Search for keyword or phrase:
Browse by Topic:
Browse by Department:
Browse by Material Types:
Broadsides from the Colonial Era to the Present
Now, broadsides (posters, one page fliers, advertisements and other types of ephemera) from across many different South Caroliniana Library manuscript collections can be searched, viewed, read, and compared. The dates range from the 1700s to the present, and items will continue to be added to this collection.
Columbia, SC Historical Collections
This is a compilation of numerous digital collections from the South Caroliniana Library, Richland Library, and the city of Columbia that capture the city's history in photographs, maps, books, and city minutes.
Diamond Fields of South Africa
In the Early 1870s, one of the greatest diamond rushes began in South Africa after the discovery of a valuable diamond on the Orange River. This collection consists of five items that represent some of the earliest publications describing the diamond fields of South Africa. Published between 1870 and 1917, this collection of monographs, essays, and pamphlets reflect the excitement generated by one of the greatest mineral discoveries of the late 19th century.
E.T. Start Collection
E. T. Start of New York State moved to Camden, South Carolina in 1903, as the photographer at the Kirkwood Hotel. Photographing the Winter Colony and local scenes, he spent time in Camden until c. 1945. This collection of 200 photographs includes images of people, animals, and houses in Camden, S.C., in particular horse-drawn vehicles, horseback riding, polo, the house "Bohemia," and much more.
Fritz Hollings: In His Own Words
Fritz Hollings: In His Own Words is a collection of Senator Hollings’ writings, speeches, photographs, and audio files from his days as Lt. Governor, Governor, and U.S. Senator. 200 items showcase the compelling intellect, keen wit, and, at times, sharp tongue that Senator Hollings was known for in South Carolina and on Capitol Hill.
George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection, c. 1880 - 1895
This collection of glass plate negatives of Charleston and Summerville was made by George LaGrange Cook in the 1880s and early 1890s. The son of the famous Civil War photographer, George Smith Cook, LaGrange learned the art of photography from his father. He lived in Charleston and then Summerville before leaving around 1892 to join his father in Richmond, Virginia.
Gregg Graniteville Photographic Archives
This photograph collection is a small portion of USC Aiken's historical Gregg-Graniteville Archive of documents and memorabilia of the Graniteville Company, a major Southern textile manufacturing firm founded in 1845 by William Gregg. The archive represents the only collection in existence devoted to William Gregg and the Graniteville Company. It was developed over the years by the executives of the company at its main office in the village of Graniteville.
Historic Newspapers of South Carolina
The Historic Newspapers of South Carolina repository provides online access to fulltext searchable historic newpspapers originating in South Carolina since it became a state in 1788. This online collection is a continuation and extension of the South Carolina Digital Newspaper Program (SCDNP) that began in 2009 as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program (www.loc.gov/ndnp/). The University of South Carolina is one of many institutions that participated in the program as part of a national effort to preserve America's historical newspapers. This site seeks to continue what that program began by continuing to digitize and make accessible as many historical newspapers originating in South Carolina as we can find.
James Glen Papers, 1738 - 1777
The papers of colonial governor James Glen (1701-1777), who served as Governor of South Carolina from 1738 to 1756, include official government documents, papers concerning relations with Native American Indians, business papers relating to his ownership of a South Carolina rice plantation, and correspondence between Glen and South Carolina planter, John Drayton (1713-1779).
John Hensel (1919-1999) Photograph Collection
A native of Kenton, Ohio, John LeRoy Hensel came to Columbia during World War II, upon being stationed at the Columbia Army Air Base as a bomber pilot instructor. Following his return to Columbia in 1946, Hensel opened a photography business in which he extensively photographed children for grade school pictures and many historic people and places throughout the city. This collection contains a series of his photographs from 1949 to 1951.
Joseph Winter Photograph Collection
In his capacity as the director of Columbia’s Urban Rehabilitation Commission between the years 1965 and 1980, Joseph E. Winter (1920–1992) played an integral role in Columbia’s development. While eradicating slums and other substandard housing, he also worked to improve the quality of life for Columbia’s residents by ensuring them adequate housing and sanitation. His agency’s work can also be credited with the preservation and restoration of some of Columbia’s most historic neighborhoods and landmarks, including Ainsley Hall and the Hampton-Preston Mansion.
