CD-ROMs and DVDs may be used in the department and may be available for checking out. Arrangements for viewing videos can be made.
Department of Education (ED)
- 1991 Survey of Recent College Graduates, Public Release File ED 1.334/2:SU 7/CD
- The RCG was designed to analyze the occupational outcomes and educational experiences of bachelor's and master's degree recipients who graduated from colleges and universities in the continental US. The survey was conducted in 1976, 1978, 1981, 1985, 1987 and 1991. More recent data collections of a longitudinal nature are undertaken by B&B.
- 1993 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty, Public Use Faculty and Institution Files, January 1998, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:F 11/CD
- The NSOPF was designed to provide data about faculty to postsecondary education researchers, planners, and policymakers. NSOPF is currently the most comprehensive study of faculty in postsecondary educational institutions. The NSOPF is a survey of faculty in 2-year or higher accredited postsecondary institutions, institution-level representatives, and department chair-persons. The survey was initially conducted during the 1987-88 school year and was repeated in 1992-93.
- 1995 Third International Mathematics and Science Study Data, User's Guide, and United States Technical Report Compilation, September 2001, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:M 42/5/CD
- Data in ASCII format. Includes software for data output in SAS and SPSS formats.
- 1996 National and State Summary Data Tables, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:D 26/3/CD
- Mathematics and science results from the 1996 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) and the 1996 NAEP State Assessments. NAEP survey website has updated data.
- Attaining Excellence, TIMSS As A Starting Point to Examine Teaching, Eighth-Grade Mathematics Lessons: United States, Japan, and Germany, ORAD 97-1023R, (VIDEO) ED 1.334/2:M 42/VIDEO
- Baccalaureate and Beyond Longitudinal Study Second Follow-up, DAS, Public Access-Data Analysis System, December 1999, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:B 12/CD
- The first B&B cohort included students, identified in NPSAS:93, who completed a bachelor's degree in 1992-93. Those students were asked a number of questions about their future employment and education expectations as well as about their undergraduate education. The B&B:93 first follow-up in 1994 (B&B:93/94) collected information about job search activities after graduation as well as information concerning education and employment experiences after graduation. Individuals who had shown an interest in becoming teachers were asked additional questions about their pursuit of this career, and if teaching, about their current teaching position. In addition, the first follow-up collected undergraduate transcripts whenever possible. The second follow-up in 1997 (B&B:92/97) collected information on education, employment, and other experiences since the last interview. It also collected current Federal aid and loan status information.
- Beginning Postsecondary Students Longitudinal Study, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:P 84/yr/CD
- The BPS followed first time beginning students from the NPSAS conducted in 1989-90. NPSAS:90 asked additional questions of students eligible for BPS concerning background and experiences related to completion of postsecondary education. The BPS:90/92 data further describe the experiences during, and transitions through, postsecondary education and into the labor force, as well as family formation. Transfers, persisters, stopouts/dropouts, and vocational completers were among those who completed interviews in the first follow-up conducted in 1992. In the second follow-up, conducted in 1994, many will have completed a bachelor's degree as well. Base year (NPSAS:90) data and first follow-up (BPS:(90/92) are available as a single data file.
- Common Core of Data (CCD), School Years … through ..., (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:C 73/yr range
- A comprehensive, annual, national statistical database of information concerning all public elementary and secondary schools (approximately 91,000) and school districts (approximately 16,000). The CCD consists of five surveys completed annually by state education departments from their administrative records. Information included are: a general description of schools and school districts, including name, address, and phone number; data on students and staff, including demographics; and fiscal data, including revenues and current expenditures.
- Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, Kindergarten Class of 1998-99, Data Files and Electronic Codebook, etc., March 2002, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:C 43/2002/CD
- Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, Kindergarten Class of 1998-99, Data Files and Electronic Code Book, ECLS-K Base Year Public-Use, February 2001, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:C 43
- The Early Childhood Longitudinal Study (ECLS) Program has both descriptive and analytic purposes. The descriptive purposes are to provide national data on (1) children's status at birth and at various points thereafter; (2) children's transitions to nonparental care, early education programs, and school; and (3) children's experiences and growth through the fifth grade. The analytic purpose of the program is to provide data to test hypotheses about the effects of a wide range of family, school, community, and individual variables on children's development, early learning, and early performance in school. CD-ROM includes schoo. Teacher and child data in ASCII format, software, data files, electronic codebooks, survey instruments, record layouts. Project website does not include data.
