Browse by Topic
Browse by Library
Development of the Printed Page: 150 Examples of Handpress Printing and its Antecedents, ca. 1200 to 1937
This collection offers a wide survey of typography, page design, and book illustration spanning 500 years of printing in Europe and the Americas. Also included are manuscript leaves from the medieval and early modern periods, including some examples from the Middle East.
Government Information Pamphlet Collection
This collection contains over 400 pamphlets from the Federal Security Agency and Health, Education and Welfare programs discussing a wide variety of subjects. These pamphlets, ranging in dates from the 1930s – 1970s, can also be found in the online catalog. Government information pamphlets from other agencies as well will continue to be added to this collection.
Official Program of the Mid-Winter Session of the Bishop's Council of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, February 14, 1923
This item documents the 1923 meeting in Columbia, S.C., of the Bishops' Council of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The session convened at Bethel A.M.E. Church, the impressive, masonry structure built in 1921 at the corner of Sumter and Taylor Streets. This publication is significant for its portraits and biographical sketches of African American ministers and their wives from around the United States.
Phosphates in South Carolina, 1870 - 1890
During the late 19th century the discovery of phosphate deposits in the Charleston and Florence areas marked the beginning of a rapidly growing industry in South Carolina. Phosphates are rocks formed from the fossilized remains of sea creatures found in areas once covered by oceans. In South Carolina, phosphates were used as fertilizers to extend the life of crops. Freedmen flocked toward the industry seeking employment, and with the financial support of Northern financiers, Carolina farmers began production of this highly sought-after material.
Richard L. Walker In His Own Words
Dixie Walker dedicated his life and career to intercultural understanding and he utilized his knowledge of East Asia in his work at home and abroad. He taught in numerous prestigious institutions as a professor of international studies before joining the faculty of the University of South Carolina in 1957. He founded the Institute of International Studies at USC in 1961
South Carolina Pamphlets
The South Carolina pamphlet collection is comprised of 45 artificially bound volumes of separately published South Carolina imprints from the 19th and early 20th centuries.