The Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections maintains an active events schedule. In addition to our work with university classes, faculty, and students, we regularly:
- Welcome visiting groups and conferences to our library
- Organize off-campus events across the state and region related to our collections
- Speak with community groups and organizations at their own meetings throughout the state
- Occasionally lend materials for exhibition to museums and special collections libraries
If your organization or community group would like to visit our library for a tour of our current exhibition, to meet with our faculty and staff, and to explore our collections, please contact us and we will try to accomodate you.
Some of our recent outreach activities include:
- Hosting a joint conference of the Southern Jewish Historical Society and the Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina, October 2011
- Cosponsoring and hosting the university's Fall Literary Festival, with readings and master classes by Maggie Dietz, Junot Diaz, and David Gessner
- Speaking at the monthly meeting of the Columbia Women's Club
- Hosting a visiting senior English class from Cathedral Academy, Charleston SC
- Mounting a loan exhibition for the 400th Anniversary of the King James Bible at the USC Beaufort Library, Fall 2011
- Loaning several highlights from the Joel Myerson Collection of Nineteenth Century American Literature to the Concord, Mass. Public Library for an exhibition on "Collecting Transcendentalism," Fall 2011
- Loaning Zelda Fitzgerald items to the Evergreen Museum and Library at Johns Hopkins University for an exhibition on Zelda Fitzgerald.
- Mounting an exhibition on American landscape books at the Columbia Museum of Art, Fall 2011, along with sponsored gallery talks
- Mounting an exhibition, "Southern Naturalists in Perspective," at the Old Salem Historical Site, Winston-Salem NC, Fall 2011
Some previous outreach activities include:
- Exhibition tours for several church groups, and a public lecture, for our Summer 2011 exhibition "The English Bible: An Exhibition for the 400th Anniversary of the King James Bible"
- Contributing images of David Hume to "The Art of Enlightenment," at the National Museum of China (Apr. 2011-Apr. 2012), organized by the State Museums of Berlin, Dresden, and Munich
- The loan of several John Abbot watercolors of lepidoptera to the Telfair Museum of Art, Savannah GA, for a recent John Abbot retrospective (Feb.- April 2011)
- The loan of Joseph Heller books and manuscript material to Roger Williams University, Providence RI, for a major Catch-22 Anniversary exhibition (Jan.-May 2011)
- A loan exhibition and talk at the Winston Churchill Society's Annual International Meeting, Charleston SC, March 2011
- Mounting a loan exhibition on Robert Burns for the USC Salkehatchie Library's Burns Day celebrations, January 2011
- A loan exhibition, "Emily Dickinson and Contemporary Fine Printing," at the Columbia Museum of Art (October 2010-Jan. 2011) with a related program for the Friends of the Columbia Museum of Art on contemporary book arts and fine printing
- Mounting an exhibition and lecture on Mark Catesby and Audubon's Birds of America at Kiawah Island SC, sponsored by the Thomas Cooper Society
- Mounting a temporary travelling exhibition of medieval manuscripts and lectures at USC Aiken, USC Beaufort, and USC Upstate
- Mounting a loan exhibition, "Southern Naturalists in Context," at the USC Lancaster Library and at the Upcountry History Museum in Greenville, SC
For more information about these and other activities, or to inquire about visits, please contact Michael Weisenburg, the Irvin Department Reference and Instruction Librarian, at 803-777-2721.