The database includes two series from Gale publishers: Something About the Author and Something About the Author: Autobiography Series. Contain illustrated biographies of children’s authors and illustrators.
Although concentrating on English-language writers, Something About the Author does include authors writing in other languages (ex. Aesop, Brothers Grimm, Antoine de Saint-Exupery).
The following newspaper databases offer full page and article images with searchable full text.
Atlanta Journal Constitution (1868-1945)
Chicago Defender (1910-1975)
Pittsburgh Courier (1911-2002)
Washington Post (1877-1996)
All are accessible from the Article Databases page alphabetically by title and are listed in the Newspaper type.
Factiva is one of the top business resources and is used in almost 80% of Fortune Global 500 companies. The database covers information on industries, public and private companies, business and management topics, and historical and current news. Factiva will now be the access point for The Wall Street Journal, allowing access to the reputable news source from 1979-present in full-text both on and off campus.
Factiva is also a valuable research tool for many other areas, including political science, media studies, technology, social sciences, journalism, and more. Factiva is a full-text, multimedia resource with images, charts, and audio/video content from 150+ sources.
Content available in Factiva includes:
- 3,500+ newspapers including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Financial Times, Washington Post, The Globe, English version of Al-Jazeera, and much more
- 4,200+ journals and magazines such as The Economist, Forbes, ComputerWorld, Newsweek, and L’Express
- 25 million profiles of public and private companies
- 10,000 pictures added weekly from sources like Reuters, McClatchy-Tribune, and Fairfax Photos
- EUR-Lex Database provides direct access to European Union Law containing directives, treatises, legislation, and case law from the EU
- 700 continuously updated newswires featuring news from Dow Jones, Reuters, The Associated Press, PR Newswire, and more
Contact the Business Library if you have questions or below are links for help in using Factiva.
In MICROMEDEX 2.0 you’ll find information on drugs including: identification (by imprint code or description), interactions, comparisons, pricing, and IV compatibility. You can also search for the toxicity of drugs, household products, chemicals and other substances.
Click on “Care Notes System” for easy-to-understand information written for lay people about aspects of patient care, medications, and health.
Business and financial data on more than 57,000 major, non-publicly traded corporations, including family owned, private equity owned, venture backed, and international unlisted companies. PrivCo also provides information on more than 9,000 private investors, 20,000 private M&A deals, and 11,000 venture capital funding rounds.
Dictionary of Literary Biography Complete Online, Literature Criticism Online (compilation of many of the big Gale sets of literary criticism), and Year’s Work in English Studies are now available online.
Dance, music, and theatre lovers can now find these databases from the University Libraries:
Classical Scores Library
Dance in Video
North American Theatre Online
Opera in Video