For most users
American Factfinder: Census 2000 data will be released here first. Factfinder allows you to:
- search for data by address.
- access frequently requested tables and thematic maps from the Basic Facts box or Quick Tables from the 1990 & 2000 Censuses.
- compare Census data for different areas with the Geographic Comparison Tables feature.
- access detailed tables, create and download custom tables and thematic maps from all Census, Census Supplementary Survey, American Community Survey (1996-1999) and Economic Census (1997) data.
- locate census geographic areas using the Reference Maps feature.
- User guides available
2000 Census School District Demographics: Data by school district - school district geography is not available on American Factfinder. From the National Center for Education Statistics.
- District profiles: demographic data by district, compare districts and download data in .csv format.
- Map Viewer: interactive maps of school districts in a state, compare 2 districts, display demographic data on school district map and download boundary or shape data.
- Data download: download states data in .csv, tab-delimited ASCII and SAS formats.
- User guides.
FreeDemographics.com offers access to all available Census 2000 data also.
- Free registration allows you to create and save custom reports.
- Includes some 1990, 1980 and 1970 data.
- User guide
- S.C. Census 2000 Tables and Profiles for the state, counties, places and census tracts and profiles [HTML & PDF]
- Additional Census data: Population projections, SF3 profiles
- S.C. Community Profiles: comprehensive individual county profiles and tables comparing counties.
- 1990 County Profiles
- S.C. GIS - includes Census 2000 TIGER/Line files, P 94-171 data and district maps.
Rankings & Comparisons: Summarize data from American Factfinder or present other tabulations of Census 2000 data. [Excel, PDF, ASCII]
Census Briefs & Special Reports: short analytical briefs and in-depth analytical reports. [PDF]
Census 2000 PDF Reports: Quick access to PDF reports including demographic profiles, PHC-1, PHC-2, Mapping Census 2000 and technical documentation.
Some data will also be published on CD-ROM or DVD or in print. The Documents & Microforms department will receive these items as part of the federal depository library program, but they will generally be available only after similar data on the Internet.
CD-ROMs/DVDs will provide faster access to large datasets with no download limits and different functionality from Factfinder. Software is provided for manipulation, basic calculation and extraction of datasets in different formats.
- 108th Congressional District Summary Files C 3.282/4:108
User Guide (Census Bureau)
- Census 2000 Summary File 3 C 3.282/2:V 1-D 00-S 3 ST-08-US 1
User Guide (Census Bureau)
- Census 2000 Summary File 2 C 3.282/2-3:2000/DVD
User Guide (Census Bureau)
- Census 2000 Summary File 1 C 3.282:2000
User Guide 1 (Census Bureau) | User Guide 2 (U. of Michigan)
perform custom calculations including percentages.
create or select custom or multiple geographical areas including custom radii from a point (latitude and longitude required) and locate data for the area created.
download datasets without restriction in various formats (Excel, .csv, several versions of Dbase, FoxPro).
- Census 2000 Modified Race Data Summary File C 3.75:R 11/2/CD
"...containing modified race categories based on Census 2000 data tabulated by age, sex, and Hispanic origin for counties in the United States and Puerto Rico. This summary file provides data from Census 2000 that have been modified to assign each of the persons in the "Some other race" category to an Office of Management and Budget (OMB) race category. The modified race data include 31 race groups which are the single and multiple race combination of the OMB race categories: White, Black or African American, American Indian and Alaska Native, Asian and Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander."
- Census 2000 Redistricting Data (P.L. 94-171) Summary File (May 2001) C 3.275:R 24/DVD User Guide
- Race and Hispanic or Latino Summary File (May 2001)C 3.275:R 11/CD
Subset of Census 2000 Redistricting Data DVD - same data provided for main geographic areas only (U.S., regions, divisions, states, counties, consolidated cities, places, American Indian Areas, Alaska Native Areas, Hawaiian Home Land Areas).
- TIGER/Line Redistricting Census 2000 C 3.279/3:2000
Database of geographic features, legal boundaries and Census 2000 statistical boundaries.
- PHC-1 Summary Population and Housing Characteristics
C 3.223/18:2000 PHC-1-no. Individual state volume. Also available on the Internet.
- Census data by FTP: direct FTP access to datasets and documentation from the 1980, 1990, 2000 Censuses. [ASCII & PDF reports for 2000
- Census 2000 data files from ICPSR. Support for ICPSR data at USC is available from the Academic and Research Data Center.
Census History [PDF]
Selected Historical Census Data - population, housing, income and poverty data from the Census Bureau.
SOCDS Census Data: selected 1970-present census data for metropolitan central cities and metropolitan suburban places. Use the SOCDS Census Query Builder at the bottom of the page to create tables for download in .csv format or to download entire dataset.
U.S. Historical Census Data Browser (1790-1960) National, state and county statistics.
1990 Census CD-ROMs : detailed list of contents. CD-ROMs are available in the Documents department.
The only microfilm copies of census forms in the department are:
1820: Illinois, Virginia
1840: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio
1860: Iowa, Virginia
1870: Iowa, Virginia, West Virginia
The department does not have facsimiles of census forms for any other census years or states. It has published statistics and reports derived from the decennial censuses. These do not include information on individuals.
- Reference Maps: locate maps all census geographies from census blocks to states.
- Thematic Maps: census data displayed on maps.
Printable Maps - Census 2000 County Block Maps, Voting District/State Legislative District Outline Maps, Census Tract Outline Maps.
Note: A plotter is required for printing entire maps. [PDF] Use American Factfinder for 6"x6.5" maps.
- S.C. GIS: includes South Carolina Census 2000 TIGER/Line files, PL 94-171 data and district maps.
- Census 2000 TIGER/Line files for the whole country.[Shapefile format][ASCII format]
- Cartographic Boundary Files
- Congressional Districts - 106th Congress map layers.
- Districting Extension for ArcView