Browse by Material Type
Browse by Library
- Government Information and Maps
- Irvin Department of Rare Books & Special Collections
- Map Library
- Moving Image Research Collections
- Music Library
- South Carolina Political Collections
- South Caroliniana Library - Manuscripts
- South Caroliniana Library - Published Materials
- South Caroliniana Library - Visual Materials
- University Archives
- USC Aiken Library
- USC Beaufort Library
- USC Lancaster Library
Browse by Topic
Alphabet Rendered Instructive and Entertaining
This beautifully illustrated alphabet book, published in 1775, is an excellent example of early children’s literature from the eighteenth century. Produced by copperplate engraving, the book originally sold plain at 9d. (9 pence) or hand-colored at 1s6d (1 shilling, 6 pence). Published by William Tringham of London, this copy was probably sold plain and colored later. The reproduction method, which was relatively expensive at the time, was also used by the great late eighteenth-century children’s publisher John Newberry. The book consists of 26 plates, each representing a letter of the alphabet accompanied by an illustration and a verse. Lessons provided by each verse combine instruction of both an orthographical and a moral nature.
Carolina Bands Collection, 1914 - 1984
The online Carolina Bands Collection is a portion of the larger collection given to the University of South Carolina by two previous band directors: James Pritchard Sr. and James K. Copenhaver, and includes sheet music, audio files, drill charts, and album covers. The audio clips are at times coupled with the sheet music, so that one can read and listen to the music. The collection presents a unique view of the history of bands at the University of South Carolina from 1914 until the present. Hopefully, the entire Carolina Bands Collection, comprised of hundreds of letters, pages of drill, photographs, football programs, and newspaper clippings, will be available online one day.
Carolina Students' Handbook
The Carolina Student’s Handbook offers a glimpse of the campus culture at the University of South Carolina from the 1920s through the 1940s. Published annually by the University’s YMCA and YWCA chapters, it was primarily aimed at freshman, and included information on the honor code, campus traditions, songs, organizations, athletics, and more. The handbook also urged students to shop at the local businesses that advertised in the handbook.
Catalogue of the Library of the South Carolina College
A facsimile of the 1836 catalogue to the University of South Carolina's remarkable library, especially valuable as the only guide to the antebellum books arranged by subject rather than format or author. This books is freely available online, but may also be purchased through the USC Press' AccessAble Book Program.
E. Don Herd Photograph Collection
E. Don Herd created these negatives while a student at Belton High School, Belton, S.C. and a few later while at Erskine College. Subjects include Belton and Easley high schools athletic teams, clubs, class officers, and homecoming. Community life is also exhibited through negatives of the Belton City Council, businesses, churches, weddings, reunions, portraits, Christmas parades, Scout troops, and a trip to Cuba.
E.E. Burson Photograph Collection
E. E. Burson worked as a photographer in Denmark, South Carolina, and the surrounding areas of Bamberg County approximately between the years of 1905 and 1920. Burson not only worked in his Denmark studio, but he also photographed town scenes and nearby Voorhees College. Burson’s work is notable because he captured images of both white and African-American townspeople.
Equality of Educational Opportunity Report
This report was submitted in response to Section 402 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It can now be read, searched and chapters may be printed out online.
Garnet and Black Yearbooks
The USC Garnet and Black Yearbooks are currently being scanned and will be made available from this site as they are done. Each yearbook is searchable and browsable by section. The first available years are 1956, 1957, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1975. Eventually, we hope to have 1899 - 1994 scanned. The school stopped creating the yearbook and went to a magazine format in 1994.
Harbison Agricultural College Photograph Collection
This collection of 113 photographs, also available through the original photo album, represents Harbison Agricultural College, which began in 1885 when the Rev. Emory W. Williams of Washington, D.C. founded a school to educate young African Americans. In 1899, Samuel Harbison of Pennsylvania and a Board member, donated 20 acres of land. The school relocated to the expanded 87 acres in 1901 and was renamed Harbison College in his honor.
