League of Women Voters of Columbia/Richland County
Papers, 1942-2005, 16 ft.
The League of Women Voters of Columbia/Richland County (S.C.) was organized as a provisional league in 1947, and recognized as a local league in 1950, one year after the recognition of the Charleston and Spartanburg leagues. These three local organizations formed the nucleus of the state League. The League is a non-partisan organization that encourages citizens to learn about and become active in national, state, and local government.
Collection Finding Aid (pdf, 15 pages)
The records are divided into three main series: Administrative, Program, and Clippings files. Program Files contain correspondence, reference, and other material on diverse local, state, and national program items. Among these are city-county consolidation and local development, chiefly relating to the Congaree Vista, the “River City” project, and Riverbanks Zoo. In the 1950s and 1960s, at the height of the Cold War, loyalty-security was a serious issue, and the League was involved in the Freedom Agenda Program, discussions about the proposed Bricker Amendment of 1953, and other issues related to national security and individual liberty. There is also a wealth of material from the League and ERA South Carolina concerning the drive to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment. This collection receives periodic additions.