The Library Annex and Conservation Facility
Located in Northeast Columbia near the South Carolina State Archives, The Library Annex provides a solution to the overcrowding USC Libraries. This state-of-the-art building is designed to house infrequently used materials and maintain them in a controlled environment. The 19,000 square foot building consists of:
- 2,300 square feet preservation lab
- Two research / reading rooms
- Conference room
- 3,700 square feet processing, shipping, and receiving area
- Three offices and five workstations
- Staff lounge
- High density storage area known as "The Box". The storage box is 50 feet wide by 200 feet long by 38 feet high. There are 304 shelving units with 9,424 shelves totaling 380,000 cubic feet of shelf space. The capacity of the storage box is approximately 1.5 million volumes. The environmental point values of the Box are set at 50-55° Fahrenheit and 45-50% relative humidity. The site includes space for two additional storage boxes if the need arises.
Because items are stored by size rather than by subject matter, a sophisticated high density inventory control software is used to keep track of all the items, which are sent from all University Libraries. Items housed at the Library Annex are identified in the library catalog with a direct Web link to a request form. In case of an emergency, items may also be requested by e-mail, phone or fax. The inventory control system produces picking lists for items requested for use, and materials are delivered to the USC Columbia campus twice a day.
For patrons who need to use a large number of research materials, the Library Annex maintains two research rooms. Users should call to reserve a room at least two hours in advance and must show a valid university photo ID upon arrival or proof of affiliation with the University.
The Library Annex storage facility is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For more information, contact the Library Annex Manager, Nelson Rivera, at 803-896-0782 or e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org