League of Women Voters of South Carolina
Papers, 1919-2011, 43 ft.
The League of Women Voters of South Carolina was formed in 1951 from the three local leagues then existing in Charleston, Columbia, and Spartanburg. The League is a non-partisan organization that encourages citizens to learn about and become active in national, state, and local government.
Collection Finding Aid (pdf, 30 pages)
Papers of the League of Women Voters of South Carolina are arranged in the following series: Administrative, League of Women Voters of the United States, Local Leagues, Program Files, and Audiovisual materials. The bulk of the collection dates from 1951 to 1994.
Program Files is the largest series. These files relate to state and national study and/or action items, and reflect the League’s broad and diverse concerns. The files chiefly contain correspondence and reference material and are arranged in four sub-series: Federal Government, including information on such disparate subjects as the national budget, federal constitution, foreign policy, and United Nations; Human Resources, including material on housing, education, and the Equal Rights Amendment; Natural Resources, including records relating to coastal zone management and land use in Richland and Lexington Counties; and State Government, including files on apportionment, the state constitution, the judiciary, and voter services.