I am thrilled to announce that after five months, the first phase of our NHPRC-funded grant project, Reprocessing and Digitizing the William D. Workman, Jr. Papers Photographs, is essentially complete.
In my last update, I had finished “rearranging the images in accordance with the processing plan, transferring them to more protective archival enclosures, and labeling them individually,” but the physical reprocessing of this subseries was not yet finished.
Since then, my revisions to the finding aid—including additions to the Scope and Content note—have been approved and incorporated into both the collection’s online PDF and its ArchivesSpace resource record. I have also labeled and renumbered the boxes and shelved the collection. Although I did not finish all of this by my personal “mid-January” deadline, we are still over a month ahead of our original deadline of March 16th.
I began digitizing images two weeks ago and have finished scanning and entering metadata for over 400 photographs. The collection includes about 3,500 images (slides, negatives, prints, scrapbook pages, and oversize prints). However, because we will not digitize any duplicates or images with questionable copyright, I estimate that the digital collection will consist of around 3,000 to 3,250 images. We plan to make these images available in batches of about 500, and hope to have the first set of digitized materials publicly available by the first week of March.
By Mae Howe
Reprocessing and digitization of the William D. Workman, Jr. Papers photographs has been made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications & Records Commission.