6 tips from South Caroliniana Library's User Services team
There's a new way to access research materials in South Caroliniana Library's collections.
The User Services team is ready to help.
Though the South Caroliniana Library on the historic Horseshoe has closed for renovations, its vast collections are still available for study. The new process for accessing those collections isn’t difficult, but it is different.
The South Caroliniana Library's User Services area is now located in Thomas Cooper Library, on the Mezzanine Level, in the Graniteville Room.
Thomas Cooper Library is located at 1322 Greene Street, Columbia SC 29208. Find driving directions and a parking map here.
Head of User Services Mike Berry and Senior Library Specialist Lorrey Stewart offer these finding tips to save you time and yield a more thorough search.
How to find what you need:
1. Start with the online catalog. You can get an idea of the material we have, or you can search for specific material. Use the Classic Catalog Search at library.sc.edu/p/Collections/SCL. Some of our collection has been digitized and is accessible online. For links to our digitized material, go to library.sc.edu/p/Collections/SCL and scroll over “Digital Collections” to search by material type.
2. Email us at email@example.com. We know the collections well. Let us know what you are looking for and we can tailor a search for you or connect you to a curator for more in-depth searching. Using this email address will get a rapid response, usually within two to three hours during normal work hours.
3. Call us at 803-777-3132, or come by to see us in Thomas Cooper Library. We can assist you at the User Services Desk in the Graniteville Room.
How to access what you find:
1. If the Classic Catalog Search entry states that the item is located in “Graniteville Room,” the material is housed onsite. We can immediately pull the material and bring it to the Graniteville Reading Room for your use.
2. If the catalog entry states that the material is located at “Columbia Annex” or “Senate Street Annex,” the material is housed offsite and can be delivered to the Graniteville Reading Room in 24 hours.
3. If you already know what you want to see from our collections, let us know ahead of time and we’ll have it ready for you. Then make your way to Thomas Cooper Library.