For general Imaging Best Practices follow the guidelines set by the
Western States Digital Standards Group, Digital Imaging Best Practices,
SCANNING GUIDELINES AND DIRECTIONS
Calibrate scanner once a week.
All images should be scanned at no lower than 300ppi and a TIFF version should be saved as a Master copy.
- Wash hands and/or apply gloves when required
- Turn on Scanner
- Turn on Computer
- Place item on scanner
- Open Photoshop from desktop
- Open scanning software
- Select correct resolution, bit depth, color, etc., chosen by Project Team
- Review file in Photoshop for quality
- Save as a TIFF in TIFF project folder on the D drive of the computer, using the file scheme set up for the project
- While in Photoshop CS, go to file – info and add at least the following information
- Add Description
- Type in title designated by Project Team and your name as author (scanner)
- Add Origin
- Created Today (click button)
- Save TIFF again
- Save as JPEG in JPEG project folder on the D drive
- Choose quality level decided upon for the project
- Close file
- Repeat above for all images
- STAY ALERT, PAY ATTENTION to detail, and review work
- Move JPEGS to the S drive for Digital Activities Librarian to review and for Metadata Operators to access.
- Burn TIFFs to DVD and move them to the storage server.