Welcome to Insider, a monthly guide for students from the University Libraries — Thomas Cooper Library, Hollings Special Collections Library, South Caroliniana Library, Music Library, and the online Business Library.
There’s a new study space with soft seating and a special venue for research-related talks and other events on the Main Level in Thomas Cooper Library. You’re invited to the first event in Scholars Corner: Leadership Starts Here Undergraduate Research Panel, a discussion featuring recipients of the 2017 Breakthrough Graduate Scholars Award. Part of the Provost’s Leadership Week.
Join us for one of these panels and enjoy free pizza. There’s no charge to attend.
New this semester in Thomas Cooper Library
- Wireless printing – Send your documents to print from wherever you are, pick them up at the library later
- Increased seating – Levels 1 and 2
- New furniture – Level 4
- Scholars Corner – Main Level, formerly the Mac Lab. Macs are now distributed throughout the library in areas specifically configured for them on Main, Level 5 Technology Lounge and Level 4.
- School supply vending machine – Main Level with other vending machines
- Drink machines – now on Main, Level 5 and Level 4
- Saturday, Jan. 28, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Open Gallery in Hollings Library, with a screening of The Case of Magnolia Dew, a film short based on Edgar Allan Poe’s story “The Cask of Amontillado” at 11 a.m., followed by a discussion with director George Mirabal. This is a companion event for the “Pondering Poe” display.
- Thursday, Feb. 9, noon, Historic Horseshoe Tour with Elizabeth West, begins at South Caroliniana Library
- Exhibit: “South Carolina Political Collections Celebrates African-American History Month,” Hollings Library, through Feb. 28
- Exhibit: “The Colorful Life of Anita Lobel: Highlights from the Anita Lobel Collection,” Hollings Library, through March 17
Tame the research beast