Table of Contents
-Scope and Content
||Diplomas and Certificates:
- One certificate of membership into Sigma Alpha Iota for Evelyn McGarrity, dated December 15, 1964.
- Sara Evelyn McGarrity’s certificate in voice from Andrew College, Cuthbert, GA, dated 21 May, 1945.
- Sara Evelyn McGarrity’s diploma from Andrew College, Cuthbert, GA, dated 21 May, 1945.
- Sarah Evelyn McGarrity’s diploma for a bachelor of music degree from Wesleyan Conservatory of Music and School of Fine Arts, dated 31 May 1948.
- Sarah Evelyn McGarrity’s diploma for a master of music degree from Indiana University School of Music, dated 8 September 1958.
- Evelyn McGarrity’s certificate of membership into the National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc. Dated 31 December 1962.
- 1995 University of South Carolina School of Music Faculty Citation from Dean Dorothy K. Payne to Evelyn McGarrity “in recognition of outstanding achievement as a voice teacher and mezzo-soprano soloist.”
||Programs 1945-1954: (front pages or brief info only)
- “Andrew College/ presents/ Evelyn McGarrity, Contralto/ (Pupil of Katherine Hutton)/ in Certificate Recital/ assisted by Joyce Davis, Organist/ (Pupil of Charles Iler)/ March 16, 1945/ Eight O’clock/ College Auditorium”
- “Twenty-Third Annual/ Christmas Carol Service” The Emory Glee Club, Wesleyan Conservatory, December 7th, 1947. On the back of the program is a hand-written poem “In the desert…” by Stephen Crane.
- “Nineteenth Annual Conference/ 165th District/ Rotary International/ District Governor’s Banquet/ Monday, March 22, 1948/ Sheraton Bon Air Hotel/ Augusta, Georgia”
- “Wesleyan College and School of Fine Arts/ Macon, Georgia/ Senior Voice Recital/ by/ Evelyn McGarrity/ Mezzo-Soprano/ From the class of Vladimir Zorin/ Accompanied by Evelyn Smith/ Wesleyan Conservatory Auditorium/ Wednesday Eve., April 14, 1948/ 8:30 o’clock”
- “Wesleyan College/ 1836-1948/ Baccalaureate Sermon/ and/ Sacred Service/ Mulberry Street Methodist Church/ Sunday Morning/ May 30, 1948/ Eleven-thirty”
- “Wesleyan College/ 1836-1948/ Commencement Exercises” 11:00 AM May 31, 1949
- One program from the First Methodist Church of Albany, GA. “The Ministry of Music Presents ‘The Messiah’ Monday, December 19, 1949- 8:30 PM”
- “The Woman’s Societies of Christian Service/ of the/ Savannah Methodist Churches/ presents/ Evelyn McGarrity, Mezzo-Soprano/ with/ Dorothy Neidlinger Murray/ at the piano/ Monday Evening/ September 18, 1950- 8:30 o’clock/ Wesley Monumental Social Hall”
- One program from the week of November 13, 1950 from the Schubert Theater. Program is for Gian-Carlo Menotti’s “The Consul.” Slip of paper inside the program states: “At this performance the role of the Mother will be sung by Elinor Warren and the role of Vera Baronell will be sung by Evelyn McGarrity.”
- One program from the week of January 1, 1951 from the Schubert Theater. Program is for Gian-Carlo Menotti’s “The Consul.”
- “University of Utah/ Extension Division/ Master Minds and Artists Series/ presents/ The Robert Shaw Chorale/ and/ Concert Orchestra/ Robert Shaw, Conductor/ Friday, October 12, 1951/ 8:30 PM/ Tabernacle”
- One program from the 1951-1952 Season prospectus from the Savannah Music Club.
- "The Community Concert Association presents Elena Nikolaidi..." autographed program from the 1951-1952 concert season.
- One program from the Choral Masterworks Series, Robert Shaw, Conductor. Performances at Carnegie Hall, 1952. Program cover lists Robert Shaw Chorale and Concert Orchestra, Collegiate Chorale, RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra, and Crane Chorus and Orchestra of State University Teacher’s College, Potsdam, NY. Program lists dates in January, February, April, and May.
