Videos of past event Programs.
- South Carolina Political Collections' Oral Histories
- Herb Hartsook, SCPC Director, on the Oral History Interviewing Experience
- The Growing Importance of Oral History
These lists are not necessarily exhaustive.
At SCPC we keep vertical files of clippings and other materials relating to our donors, other politically-oriented individuals and groups, and subjects of interest. These files are available for the use of researchers as well as SCPC staff.
- Individuals and Subjects (PDF, 21 pages)
South Carolina Political Collections includes numerous large, complex collections that document myriad subjects, events, and people. The research guides below highlight issues that might be of interest to our patrons and represent only a small fraction of the topics a researcher could immerse themselves in at our repository.
- Civil Rights: desegregation and related events in South Carolina schools
- Civil Rights: a broad look at SCPC collections
- The Cold War (Part 1)
- The Cold War (Part 2)
- Equal Rights Amendment
- The Middle East
- State Education in South Carolina
- Women’s History
These articles appeared in Caroliniana Columns from 1997 to 2005, while SCPC was a department under the umbrella of the South Caroliniana Library (SCL). Columns is the semiannual newsletter of SCL and is published primarily for the benefit of members of the University South Caroliniana Society. Each issue provides updates on the Library's activities, recent acquisitions, and information about collections.
- Reception Honors Isadore E. Lourie By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Spring 1997 issue
- Reception Announces W.J.B. Dorn Endowment By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Fall 1998 issue
- Reception Celebrates Harriet Keyserling's Against the Tide By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Fall 1998 issue
- Compassionate Leadership: The Robert E. McNair Papers Project By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Spring 2000 issue
- Historic Marker Commemorates Governor John West's Boyhood Home By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Spring 2000 issue
- From Washington Offices to Archival Collections: The Papers of Mark Sanford and Richard W. Riley By Kate Moore. CC, Spring 2001 issue
- The Papers of Governors Donald S. Russell and Robert E. McNair By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Fall 2001 issue
- Documenting the Early Republican Party in South Carolina By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Fall 2001 issue
- Adding to the Record: Oral History at the South Caroliniana Library By Herbert J. Hartsook. CC, Fall 2002 issue
- Carolina Renaissance: Donald Russell and the Presidency of USC By Elizabeth West, University Archivist. CC, Spring 2003 issue
- Success Stories: Reflections of Former Student Assistants CC, Spring 2003 issue
- New Deal Meets Old South: The 1938 Democratic Senatorial Primary By John B. McLeod. CC, Spring 2004 issue
- Uncovering History in the Reading Room By Claudia Smith Brinson. CC, Fall 2004 issue
- Modern Political Collections receives Floyd Spence Collection By Dorothy Hazelrigg. CC, Fall 2004 issue
- Retired Senator Hollings Closes His Offices By Dorothy Hazelrigg. CC, Spring 2005 issue
- William Jennings Bryan Dorn: A Eulogy Delivered by USCS President and Dorn kinsman Steve Griffith at Dorn's Greenwood funeral service on August 18, 2005. CC, Fall 2005 issue
These articles, spanning 1994 to 1999, appeared in Ex Libris, the annual publication of the Division of Libraries and Information Systems of the University of South Carolina (1994 to 2000). The publication was devoted to showcasing the University's Library collections and presenting the activities of the Libraries' two support groups, the University South Caroliniana Society and the Thomas Cooper Society.
- Evolution of South Carolina Political Collections. Over the past fifteen years, South Carolina Political Collections has gained a national reputation for its collections and programs and is on its way to meeting the vision created for it at its founding in 1991.
- Reception and Book-Signing. Governor Robert E. McNair was feted on July 13, 2006, at an event hosted by University Libraries, South Carolina Political Collections,
- Groundbreaking ceremonies were held May 10, 2006, for the South Carolina Political Collections (SCPC) wing which is being added to the University of South Carolina's Thomas Cooper Library at the library.
- Political Past By Diana Blackwell. EL, 1994
- Decades of Change By Herbert J. Hartsook. EL, 1995
- John West: Elect a Good Man Governor By Herbert J. Hartsook. EL, 1996
- Library Societies Honor Senator Isadore Lourie By Herbert J. Hartsook. EL, 1996
- Performance is Better than Promise By Herbert J. Hartsook. EL, 1998-1999