation Endowment
Provides support for the maintenance and conservation of the Library's portrait collection, including portraits of individuals who helped shape the history of our state.
- South Caroliniana Library Renovation Fund
Provides for the renovation of the Library.
- Southern Heritage Endowment
To support scholarship and protect materials related to Southern history and culture (in conjunction with the McKissick Museum).
- Allen Stokes Manuscript Development Fund
Provides for the acquisition of new materials and the preservation of existing materials housed in the Manuscripts Division of South Caroliniana Library.
- Louise Irwin Woods Fund
Provides for internships, fellowships, graduate assistantships, stipends, program support, preservation and/or acquisitions at the South Caroliniana Library.
- Charles and Donna Bricker Endowment
For general advancement and expansion of the Thomas Cooper Library.
- Class of 1958 Collaborative Learning Laboratory Fund
Provides for the renovation and continued support of the Cooper Technology Lounge at Thomas Cooper Library. The Lounge is the largest computer lab on campus and contains flexible learning spaces for students.
- Class of 2008 Fund
Supports the unrestricted needs of the Library. Gifts to the Fund will be transferred annually to the Library Fund.
- Class of 2009 Fund
Supports the unrestricted needs of the Library such as renovating spaces and acquiring materials.
- Class of 2010 Fund
Supports the unrestricted needs of the Library such as renovating library study spaces, acquiring electronic journals, and purchasing Smart Boards and laptop computers.
- Dr. Edwin E. Gordon Archive Fund
Supports the Edwin E. Gordon Archive and related materials and projects.
- Irene Borchardt Hawley Map Library Acquisitions Endowment at Thomas Cooper Library
Provides for the purchase of cartographic materials for the Map Library, Thomas Cooper Library.
- Lou and Beth Holtz Library Endowment for Undergraduate Resources at the Thomas Cooper Library
To provide for the addition of library materials and resources for undergraduate students and to encourage athletic and academic partnerships.
- Senior Class Legacy Fund
Provides for renovations of the Thomas Cooper Library.
- The Michael S. Smith and Carol A. Smith European History Library Fund
Created to enhance and enlarge the library's current holdings in European history.
- Thomas Cooper Library Fund
Provides discretionary funds for greatest needs.
- Thomas Cooper Library Science and Mathematics Journals Endowed Fund
Assists in offsetting the increasing costs of journals for the Thomas Cooper Library in the fields of science and mathematics.
- Thomas Cooper Society Endowment
To provide support for the Thomas Cooper Library.
- USC Literary Festival Endowment Fund
Provides for an annual literary Festival attended by prominent writers and conducted by the College of Liberal Arts, the English Department and the Thomas Cooper Library.
- Deloris and David Zeigler Library Endowment for Nursing
Provides for the acquisition of books and materials to enhance the Thomas Cooper Library’s Nursing collection.