History of Education in America
This collection of textbooks and printed works on nineteenth century American education had its impetus in a request from our colleague, Professor Susan Schramm-Pate, of the College of Education here at the University of South Carolina. She was interested in supplementing the core group of texts for her doctoral seminar “Curriculum Classics: Trends and Issues” (EDCS 822). The initial group of selected works from the nineteenth century were either printed in the South for a Southern audience, or are the texts of speeches and remarks concerning the state of Southern schools and education. The materials have been drawn from the collections of both the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections (including the William Savage Textbook Collection) and the South Caroliniana Library. None of these works have been freely available online until now. We hope that this online collection will form the basis of a larger site of nineteenth- and twentieth-century works on the history of American education with a focus on the South.
John Hensel (1919-1999) Photograph Collection
A native of Kenton, Ohio, John LeRoy Hensel came to Columbia during World War II, upon being stationed at the Columbia Army Air Base as a bomber pilot instructor. Following his return to Columbia in 1946, Hensel opened a photography business in which he extensively photographed children for grade school pictures and many historic people and places throughout the city. This collection contains a series of his photographs from 1949 to 1951.
John Kenneth Adams Scrapbook
This scrapbook contains recital and concert programs, playbills, clippings, photographs, awards and certificates collected throughout John Kenneth Adams' career as a performer and teacher.
Richard L. Walker In His Own Words
Dixie Walker dedicated his life and career to intercultural understanding and he utilized his knowledge of East Asia in his work at home and abroad. He taught in numerous prestigious institutions as a professor of international studies before joining the faculty of the University of South Carolina in 1957. He founded the Institute of International Studies at USC in 1961
South Carolina Pamphlets
The South Carolina pamphlet collection is comprised of 45 artificially bound volumes of separately published South Carolina imprints from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
University of South Carolina Aiken Photograph Collection, 1961 - 2011
The University of South Carolina Aiken Photograph Collection, 1961-2011 contains a selection of images showcasing the last 50 years of USCA. The five main collections are Campus, Students, Faculty, Athletics and Chancellors.
University of South Carolina Football Program Covers
The University of South Carolina Football Program Covers showcases the unique artwork created to support and promote Gamecock football. The collection contains program covers ranging from 1923 to present. Football first came to Carolina in 1892 when a team played against Furman on Christmas Eve in Charleston, however, the football team was not sanctioned by the University and had to support themselves financially. In 1906, the Board of Trustees banned the football team from competition, because of the rude chants that filled the air games. By 1907, the Board was so harrassed by fans, alumni, and students to reinstate the sport that they relented, and Carolina fans have enjoyed a strong football program ever since.
University of South Carolina Reconstruction Records
In 1873, the University of South Carolina became the only state-supported Southern university to fully integrate during the Reconstruction Era that followed the Civil War. By 1876, the student body was predominately African-American. After Wade Hampton was elected governor and whites regained control of state government, the University was closed for reorganization in 1877, and reopened in 1880 as an all-white institution. It would remain all-white until desegregation in 1963.
University of South Carolina Student Exams, 1854 - 1917
These student examinations date largely from the second half of the 19th century, a period in which the University of South Carolina underwent significant changes not only in its curriculum but also in its student body, its faculty and its educational goals. The exams in this collection that date prior to 1873 reflect the South Carolina College's original incarnation as a classical institution. This purpose continued even during the American Civil War (1861 - 1865), although the small number of documents from that time demonstrate the impact that the conflict had on students, faculty and the institution itself. Exams from the Reconstruction period following the war (1873 - 1877) demonstrate a shift away from the classical and towards the practical as the university was integrated for the first time. Of particular interest are those exams which appear to be the work of African Americans, since these documents represent some of the few surviving records of these students and their important place in the university's history.
USC Buildings and Grounds Photographs
The University of South Carolina was originally established as the South Carolina College in 1801. When the college opened in 1805, it had one building, two professors, and nine students. By 1860, the campus had developed into what is now called the Horseshoe, plus Longstreet Theatre. The campus remained limited to these nineteenth-century buildings in the Horseshoe area until 1909. The construction of Davis College that year began the continuing process of expanding and redeveloping the campus to meet the changing needs of the state's flagship university. This evolution of the University's physical structures is documented in these images, which are drawn from the collections of the University Archives.