Search for keyword or phrase:
Browse by Topic:
Browse by Department:
Browse by Material Types:
Beulah Glover Photograph Collection
In about 1937 Miss Beulah Glover (17 Aug. 1887 ï¿½ 4 Jan. 1991) opened a photography studio in Walterboro, S.C. Being also an historian, Miss Glover shot many historical scenes in the Lowcountry. She converted some of these images to postcards and sold them in her studio, Foto-Nook. She also used images to illustrate her many articles and books on the history of Colleton County. Miss Glover worked also as photo-journalist, selling her images to the Walterboro newspaper. This small sampling of images by Miss Glover includes prints and negatives and covers the years 1941 to 1952.
Charleston Earthquake, 1886
On August 31, 1886, Charleston and surrounding towns suffered extensive damage from the largest earthquake to ever hit the southeast. The photographs in this collection show the aftermath of the earthquake shortly after it occurred. George LaGrange Cook, a prominent Charleston photographer created the series "Cook's Earthquake Views of Charleston and Vicinity" which featured a total of 200 photographs that could be purchased as souvenirs. A portion of this series, along with earthquake photographs from photographers William Wilson, W.H. Fairchild, J.H. Wisser, and Joseph Hall are featured here. Also, reports, maps, and geological surveys conducted by The U.S. Department of the Interior and The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commisson published in 1888, 1977, 1983, 1986, and 1991 are contained within the collection.
Columbia, SC Historical Collections
This is a compilation of numerous digital collections from the South Caroliniana Library, Richland Library, and the city of Columbia that capture the city's history in photographs, maps, books, and city minutes.
E.T. Start Collection
E. T. Start of New York State moved to Camden, South Carolina in 1903, as the photographer at the Kirkwood Hotel. Photographing the Winter Colony and local scenes, he spent time in Camden until c. 1945. This collection of 200 photographs includes images of people, animals, and houses in Camden, S.C., in particular horse-drawn vehicles, horseback riding, polo, the house "Bohemia," and much more.
George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection, c. 1880 - 1895
This collection of glass plate negatives of Charleston and Summerville was made by George LaGrange Cook in the 1880s and early 1890s. The son of the famous Civil War photographer, George Smith Cook, LaGrange learned the art of photography from his father. He lived in Charleston and then Summerville before leaving around 1892 to join his father in Richmond, Virginia.
Historic Newspapers of South Carolina
The Historic Newspapers of South Carolina repository provides online access to fulltext searchable historic newpspapers originating in South Carolina since it became a state in 1788. This online collection is a continuation and extension of the South Carolina Digital Newspaper Program (SCDNP) that began in 2009 as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program (www.loc.gov/ndnp/). The University of South Carolina is one of many institutions that participated in the program as part of a national effort to preserve America's historical newspapers. This site seeks to continue what that program began by continuing to digitize and make accessible as many historical newspapers originating in South Carolina as we can find.
James Kershaw Papers, 1786 - 1825
This collection contains diaries of James Kershaw, 1791-1825, with meteorological observations, recipes, and home remedies, including advice for treatment of pimples, boils, baldness, and unwanted hair. The papers record observations, 17 September 1811, of a solar eclipse, accounts of debts paid, January-April 1812, including prices of cotton, molasses, and sugar, and typed abstracts of recipes, 1936, copied from the diaries.
John Hensel (1919-1999) Photograph Collection
A native of Kenton, Ohio, John LeRoy Hensel came to Columbia during World War II, upon being stationed at the Columbia Army Air Base as a bomber pilot instructor. Following his return to Columbia in 1946, Hensel opened a photography business in which he extensively photographed children for grade school pictures and many historic people and places throughout the city. This collection contains a series of his photographs from 1949 to 1951.
John Shaw Billings Photograph Albums, 1875-1939
The series of photograph albums document the time that John Shaw Billings (1898-1975) and his extended family spent at the Redcliffe plantation in Aiken County, South Carolina. Known for his position as the first managing editor of Life Magazine, Billings purchased Redcliffe in 1935 from his uncle Henry Cumming Hammond (1868-1961) for $15,000. Even before the purchase, however, Billings' family had owned the estate since its founding: former South Carolina Governor James Henry Hammond, who was also Billings' great-granfather, built Redcliffe. There are a total of 62 photograph albums in the John Shaw Billings Papers collection, housed at the South Caroliniana Library.
Joseph Winter Photograph Collection
In his capacity as the director of Columbia’s Urban Rehabilitation Commission between the years 1965 and 1980, Joseph E. Winter (1920–1992) played an integral role in Columbia’s development. While eradicating slums and other substandard housing, he also worked to improve the quality of life for Columbia’s residents by ensuring them adequate housing and sanitation. His agency’s work can also be credited with the preservation and restoration of some of Columbia’s most historic neighborhoods and landmarks, including Ainsley Hall and the Hampton-Preston Mansion.
Kenneth Frederick Marsh Photograph Collection
Many of the over 700 photographs by Kenneth Frederick Marsh (d. 1968) available in this collection have not been published. Some were used to illustrate books by photographer Marsh and his wife, Blanche Marsh. The photographs and negatives depict historic and modern homes, public buildings, textile mills, churches, and scenes of South Carolina and Flat Rock, N.C.
USC Buildings and Grounds Photographs
The University of South Carolina was originally established as the South Carolina College in 1801. When the college opened in 1805, it had one building, two professors, and nine students. By 1860, the campus had developed into what is now called the Horseshoe, plus Longstreet Theatre. The campus remained limited to these nineteenth-century buildings in the Horseshoe area until 1909. The construction of Davis College that year began the continuing process of expanding and redeveloping the campus to meet the changing needs of the state's flagship university. This evolution of the University's physical structures is documented in these images, which are drawn from the collections of the University Archives.
Views of Columbia, S.C.
This digital collection brings together photographs of Columbia, S.C. from many different collections in the South Caroliniana Library. Dating from the 1880s through the 20th century, these photographs provide a visual record of the changes seen in the city. This collection will continue to grow and is not exhaustive of all of the Columbia images in the Caroliniana. Larger photograph collections such as the Joseph Winter Collection and the John Hensel Collection are digitized and available separately.
WPA Photograph Collection
This collection of photographs documents cities, towns, farms, lifestyles, landscapes, and other aspects of South Carolina life. Under the direction of Mabel Montgomery and Louise Jones DuBose, these photographs were produced and collected by the South Carolina Writer’s Project (SCWP) from 1936 to 1940. SCWP was part of the Writers’ Program of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), created in 1935 to create, among other things, a comprehensive guide to the states, cities, and regions of the United States. South Carolina: A Guide to the Palmetto State was published in 1941 and included many of the photographs in this collection. SCWP also published several other books on South Carolina, which used some of the images.