Search for keyword or phrase:
Browse by Topic:
Browse by Department:
Browse by Material Types:
Carolina Students' Handbook
The Carolina Student’s Handbook offers a glimpse of the campus culture at the University of South Carolina from the 1920s through the 1940s. Published annually by the University’s YMCA and YWCA chapters, it was primarily aimed at freshman, and included information on the honor code, campus traditions, songs, organizations, athletics, and more. The handbook also urged students to shop at the local businesses that advertised in the handbook.
This site provides access to the digital archives of The Gamecock (Columbia, S.C.) newspaper covering the years 1908 to 2006. You can search by issue date or type in a keyword in the search box.
Garnet and Black Yearbooks
The USC Garnet and Black Yearbooks are currently being scanned and will be made available from this site as they are done. Each yearbook is searchable and browsable by section. The first available years are 1956, 1957, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1975. Eventually, we hope to have 1899 - 1994 scanned. The school stopped creating the yearbook and went to a magazine format in 1994.
University of South Carolina Football Program Covers
The University of South Carolina Football Program Covers showcases the unique artwork created to support and promote Gamecock football. The collection contains program covers ranging from 1923 to present. Football first came to Carolina in 1892 when a team played against Furman on Christmas Eve in Charleston, however, the football team was not sanctioned by the University and had to support themselves financially. In 1906, the Board of Trustees banned the football team from competition, because of the rude chants that filled the air games. By 1907, the Board was so harrassed by fans, alumni, and students to reinstate the sport that they relented, and Carolina fans have enjoyed a strong football program ever since.
University of South Carolina Reconstruction Records
In 1873, the University of South Carolina became the only state-supported Southern university to fully integrate during the Reconstruction Era that followed the Civil War. By 1876, the student body was predominately African-American. After Wade Hampton was elected governor and whites regained control of state government, the University was closed for reorganization in 1877, and reopened in 1880 as an all-white institution. It would remain all-white until desegregation in 1963.
University of South Carolina Student Exams, 1854 - 1917
These student examinations date largely from the second half of the 19th century, a period in which the University of South Carolina underwent significant changes not only in its curriculum but also in its student body, its faculty and its educational goals. The exams in this collection that date prior to 1873 reflect the South Carolina College's original incarnation as a classical institution. This purpose continued even during the American Civil War (1861 - 1865), although the small number of documents from that time demonstrate the impact that the conflict had on students, faculty and the institution itself. Exams from the Reconstruction period following the war (1873 - 1877) demonstrate a shift away from the classical and towards the practical as the university was integrated for the first time. Of particular interest are those exams which appear to be the work of African Americans, since these documents represent some of the few surviving records of these students and their important place in the university's history.
USC Buildings and Grounds Photographs
The University of South Carolina was originally established as the South Carolina College in 1801. When the college opened in 1805, it had one building, two professors, and nine students. By 1860, the campus had developed into what is now called the Horseshoe, plus Longstreet Theatre. The campus remained limited to these nineteenth-century buildings in the Horseshoe area until 1909. The construction of Davis College that year began the continuing process of expanding and redeveloping the campus to meet the changing needs of the state's flagship university. This evolution of the University's physical structures is documented in these images, which are drawn from the collections of the University Archives.