First Folio! events offer plenty of family-friendly funThomas Cooper Library
Several family-focused events are taking place in conjunction with First Folio! The Book that Brought Us Shakespeare, on exhibit in the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library at the University of South Carolina now through April 30, 2016.
The events include:
-- Saturday, April 23
- -- 11:30 a.m. Swordplay and dancing demonstrations on the green at the front of Thomas Cooper Library
- -- Noon – 5 p.m., Happy Birthday, Shakespeare! An afternoon-long celebration of Shakespeare’s birthday to include USC Theatre’s Juke Box Shakespeare. A medley of The Bard’s masterpieces performed in an interactive, open-air setting. Performances at noon and 2 p.m. In front of Thomas Cooper Library
- -- The South Carolina Shakespeare Company members in period costume, armed with sabers and epees, describe and demonstrate the fighting methods in Shakespeare's time and in his plays. The company also presents and discusses Renaissance dances. Performances are 15 minutes long and are repeated throughout the afternoon. In front of Thomas Cooper Library
- -- 1 p.m., The Medicine Show, presented by The South Carolina Shakespeare Company. A performance of some of Shakespeare's most powerful scenes focusing on love, betrayal, health, healing, and reconciliation. Hollings Library
- -- 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m., Children’s shows featuring The South Caroline Shakespeare Apprentice Troupe and the Kidz Company. Hollings Library
- -- 4 p.m., Birthday cake served on the patio in front of Thomas Cooper Library.
-- Saturday, April 30
- -- 2 p.m., One Nation Under the Bard: Shakespeare Shows Us We Belong. The NiA Theatre Company brings on the works of Shakespeare as only it can — funny, funky and a little dangerous. NiA asks the burning questions What if Shakespeare wrote pop music? And Is Kanye West "Shakespeare in the flesh?" NiA’s performance will help you answer them. Hollings Library
Other venues in the Columbia area also offer family-friendly programming related to First Folio! See the full schedule at http://library.sc.edu/p/firstfolio.