- One program from the “Fourth Event of the 1951-1952 History and Enjoyment of Music Series, Section I.” Performance by the Robert Shaw Chorale and Concert Orchestra, March 16, 1952. 3:30 PM, Orchestra Hall, Chicago, IL.
- One program from the April 27, 8:30 PM, 1952 concert of the Choral Masterwork Series, with the Collegiate Chorale, The Robert Shaw Chorale, and the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra.
- One supplement of program notes to the April 27, 8:30 PM, 1952 concert of the Choral Masterwork Series.
- University of Florida Lyceum Council presents Robert Merrill. October 23, 1952.
- “The Cathedral of the Incarnation/ Advent and Christmas Portions / of/ ‘The Messiah’/ by George Friedrich Handel/ The Long Island Choral Society/ Sunday, December 14th, 1952/ at Four o’clock”
- "University of Florida Lyceum Council presents Eleanor Steber." Autographed program from the 1953-1954 season.
- One program in Italian for a vocal concert, dated October 20, 1953. The program mentions the participation of American Fulbright students.
- One program in Italian from Spoleto, 7-26 of September, 1954.
- One program in Italian from Spoleto, September 24, 1954.
- "Lyceum Council presents Mildred Miller." Autographed program from the 1954-1955 concert season.
- Williams College Glee Club and the Berkeley Glee Club in concert. March 4, 1955.
- “Under the Stars”: the Savannah Pops Orchestra. June 10, 1955.
- Transylvania Music Camp- The Brevard Music Center, 1955 Season. Program includes concerts on July 22, July 24, and July 26.
- Highlands High School, Highlands, North Carolina. Orchestra of the Faculty and Staff from the Brevard Music Center, Brevard, North Carolina. July 23, 1955.
- The Methodist Assembly, Lake Junaluska, North Carolina, presents Evelyn McGarrity. August 6, 1955.
- The Augusta Choral Society presents Verdi’s Requiem to the Memory of Alessandro Manzoni. Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church, November 8, 1955.
- The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, 1955-1956 season. Soloist- Evelyn McGarrity, Contralto. January 10.
- The Savannah Symphony Orchestra. March 5, 1956.
- The Musicale. Evelyn McGarrity, Mezzo-Soprano. Martha Lawson, Pianist. Russell Auditorium at the Georgia State College for Women. Milledgeville, Georgia. January 23, 1957.
- Indiana University School of Music. Graduate Recital. Evelyn McGarrity, Soprano. February 28, 1957.
- The School of Fine Arts at Wesleyan College. Faculty Recital by Evelyn McGarrity. April 23, 1957.
- National Federation of Music Clubs Concert presenting 1957 Young Artist Auditions Winners. May 1, 1957.
- Indiana University School of Music. Tosca by Giacomo Puccini. July 5, 6, 12, and 13, 1957.
- The Wednesday Afternoon Musical Club presents Evelyn McGarrity. February 19, 1958.
- Indiana University School of Music. Parsifal by Richard Wagner. March 30, 1958.
- "The Atlanta Music Club presents All Star Concert Series...Maria Meneghini Callas." Program booklet has several clippings about Callas's career included. October 14, 1958.
- Atlanta Music Club Salon Series. January 4, 1959.
- "Carreno Music Club, Inc. presents Cesare Valletti." March 20, 1959.
- North Carolina Symphony Orchestra. April 20, 1959.
- North Carolina Symphony Orchestra. May 1, 1959.
- The Chancel Choir and Wesley Singers of The First Methodist Church, Lubbock, Texas, present Messiah by Handel. December 6, 1959.
||Programs 1960-1986 and undated
- Texas Technical College Faculty Recital of Evelyn McGarrity. March 15, 1960.
- The Augusta Choral Society performs Verdi’s Requiem. Monday, March 28, 1960 and Tuesday, March 29, 1960.
- The Seminole Music Club Concert Series presents Evelyn McGarrity. April 24, 1960.
- Andrew College presents Evelyn McGarrity. Thursday, January 5, 1961.