- Education Satistics on Disk, CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:ST 2/996/CD
- 2,600 tables, charts and text files from NCES publications:
- ENC: a collection of curriculum standards and frameworks for mathematics and science education, (CD-ROM) ED 1.340/3:vol./no.
- Publications, resources, multimedia. Each CD-ROM covers a different topic. Organization website.
- Fathers' Involvement in Children's Learning, Tool Kit, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:F 26/CD
- Materials and resources on fathers' involvement in children's learning, including examples of effective practices.
- High School & Beyond, Fourth Follow-Up (sophomore Cohort HS&B:1992, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:H 53/2/CD
- The HS&B describes the activities of seniors and sophomores as they progressed through high school, postsecondary education, and into the workplace. The data span 1980 through 1992 and include parent, teacher, high school transcripts, student financial aid records, and postsecondary transcripts in addition to student questionnaires and interviews.
- High School and Beyond ED 1.334:980-86/CD
- 1980-1986. The HS&B describes the activities of seniors and sophomores as they progressed through high school, postsecondary education, and into the workplace. The data span 1980 through 1992 and include parent, teacher, high school transcripts, student financial aid records, and postsecondary transcripts in addition to student questionnaires and interviews.
- IEA Civic Education Study, August 2002, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:C 49/CD
- IEA Civic Education Study, August 2002; Revised May 2003, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:C 49/2003/CD
- "The Civic Education Study (CivEd), conducted in 1999, will provide information on what U.S. ninth-graders know about democratic practices and institutions in relationship to students in 27 other participating countries." Contains data files (ASCII), electronic code book, user's guide, tutorial, individual codebooks for the school, teacher and student data and a crosswalk of U.S. to international variables. Project website.
- IPEDS, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/4:yr
- 1990-1995. The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), established as the core postsecondary education data collection program for NCES, is a system of surveys designed to collect data from all primary providers of postsecondary education. IPEDS is a single, comprehensive system designed to encompass all institutions and educational organizations whose primary purpose is to provide postsecondary education. The IPEDS system is built around a series of interrelated surveys to collect institution-level data in such areas as enrollments, program completions, faculty, staff, finances, and academic libraries.
- Loan Arranger Consolidation, December 2000, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:L 78
- Powerpoint presentation on consolidating multiple federal education loans into a single loan.
- NAEP Data on Disk, 1994 Almanac Viewer ED 1.334/2:AL 6/CD
- In 1994, the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) assessed the reading, U.S. History, and geography knowledge and skills of nationally representative samples of students in grades 4, 8, and 12. NAEP also assessed representative samples of students from 44 states and jurisdictions in reading (grade 4). The almanacs are cross tabulations of important demographic subgroups such as gender, race/ethnicity, and parental education crossed with student proficiency data or background information from students, teachers, and schools. Related website.
- National Center for Education Statistics, Data for Decisions, Resources from the National Center for Education Statistics, November 1996, (Video) ED 1.334/2:D 35/VIDEO
- National Center for Education Statistics, Schools and Staffing Survey: Electronic Codebook and Public Use Data ED 1.332:SCH 6/2/yr-range/CD
- 1990-1994. Collects extensive data on American public and private elementary and secondary schools. SASS provides data on characteristics and qualifications of teachers and principals, teacher hiring practices, professional development, class size and other conditions in schools. Survey website has more recent surveys and related publications.
- National Education Longitudinal Study: 1988-94 Data Files and Electronic Codebook System, 1999 Re-release, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:ED 8/yr/CD
- Provides trend data about critical transitions experienced by young people as they develop, attend school, and embark on their careers. Data were collected from students and their parents, teachers, and high school principals and from existing school records such as high school transcripts. Cognitive tests (math, science, reading, and history) were administered during the base year (1988), first follow up (1990), and second follow up (1992). Third follow up data were collected in 1994. All dropouts, who could be located, were retained in the study.
- National Household Education Survey, 96, 1991, 1993, 1995, and 1996 Surveys Data Files and Electronic Codebook, etc., (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/5:991/993/995/996
- The NHES is a data collection system designed to collect information from households on a variety of education-related issues. Surveys have been fielded during the spring of 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, and 1999. Surveys conducted by NHES have focused on adult education & lifelong learning, civic involvement, early childhood program participation, school readiness, household library use, parent involvement in education and school safety & discipline.