Kenneth Frederick Marsh Photograph Collection
Many of the over 700 photographs by Kenneth Frederick Marsh (d. 1968) available in this collection have not been published. Some were used to illustrate books by photographer Marsh and his wife, Blanche Marsh. The photographs and negatives depict historic and modern homes, public buildings, textile mills, churches, and scenes of South Carolina and Flat Rock, N.C.
Maxcy Gregg Papers, 1835-1888
Maxcy Gregg's Sporting Journal (1839-1860) describes hunting and fishing expeditions, a record of game animals taken, weather conditions and Fisher's Pond. Other entries discuss a trip to the mountains (17 July - 12 August 1843), attending "the Washingtonian lecture" in Winnsboro, South Carolina, a mention of David Johnson (1782-1855), who served as governor of South Carolina, 1846-1848, and unsuccessful efforts to convince William Waters Boyce to assume editorial duties at the South Carolinian (a newspaper of Columbia, South Carolina).
The Menu Project is the beginning of a community wide effort to record the contemporary culinary history of the Southeast, in particular that of South Carolina. This collection has been created from donations of menus from local citizens and will continue to grow over the years. While the majority of the menus come from the southeast, there are some that come from other parts of the country creating an interesting contrast between the cuisines offered in the southeast as opposed to other areas of the country. This is the beginning of an extensive digital collection of menus that will record food history and culture for future generations.
New South Newspaper, 1862 - 1866
Union postmaster Joseph H. Sears published the New South newspaper out of the post office building on Union Square in Port Royal, S.C., on a weekly basis beginning in March 1862. The paper was moved to the town of Beaufort sometime in 1865 and remained there until it ceased in 1867. The New South offers a glimpse into an era of unprecedented social upheaval in the South Carolina Lowcountry. The 64 issues available online are fully searchable and readable with the use of the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Phosphates in South Carolina, 1870 - 1890
During the late 19th century the discovery of phosphate deposits in the Charleston and Florence areas marked the beginning of a rapidly growing industry in South Carolina. Phosphates are rocks formed from the fossilized remains of sea creatures found in areas once covered by oceans. In South Carolina, phosphates were used as fertilizers to extend the life of crops. Freedmen flocked toward the industry seeking employment, and with the financial support of Northern financiers, Carolina farmers began production of this highly sought-after material.
Primary Sources for K-12 , Pilot Project
In collaboration with a pilot group of South Carolina teachers, USC Libraries has made these primary resources available online. We want to build on this effort. Please let us know what you think.
South Carolina Pamphlets
The South Carolina pamphlet collection is comprised of 45 artificially bound volumes of separately published South Carolina imprints from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
South Carolina Railroads Photograph Collection
The South Caroliniana Library has been collecting photographs of train stations, depots, rail yards, engines, and rolling stock for many years. The images come in as single items, as part of other collections, or as collections of their own. There are also photographs of railways used by the mining and lumber industries. Presented here are photographs pulled from different sources to provide the researcher with a virtual collection of South Carolina railway related photographs.
Thomas and Muller Family Papers
The Thomas Family and Muller Family papers along with related personal collections housed at the South Caroliniana Library at the University of South Carolina total approximately 32 linear feet. There are an additional 219 volumes of business ledgers from the Sandy Run Store and Thomas Store (Ridgeway, S.C.). All of these materials span 1702 through 1993.
This collection contains USDA Periodicals titled, The Cotton Situation (1947-1948), The Farm Income Situation (1946-1955), The Fruit Situation (1946-1949), The Marketing and Transportation Situation (1947-1948), and The Market Reporter (1920-1921).
William Ancrum Papers, 1757-1789
Formerly owned by wealthy Charleston merchant William Ancrum, this volume contains both a letter book and financial accounts that reflect the financial impact of the American Revolution on this South Carolina businessman and planter.