- 43rd Annual Convention of the Georgia Federation of Music Clubs. May 8-10, 1962.
- The Summer Opera Workshop presents “An Evening of Opera.” Stanford University Department of Music. August 7, 1962.
- Stanford University Department of Music presents Evelyn McGarrity. June 28, 1963.
- Louisiana State University School of Music presents Winterreise. December 3, 1963.
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College School of Music presents Billie Jean Dawson, Mezzo-Soprano in senior recital. January 9, 1964. (Student of Evelyn McGarrity)
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College School of Music presents Carolyn Berthelot, Soprano in senior recital. January 13, 1964. (Student of Evelyn McGarrity)
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College School of Music concert. Evelyn McGarrity is a mezzo-soprano soloist. January 16, 1964.
- Twenty-first Festival of Contemporary Music. April 17-21, 1964 at Louisiana State University.
- Louisiana State University School of Music presents Frances Larimer, pianist; Evelyn McGarrity, mezzo-soprano; George Walter, accompanist; in faculty recital. May 17, 1964.
- National Association of Teachers of Singing presents Evelyn McGarrity in recital, August 5, 1964. Louisiana State University.
- The Music Club of Baton Rouge in the first program of its fifty-sixth season presents Evelyn McGarrity. October 13, 1964.
- Louisiana State University in New Orleans College of Liberal Arts. Song recital. February 10, 1965.
- 18th Annual Davidson College Fine Arts Festival. Recital of Evelyn McGarrity, March 5, 1965.
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College School of Music presents Edith Killgore Kirkpatrick, Soprano in Graduate Recital. March 23, 1965. (Student of Evelyn McGarrity)
- University of Florida Department of Music presents Evelyn McGarrity in Faculty Recital. February 19, 1967.
- American Guild of Organists. Three public concerts of the anniversary year. Concert of sacred choral literature. Evelyn McGarrity is listed as an alto soloist in excerpts from “Elijah.” February 24, 1968.
- The University of South Carolina at Beaufort presents “An Evening of Duets.” January 21, 1985.
- Program from Columbia’s First Baptist Church, June 1, 1986.
- Artist concert: Evelyn McGarrity. n.d. [Columbia, SC?]
- The Community Concert Association presents the Robert Shaw Chorale and Concert Orchestra, 1951-1952.
- The Institute of International Education presents Tong Il Han, pianist, and Evelyn McGarrity, soprano, to be introduced by Mrs. Charles Guggenheimer. April 26, n.y.
- One page torn from a larger booklet. One side has a photo and biography of Evelyn McGarrity. Reverse is the program to be performed. n.d.
- Group of seven undated concert programs from the Civic Music Association. All programs are autographed.
- Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Centre, New York, NY. March 1992. Pictured: Richard Conant, Laury Christie, Evelyn McGarrity, Dave Quackenbush.
- Untitled. Evelyn McGarrity sings on stage with an orchestra.
- Untitled. Evelyn McGarrity stands on stage with many other young women. McGarrity is second from the left, standing by the piano.
- Untitled. Group of young women on stage, dressed in white, posing with a man.
- Two photocopies of McGarrity's portrait that hangs in the Music Library.
- Photograph of the performance of Verdi's Requiem at Reid Memorial Church in Augusta, Georgia. Photo is stamped with date: November 8, 1955.
- Photograph of Evelyn McGarrity and John Branch. Caption on reverse: "Lynchburg, VA. March 8, '52. Me & John Branch. Woo-Woo!!"
- Photograph of Evelyn McGarrity asleep. Caption on the reverse: "Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z"
- Photograph of Evelyn McGarrity at a piano. Photo taken at Texas Tech.
- Photograph of a performance of "Riders to the Sea" by Ralph Vaughan-Williams.
- Photograph on heavy paper. Written on bottom right: "Cavalleria Rusticana, Feb. 1958. I.U. [Indiana University.]" Two copies.
- Photograph of a Parsifal rehearsal, April, 1958.
- 3.5" x 4.5" autographed photo of Lauritz Melchior.
- One autographed photo of Eleanor Steber.
|Promotion Candidate Notebook
Back to top