- National Longitudinal Study of the High School Class of 1972, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:H 53/CD
- The NLS-72 describes the transition of young adults from high school through postsecondary education and the workplace. The data span 1972 through 1986 and include postsecondary transcripts.
- NPSAS, National Postsecondary Student Aid Study: Public Use Data File, (CD-ROM) ED 1.333:yr range
- 1986-1996. The NPSAS is a comprehensive study that examines how students and their families pay for postsecondary education. It includes nationally representative samples of undergraduates, graduate and first-professional students; students attending public and private less-than-2-year institutions, community colleges, 4-year colleges, and major universities. Students who receive financial aid as well as those who do not receive financial aid participate in NPSAS. Survey website has related information and publications.
- NSOPF:99 National Study of Postsecondary Faculty (DAS), August 2001 ED 1.334/2:F 11/99/CD
- Contains Data Analysis System (DAS) Windows software for use with NCES survey data. Software and instructions for use available on the Internet.
- Partners for Learning: Preparing Teachers to Involve Families, etc., Teacher and Administrator Preparation Kit, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:P 25/2/CD
- Presentation materials on educator preparation for family involvement in education with examples of best practice.
- Partnership for Family Involvement in Education, Presentation Materials, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:P 25/CD
- Speaker's notes and overheads addressing each of four sectors of the Partnership for Family Involvement for Education - family-school groups, community organizations, religious groups, employers and lays out research-based rationale and activities to support local level family involvement in education. Related website.
- Partnership for Family Involvement in Education, Tool Kit, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:P 25/4/CD
- Materials and resources on family involvement in education.
- Private School Online Directory, July 2000, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:SCH 6/2/CD
- Public Library Data FY... on Disk, Volumes 1 and 2, (FLOPPY) ED 1.334/3:yr/V.1-2
- FY 1995, 1996.
- Public-Use Data, National Center for Education Statistics, The Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) and Teacher Followup, (TFS) etc., June 1998 (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:SCH 6/CD
- 1987-88 SASS, 1988-89 TFS, 1990-91 SASS, 1991-92 TFS, 1993-94 SASS, 1994-95 TFS.
- Pursuing Excellence, Eighth-Grade Findings From the Third International Math and Science Study, (Video) ED 1.334/2:EX 2/VIDEO
- SASS, Schools and Staffing Survey, 1987-1988 ED 1.332:SC 6/CD
- Collects extensive data on American public and private elementary and secondary schools. SASS provides data on characteristics and qualifications of teachers and principals, teacher hiring practices, professional development, class size and other conditions in schools. Microdata and documentation. ASCII, SAS and SPSS files.
- Senior Project at SERVE, The SENIOR PROJECT: A Guide to Developing and Judging a Senior Project Presentation, (VIDEO) ED 1.348/4:SE 5
- State Library Agencies Data FY..., On Disk, (FLOPPY) ED 1.334/2:AG 3/yr
- Includes such data as: governance, public service hours, number and types of service outlets, type and size of collections, library service transactions and development transactions, support of electronic information networks, allied operations, staff, and income and expenditures. Also contains data on public, academic, school, and special libraries.
- Student Aid Audio Guide 2002-2003, Student Financial Assistance, (CD-ROM) ED 1.83:ST 9/CD
- Annual. Audio CD.
- Teacher Change Improving K-12 Mathematics, ENC Eisenhower National Clearinghouse, 1999, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:M 42/4/CD
- A collection of resources to help educators and professional development providers facilitate discussion and reflection on improving K-12 mathematics. The materials include professional development activities, TIMSS publications, articles about teacher change, and teacher narratives.
- The NAEP 1997 Arts Report Card, Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Arts, Eight-Grade Findings from the National Assessment of Education Progress, 1999, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:AR 7/CD
- The National Education Goals Report, 1994-1995, (CD-ROM) ED 1.1/302:994-95
- Recent editions on the Internet.
- Videotape Classroom Study: Third International Math and Science Study, (CD-ROM) ED 1.334/2:M 42/CD
- Clips from 6 public-use videotaped eighth-grade mathematics lessons (2 lessons each from Germany, Japan, U.S.); lesson tables for the mathematics lessons.